Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ugliest Board Game  (Read 12903 times)

RyanCDN

Ugliest Board Game
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
You know, I picked up something from a thrift store yesterday and it got me to thinking.

What do you think is one of the ugliest looking home games you have seen?

I know there are some that are nicer looking that others, by my vote goes to the 25th Anniversary edition of WoF.

I like the idea of the deluxe wheel coming back, but the whole thing is excessively silver.  The silver everywhere practically gave me the sensation of wanting to throw up.  Surely that amount of silver will trigger a migraine headache in somebody.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

alfonzos

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
I think I am going to enjoy this thread Ryan! I like the home games that most closely resemble their on-air counterparts. My vote for ugliest goes to The New Tic-Tac Dough by Ideal. It is garish with poorly chosen colors.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TimK2003

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'222527\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 08:14 PM\']I think I am going to enjoy this thread Ryan! I like the home games that most closely resemble their on-air counterparts. My vote for ugliest goes to The New Tic-Tac Dough by Ideal. It is garish with poorly chosen colors.[/quote]

Wasn't the New TTD game simply a repackaged Ideal Hollywood Squares game with a different "skin" and added category shuffle "wheel" on the back of the board?

/I used to love how cool & creative Ideal toys & games were back then, but I agree on the TTD game.
//IMHO, Ideal's Toss Across Tic tac toe board looked better than TTD's board.
///Toss Across used trilons.

SamPrainito

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
I'd have to go with Remote Control.  I remember being disappointed that the board in the home game looked nothing like the giant TV on the show.

Another disappointment was the board for the first edition Combs Feud game.  Compared to the board from the MB versions, it looked nothing like the one on the show.  And it was ugggggggggly!

What can I say?  I was George Constanza finicky as a childhood game show fan!

Jeremy Nelson

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:15:29 AM »
I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board, while the UK home version had full color rebuses. The whole set was blue, and there was no variation in color. It was the ugliest letdown I'd ever seen.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

William_S.

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »
1/2 off topic

I'll go with Aggravation. I'm sure some(if not most) of you had this game, and remember How uniformed and proper the game looked and played.  But now they just went and F[eeeep]ked it all up by "Nickelodeonizing" it with weird shapes, confusing patterns, putrid colors, and damn I can't even tell where the Hell I start at anymore! I was really starting to like that game too.  -_-.

Any way as far as ugly Gameshow themed game boards. hmmm.  I can't really think of any..hmmm(looks up)  Yeah the Combs version of Family Feud was ugly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:35:08 AM by William_S. »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 02:37:12 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'222559\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM\']I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board[/quote]It did?  First, I thought Pressman did the game.  I also thought the rebuses came in "sheets", and you would tear one off and insert it into the board.

It *has* been 15+ years, however.

Edit: I've been told I was incorrect and was thinking of the Endless version.  Clarification appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:15:12 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:45 AM »
As far as ugliest board games go, the dice table from the 1980'a version of High Rollers.  The color looked like it was burnt orange instead of fire engine red.  Even the number stickers didn't quite help.  I'd expect maybe some "hot" colors, but no such luck.  The only good thing about that table was it was scaled nicely to make it playable, but that was it.

Sodboy13

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'222570\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 01:37 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'222559\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM\']I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board[/quote]It did?  First, I thought Pressman did the game.  I also thought the rebuses came in "sheets", and you would tear one off and insert it into the board.

Edit: I've been told I was incorrect and was thinking of the Endless version.  Clarification appreciated.
[/quote]

FWIW, I have the Pressman version of CC, and the rebuses are on two-sided, individual sheets.  There's even a sticker on the back of the box advertising as much.  Must have been a change they made in later "printings".
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
If we're allowed to mention other than game shows, I have to go with the Dr. Laura board game that came out in the late 90s. It had her face on the cover. It also said on the box that it "teaches children values." I almost threw up in the aisle at Kmart right then and there. N0 - I didn't buy it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:35:07 AM by BillCullen1 »

Jeremy Nelson

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'222585\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 08:24 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'222570\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 01:37 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'222559\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM\']I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board[/quote]It did?  First, I thought Pressman did the game.  I also thought the rebuses came in "sheets", and you would tear one off and insert it into the board.

[/quote]

FWIW, I have the Pressman version of CC, and the rebuses are on two-sided, individual sheets.  There's even a sticker on the back of the box advertising as much.  Must have been a change they made in later "printings".
[/quote]
Well you guys are probably right...I know the second edition used the puzzle pages, and I thought the first edition used a roll-o-matic board. The Game Show Home Game Home Page used to have a page with all of the Concentration home games pictured, but it's not there anymore.

To the topic on hand, I really can't think of any UGLY games. Some had crude box art, and yes, some had rules that strayed  from the TV show ('92 Jeopardy! comes to mind), but I really can't think of any games where the equipment itself looked ugly. Some of the stuff from the 70s is crude, but brown, yellow, and orange were the all the rage back then.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

RyanCDN

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'222570\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 01:37 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'222559\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM\']I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board[/quote]It did?  First, I thought Pressman did the game.  I also thought the rebuses came in "sheets", and you would tear one off and insert it into the board.

[/quote]

I do not own this game, but my understanding is that they tinkered with the format withing this edition.  I also thought that there were some copies that included full color.  I think your reference of single sheets is correct though.   Whether some also include the roll of puzzles, I have no clue.  I could almost assure you Matt would know the ins and outs of this.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

MikeK

• Martha!
Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'222576\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 04:33 AM\']As far as ugliest board games go, the dice table from the 1980'a version of High Rollers.  The color looked like it was burnt orange instead of fire engine red.  Even the number stickers didn't quite help.  I'd expect maybe some "hot" colors, but no such luck.  The only good thing about that table was it was scaled nicely to make it playable, but that was it.[/quote]
I disagree.  The numbers weren't stickers.  They were cardboard pieces.  Sure, the game table was part of the box and maybe the colors didn't match 100%.  The pieces and parts looked like what were on the TV show.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'222570\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 02:37 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'222559\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM\']I remember being disappointed with the Classic Concentration board game....after seeing the box art, I thought the game inside would be awesome. Alas, no. They still used the roll-o-matic puzzle board[/quote]It did?  First, I thought Pressman did the game.  I also thought the rebuses came in "sheets", and you would tear one off and insert it into the board.

Edit: I've been told I was incorrect and was thinking of the Endless version.  Clarification appreciated.[/quote]
Are you sure?  I saw a Classic Concentration box game at a thrift store 2 weeks ago and I remember seeing the rebuses on sheets when I checked the contents.  Or what they said above me while I wrote this response.

I don't have a pick for an ugly home game right now.  Since I'm packing my games up today, I'm sure I'll find something worth sharing...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:57:35 AM by MikeK »

Don Howard

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222593\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 10:34 AM\']If we're allowed to mention other than game shows[/quote]
Oh, if we're going this route now, I thought the cover art for the Ben Casey box game was hideous.
All those sick patients and things.........yucko!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45797613@N00/307188004
On the 2nd edition box game for Match Game in the 70s, who are Norma and Carl?
Yanking myself back to topic, there was a box game for The Hollywood Squares featuring celebrities with misshapen cartoon faces which looked rather scary.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:15:00 PM by Don Howard »

tpirfan28

Ugliest Board Game
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »
I have a Pressman version of Classic Concentration, has a small #5750 in a corner, and it most definitely has a roll of non-color rebuses.

I'll dig it out later to give more specs.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"