Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bonus games with no relation to the main game  (Read 14686 times)

aaron sica

Bonus games with no relation to the main game
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2003, 05:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 02:17 PM\'] Funny you should be mentioning TTD, because if you step this way, we'd like to intimately familiarize you with Mr. Patrick Wayne... :) [/quote]
 Oops - my bad, the thing you notice in long threads..

I'll do anything, but please don't drag me off to the TTD'90 room!
:)

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2003, 06:05:13 PM »
Hmm. How about the audience knockout bonus game on The Better Sex?

\"The Better Sex\" was a game built around whether you were bluffing or not.  In the front game, you were trying to outwit the other team of the opposite sex.  In the end game, you and your teammates were trying to outwit 30 audience members of the opposite sex.  In other words, the end game was an extension of the front game, just with more people against your team.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2003, 07:47:31 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 03:05 PM\'] In the front game, you were trying to outwit the other team of the opposite sex.  In the end game, you and your teammates were trying to outwit 30 audience members of the opposite sex. [/quote]
 You know what, upon further review, you're absolutely right. Aaron, save me a seat in there, we have a date with a rappin' dragon...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

combsisthebest

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2003, 08:24:57 PM »
The current run of Beat the Clock on PAX comes to mind.

Winkfan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2003, 01:27:00 AM »
Also, the Las Vegas Gambit endgame later in the run was HR's Big Numbers retitled Gambit Galaxy.
Oh (GONG SHOW OOPS!)! I was gonna mention that myself! But Zach 'beat me to the punch,' as the great Mary Wells sang back in 1962. (the year of my birth, BTW!)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Margo Moser of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:50:00 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2003, 02:59:43 AM »
The first two shows that come to mind are both hosted by Pat Finn. Should I be scared?

Joker's Wild '90: \"As you know, The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions. Well, okay, only in the endgame, really.\"

Shop Til You Drop: Considering the name of the show, it's probably more fair to say that the maingame had nothing to do with the endgame.

What are we calling an \"endgame\" here, exactly? 'Cause I only want to offer the smartass answer of Press Your Luck if it's also accurate.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2003, 03:16:01 AM »
Joker's Wild '90: \"As you know, The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions. Well, okay, only in the endgame, really.\"
Actually, this endgame does tie into the show because you are trying to earns spins of the \"reels.\"

Shop Til You Drop: Considering the name of the show, it's probably more fair to say that the maingame had nothing to do with the endgame.
Wow, that's really an accurate description.

What are we calling an \"endgame\" here, exactly? 'Cause I only want to offer the smartass answer of Press Your Luck if it's also accurate.
Don't be one.  You know exactly what an endgame is, and you know that PYL doesn't have one.

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2003, 08:11:19 AM »
Technically, the spin round on Second Chance and PYL was called a \"bonus round\" as reported in ATGS several years back. At least it was called that by Jan McCormack, the game's creator.

ANother show to add to this list: Battlestars 81-82

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2003, 10:16:59 AM »
I really didn't mind too much that the bonus games on \"Split Second\" and \"Big Showdown\" didn't require brainpower because it was a reward for your hard work up to that point.  Sorta like first doing your chores and then getting to watch TV or dessert only after cleaning your plate.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2003, 11:45:27 AM »
If unsold pilots count, $50,000 A Minute had an endgame that really had nothing to do with the front game except in very loose senses.

Nope...and it later became the endgame to Double Talk, where it also had nothing to do w/the maingame.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2003, 02:04:19 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 05:11 AM\'] Technically, the spin round on Second Chance and PYL was called a "bonus round" as reported in ATGS several years back. At least it was called that by Jan McCormack, the game's creator. [/quote]
 Well, in that case, Jan McCormack was wrong, too. I don't care WHO claims it is, there's a pretty well-established definition of what constitutes an endgame or bonus round, and that ain't it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2003, 02:08:36 PM »
Actually, [TJW90's] endgame does tie into the show because you are trying to earns spins of the \"reels.\"

I personally wasn't counting the common use of a set piece, especially since it has nothing in common with its use in the main game besides \"pull the lever\". At least the previous TJW endgame had \"reach or surpass X dollars\" as a goal in common with the maingame.

You know exactly what an endgame is, and you know that PYL doesn't have one.

I was remembering the discussion Zach mentioned. There was also the fact that some people in this thread are talking about endgames, while others are talking about bonus rounds. IMHO, you only get to call something a bonus round when you've won some sort of actual prize in the preceding round(s), what with the use of the word \"bonus\" and all.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2003, 03:40:18 PM »
I personally wasn't counting the common use of a set piece, especially since it has nothing in common with its use in the main game besides \"pull the lever\". At least the previous TJW endgame had \"reach or surpass X dollars\" as a goal in common with the maingame.
My biggest complaint with the second Devil round was the lack of a Joker, or at least something to tie in with the title. It's like, hello, our show is The Joker's Wild! Did someone forget that when they created this bonus game??? C'mon! Ok, there's my rant for the day. Carry on friends.

David

Starkman

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2003, 06:21:57 PM »
the most obvious of course is WBMG from the later years of $ale which also doomed the show. with Split Second and Big Showdown being 2nd and 3rd.

I would dare to venture that indeed Nick Arcade's endame was nothing at ALL like the front game, the frontgame was precptual puzzles (like get the picture) and quizzer questions mixed with playing console games. the endgame was a physcal stunt quest which often benefited a different type of contestant, it also was way before its time, often contestants couldnt tell where they were on the bluescreen or the bluescreen graphics were out of sync (a fatal error to the contestants in most all cases) it was a good idea but W A Y before it's time.

To that end Get the Picture's endgame was also woefully unrelated, the maingame and power surges (asides from the shuffleboard and ring toss powe surges which were alot like funny money's endgame, do a task to earn pieces off a picture to guess) were perceptual puzzles, the endgame was a simple game of memory recall, I always thought that they should have gone with no power surges in round 2 (which had no meaning to the game unlike the surges in round 1 which gave an actual piece of the puzzle) and instead played a choice of power surge like puzzles as the bonus round.

while not an endgame i must say the 2 player round in Where in the World Carmen Sandiego had nothing to do with anything, it was just a find and line up game that wasnt even intresting and had no real application of geographic knowledge, the ordering the list game in the time version was WAY better IMHO however the endgame in the world version was excellent if they didnt tinker with the clear score.

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2003, 06:58:04 PM »
Well, I'll add one more to the list: The Magnificent Marble Machine!

I only got to see a few episodes of it on Cincinnati's WXIX-TV during the summer of 1975, but emcee Art James would tell the game's players that \"you have to earn your marbles\" before they would play the show's front-game -- which, in fact, had nothing at all to do with pinball!

Instead, the players had to guess words from crossword puzzle-type clues (similar to those that would be later used on NBC's Scrabble, and the first team to correctly guess five words from their corresponding clues got to play the show's giant pinball machine for all the prizes.  (And, on the few episodes of that show I got to see, they only got two balls per game unless they managed to top the game's preset \"Goal Score\" that earned them the third \"Golden Money Ball!\"

Needless to say, I considered the show's end game a lot better than its main game -- although in retrospect, the show's giant pinball machine was horribly engineered, even incorporating a \"gobble hole\" that real-life pinball machines hadn't had for some 12 years up to that time.

Michael Brandenburg
   (Now if I had the time, maybe I could build a better MMM from that \"Visual Pinball\" program I turned up last year...)