Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bonus games with no relation to the main game  (Read 14691 times)

HYHYBT

Bonus games with no relation to the main game
« on: June 20, 2003, 06:07:20 AM »
The thread on game shows where the bonus round is an almost exact continuation of the main game got me wondering about any shows where the bonus had as little as possible to do with the rest of the show.

The most extreme example I can think of right now would be the 1986 Hollywood Squares, where you drew a key from a bowl and tried it in a car. Nothing to do with celebrities, tic-tac-toe, questions, or even humor. But there ought to be plenty of room between that and, say, High Rollers, Family Feud, and Classic Concentration for an interesting discussion:)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

TonicBH

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 06:12:21 AM »
Both versions of Split Second come to mind. the 70s version used the HS86 endgame, while the 1986 version used a LMAD element.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 08:16:01 AM »
Blackout's endgame had nothing to do with the maingame, nor did CHain Reaction '80 or the Get Rich Quick pilot. Also, the Las Vegas Gambit endgame later in the run was HR's Big Numbers retitled Gambit Galaxy.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 08:55:41 AM »
Dare I say \"The Big Showdown\"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 09:34:54 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 05:07 AM\'] The thread on game shows where the bonus round is an almost exact continuation of the main game got me wondering about any shows where the bonus had as little as possible to do with the rest of the show.

[/quote]
 -The last end game on $ale of the Century
-Wink's TTD (Face the Dragon), just some mindless time-filler bonus round
-Hot Potato
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 09:47:29 AM »
The WInners' board Sale format didn't have much to do with the maingame either. The 2001-02 season Squares bonus round(debuted in Nov 2001) didn't have a whole lot to do with the maingame. The Turnabout CHild's Play bonus was the inverse of the maingame, and to a smaller degree so was Hot Streak's endgame.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 10:09:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 12:55 PM\'] Dare I say "The Big Showdown"? [/quote]
 Well, you certainly beat me to it, that was the first one I came up with.  I remember watching it in my youth and trying to figure out why such an interesting serious quiz game had a bonus round that was entirely chance.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 10:33:50 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 08:34 AM\'] -Hot Potato [/quote]
 Au contraire.  I do see a little resemblance: answer questions; one wrong answer and you're done.

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 11:30:41 AM »
The thread on game shows where the bonus round is an almost exact continuation of the main game got me wondering about any shows where the bonus had as little as possible to do with the rest of the show.

How about the HS bonus round used from Nov. 01 until the beginning of the current season?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

beatlefreak84

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 12:17:54 PM »
Well, you can also think of \"Nick Arcade.\"  Yes, I do realize that the bonus round still dealt with video games, but while the main game involved playing console games and answering questions, the bonus round was, in a sense, an obstacle course a la \"Double Dare.\"  It's definitely very different, and I have seen teams do so well in the front game and then absolutely bomb the bonus game because of its emphasis on physical reactions.

Also, I think \"Remote Control's\" first bonus round might fit here; all the rest of the game has to do with TV; why does the bonus round have to do with figuring out music videos?

Comment at will!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 12:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 08:30 AM\'] How about the HS bonus round used from Nov. 01 until the beginning of the current season?
 [/quote]
 I'd agree when it was just \"pick a square, and win a prize\", but then that's not really a bonus round. At least if Tom asks a question and the player agrees or disagrees with the celebrity response, there is SOME tie-in, however lame.

Wow, you guys have done a good job reeling off the better candidates, though...I'd suggest Super Pay Cards' memorization of card positions didn't have much to do with the front game, but at least the cards are there.

Hmm. How about the audience knockout bonus game on The Better Sex?

Or the original bonus mountain on Remote Control, pre-Wheel-Of-Jeopardy? Sure, fit in well with the network it aired on, but how often did they identify videos in the front game?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 12:50:20 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 05:07 AM\'] The thread on game shows where the bonus round is an almost exact continuation of the main game got me wondering about any shows where the bonus had as little as possible to do with the rest of the show.

The most extreme example I can think of right now would be the 1986 Hollywood Squares, where you drew a key from a bowl and tried it in a car. Nothing to do with celebrities, tic-tac-toe, questions, or even humor. But there ought to be plenty of room between that and, say, High Rollers, Family Feud, and Classic Concentration for an interesting discussion:) [/quote]
 The syndie run of \"Tic Tac Dough\" is another one I can think of where the bonus round has nothing to do with the main game. Object of the main game is to get tic-tac-toe and answer questions; object of the bonus round is to get to $1,000 or find TIC and TAC - nothing to do with getting three in a row vertically, horizontally, or diagonally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 03:17:42 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 09:50 AM\'] The syndie run of "Tic Tac Dough" is another one I can think of where the bonus round has nothing to do with the main game. [/quote]
 And that's all very good, but if you see above, Brandon thought of it first. :)

Funny you should be mentioning TTD, because if you step this way, we'd like to intimately familiarize you with Mr. Patrick Wayne... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 03:42:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 11:22 AM\']Or the original bonus mountain on Remote Control, pre-Wheel-Of-Jeopardy? Sure, fit in well with the network it aired on, but how often did they identify videos in the front game?[/quote]
Well, on occasion \"MTV\" was used as one of the nine channels (quelle coincidence, no?) and contestants played some sort of video identification round (usually \"name the artist\").

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 04:12:39 PM »
If unsold pilots count, $50,000 A Minute had an endgame that really had nothing to do with the front game except in very loose senses.

Or, dare I say, Super Match from MG/HS had nothing to do with half of the show. :)