Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picture of TPiR's new showcase podiums  (Read 66567 times)

Allstar87

Picture of TPiR's new showcase podiums
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 01:12:17 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'224027\' date=\'Aug 24 2009, 09:43 PM\']Is your Mean Bob of any relation to this one?[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. :)

tpirfan28

When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Argo

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
All i can say is TPIR is making up for staying with the same set for 20+ years albeit different colour schemes. And here's $100,000,000 Pyramid going the other way... they've gone the cheap warehouse look, now back to the 80s look with a bit modern feel. Hopefully TPIR will follow suit, something tells me not though.

Game shows don't have to look like the 70s, but they don't have to look stereotypical retro cheesy. The set is slowly going to the side of a stereotypical game show spoof set.

I used to watch Price cause it felt like though it was a fun show, it had a bit of class to it.. not too stale just classy. Now its a fun house with announcer optional basically saying "its a car" or... "its a jar of almonds". Before there was a point cause the company would get a plug but nothing now.

There are still people out there that like that kinda stuff. I like cheese on my pizza, not on tv. Guess that's why we have a need for GSN and classic shows.

Just my lil opinion.
Mark

Neumms

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'224066\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 11:28 AM\']Game shows don't have to look like the 70s, but they don't have to look stereotypical retro cheesy. The set is slowly going to the side of a stereotypical game show spoof set.

I used to watch Price cause it felt like though it was a fun show, it had a bit of class to it.. not too stale just classy. Now its a fun house with announcer optional basically saying "its a car" or... "its a jar of almonds".[/quote]

Amen, brother. TPIR was charmingly retro when Barker was around because it simply hadn't changed--it didn't try to be retro, it really was around that long. I don't mind that they're making changes, but they shouldn't camp it up. They should look to how "Wheel of Fortune" maintains an iconic look yet updates it so it doesn't become dated. (Not that TPIR's wheel needs to have 15¢ brought to us by a surf shop.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'224066\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:28 AM\']There are still people out there that like that kinda stuff. I like cheese on my pizza, not on tv. Guess that's why we have a need for GSN and classic shows.[/quote]
So, my question is...do you still watch, or are you going to vote with your remote?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'224071\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 11:42 AM\']Amen, brother. TPIR was charmingly retro when Barker was around because it simply hadn't changed--it didn't try to be retro, it really was around that long. I don't mind that they're making changes, but they shouldn't camp it up. They should look to how "Wheel of Fortune" maintains an iconic look yet updates it so it doesn't become dated.[/quote]

Why shouldn't they camp it up?  Obviously, what had worked for them the previous 35 years went out the door right behind Bob, so maybe it's better to make a clean break and full-on embrace the camp as opposed to trying to grasp whatever vestiges of 'classic' they can mold around Drew.  

As long as the core of the show remains intact (by which I mean One-Bids, pricing games, Big Wheel, and Showcases), the rest of it's just a matter of taste.  

Like the old adage goes, 'Adapt or die'.

(I say this as someone who misses the classic as much as you do, but realizes it's just not feasible to keep that going in 2009.  Thank goodness 2009 also allows you to YouTube/DVR/whatever nostalgia to your heart's content, if that's what you want.)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'224079\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 02:34 PM\']I say this as someone who misses the classic as much as you do, but realizes it's just not feasible to keep that going in 2009.[/quote]
You seriously think it's not feasible, and not just a by-product of having Doofus McGoofus running the place?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224087\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 12:58 PM\']You seriously think it's not feasible, and not just a by-product of having Doofus McGoofus running the place?[/quote]
Would he have said it if he didn't?

/gotta put together that zombie Photoshop
//chaaaaaaaaaange
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224087\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 02:58 PM\']You seriously think it's not feasible, and not just a by-product of having Doofus McGoofus running the place?[/quote]
So now we've resorted to name calling? Does Drew Carey really disgust people this deeply?

Man alive, I'm not saying Drew is worthy of an Emmy or anything, but sheesh, some people around here really need to cut this guy some slack once in a while.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:46:40 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
I thought the final Barker set was fine. It was retro, but somewhat contemporary.

I'm not of the camp that will refuse to watch on GP, but I'm over the retro movement (here and in general). The Carey set and graphics are looking more and more like the infomercials I see for those Dean Martin Show DVDs (less now that they dropped the hypocycloids). It's not enough to turn me away from the show, but I think it looks chintzy. It's almost like they want to be contemporary but keep a wink-and-a-nod to 1974, which IMO, clashes.

/Feud and New Pyramid do (did) a good job balancing the two
//Ohh New Pyramid what could have been...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SushiBarSet

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'224066\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 11:28 AM\']They should look to how "Wheel of Fortune" maintains an iconic look yet updates it so it doesn't become dated.[/quote]

You're joking, right?

Casey Buck

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'224092\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 01:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224087\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 02:58 PM\']You seriously think it's not feasible, and not just a by-product of having Doofus McGoofus running the place?[/quote]
So now we've resorted to name calling? Does Drew Carey really disgust people this deeply?[/quote]

Our of our mods called Drew that very name, not once, not twice, but three times.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:44:10 PM by Casey Buck »

chad1m

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'224097\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 05:12 PM\']Our of our mods called Drew that very name, not once, not twice, but three times.[/quote]That doesn't make it right. I don't like Barker's actions off-screen but I'm not going around calling him Assgrab McBoobtoucher.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'224091\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 03:42 PM\']/gotta put together that zombie Photoshop
//chaaaaaaaaaange[/quote]E for Effort?
[quote name=\'chad1m\']That doesn't make it right. I don't like Barker's actions off-screen but I'm not going around calling him Assgrab McBoobtoucher.[/quote]I don't think Casey was trying to justify it.  He was merely saying there was a precedent; one made by a moderator.  And, if you believe in leading by example...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:31:12 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'224098\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 04:19 PM\']McBoobtoucher.[/quote]
Approves.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.