Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bonus games with no relation to the main game  (Read 14782 times)

Neumms

Bonus games with no relation to the main game
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2003, 02:55:48 PM »
I'd brought up \"Eye Guess\" back at the old place and thought of this same issue. There, the front game is about memorization, then the bonus game is a random calling-out-numbers thing, the only connection being the use of the same board.

One might say that the Showcase Showdown is the one part of TPIR that has nothing to do with prices, thus lacking the critical element of everything else on the show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2003, 06:18:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 11:55 AM\'] One might say that the Showcase Showdown is the one part of TPIR that has nothing to do with prices, thus lacking the critical element of everything else on the show. [/quote]
 Maybe not prices, per se, but it still fits in as well as anything, since the values on the wheel are in cents and the concept is still to reach a set amount without going over.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2003, 07:40:10 PM »
Play the Percentage's solo player bonus round format was different from the main game. The main game was a Q&A format, but the bonus round had the player pick the five answers out of six that the polled people responded to in a survey question.

BtB85(Rayburn's) main game was Q&A/Puzzle format, but the end game was about doing their idea of \"Stunts\" to earn bank cards and prizes. Btb76 nighttime's end game was more like the TTD syndie 78-86 bonus round(without the tic and tac and with Bust in lieu of a Dragon) than it was the Btb76 main game.

Just Men's uninspired bonus game was nothing to do with the maingame either(pick a key from the keys earned in the maingame and hope it starts the car)

Pitfall's bonus game involved straight Q&A rather than picking the best answer to a survey question as polled by the audience.

Wordplay's maingame had people picking the definition of a word, while the bonus game had people finding the best word that fits two definitions.

Fandango had Q&A for the maingame, but predicting(from two choices given) how a C&W artist answered a certain question

Blank Check's bonus game(at least on the pilot episode) had contestants hoping not to pick the number another contestant chose, while the bonus round had the player hoping not to pick the prize the audience players selected.

Jackpot84(pilot) had a bonus game where the players had to answer Shoot for the Stars/Double Talk-like maingame puzzles rather than solving riddles.

Double Talk's end game was that of the $50K a Minute ABC pilot from 1985.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2003, 10:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 04:40 PM\'] Just Men's uninspired bonus game was nothing to do with the maingame either(pick a key from the keys earned in the maingame and hope it starts the car)
 [/quote]
 Except, unlike the Davidson version of Squares, the players were vying to win those keys in the front game, so there was at least that tenuous connection. Also, Betty White's intro usually revolved around the mixing of the correct key in with the bad ones, so really, the keys were a recurring theme throughout the show. On Squares you didn't even SEE the keys until the end.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2003, 10:44:58 PM »
Well, I'll add one more to the list: The Magnificent Marble Machine!

I only got to see a few episodes of it on Cincinnati's WXIX-TV during the summer of 1975, but emcee Art James would tell the game's players that \"you have to earn your marbles\" before they would play the show's front-game -- which, in fact, had nothing at all to do with pinball!

Instead, the players had to guess words from crossword puzzle-type clues (similar to those that would be later used on NBC's Scrabble, and the first team to correctly guess five words from their corresponding clues got to play the show's giant pinball machine for all the prizes.  (And, on the few episodes of that show I got to see, they only got two balls per game unless they managed to top the game's preset \"Goal Score\" that earned them the third \"Golden Money Ball!\"

Actually, there were a number of versions of the end game on TMMM, all of which involved playing the machine.  (These are the ones I can think of; it's possible that I may have missed one or two.)  In all of them, you only got two balls (not including the money ball, if any); also, after 60 seconds on each ball, the flippers stopped working.
First, the goal started at 15,000, and went down 1000 each time it was not hit.  Later, the start value was 13,000.  Next came the \"Money Ball Marathon\", where the high scorer from every seven games played the Money Ball (the one time I saw the money ball played in this version, there was a 3-way tie, so all three played a Money Ball, with the high score getting the money).
After that, the money ball and the points were removed; instead, the player won a larger prize (either a car or an around-the-world trip) for lighting all seven bumpers.  Finally, the large prize was removed as well, and the object was just to win the prizes associated with each bumper.

As for end games having little or nothing to do with their main games, how about the end game to the NBC version of Chain Reaction, which ended up being the main game on GO! ?

-- Don  (the poster formerly known as \"Helgaforce\")

tommycharles

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2003, 12:55:04 PM »
[quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 07:24 PM\'] The current run of Beat the Clock on PAX comes to mind. [/quote]
 I dissagree - there's a time limit, a stunt to complete, the only difference is that there is no point that they will stop the clock for reaching your goal prematurely.

That would actually improve the show - stop the clock and pay the contestants if they reach a certain # of tokens (Crystal Mazish, I know, but they would need some kind of scale to stop the clock when they reach the target).

HYHYBT

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2003, 03:28:24 AM »
Play the Percentage's solo player bonus round format was different from the main game. The main game was a Q&A format, but the bonus round had the player pick the five answers out of six that the polled people responded to in a survey question.

Yes, but both games did revolve around percentages, as the title promised. The players chose questions valued by the percent who got them wrong.

Wordplay's maingame had people picking the definition of a word, while the bonus game had people finding the best word that fits two definitions.

But in both cases, Wordplay IS a game of definitions. This is turning the game around almost the same way Pyramid does for the Winner's Circle.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 03:31:19 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

cyberjoek

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2003, 07:59:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 11:55 AM\']That would actually improve the show - stop the clock and pay the contestants if they reach a certain # of tokens (Crystal Mazish, I know, but they would need some kind of scale to stop the clock when they reach the target).[/quote]
Perhaps insted of that bag a couple of hole-like devices in the walls that would drop them into a box with a scale and a nice big eggcrate display (to go with the retro clock) showing how much they've earned so far (perhaps the coins way differently so some are worth more and some are worth less?)
Just a thought...
-Joe Kavanagh