Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?  (Read 29935 times)

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'225351\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 09:36 AM\']How has Barker's book being doing? I'm wondering if he really did this because sales of his book haven't been what he expected.[/quote]
What sales?

JMFabiano

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
Wonder if Bob and Triple H were sharing tips on backstage politics off-camera...

[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'222125\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 06:52 PM\'][quote name=\'LetsGoMets2003\' post=\'222115\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 05:27 PM\']Betty White will not be happy. Per a new interview with Stephanie McMahon

http://bit.ly/SpVzX

(How many divas will Bob try to seduce? Bring on the bad puns, too.)[/quote]

Here's another bit of information pertaining to Price...

Tom Kennedy left the nighttime version.
[/quote]

...because he failed the Wellness Program.

Oops, wrong Kennedy...

...Kennedy.

[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'225365\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 02:37 PM\']One of my blog's readers thought that "Truth or Consequences" would've worked better as the night's gimmick. Honestly, the only way that could've happened is if the episode had eminated from New Mexico.[/quote]

...and if Mick Foley was still in the company.  

Also, if Umaga was still there, he should have done a segment with Barker...just for the Samoan connection ;-)

Drew should have invaded one of his segments (hey, he could plug the upcoming new season too...and after all, he DID survive minutes in the 2001 Royal Rumble!)  As I don't watch Raw (or anything WWE, really...give me old school WWF and etc. anyday.  I did peek at the Barker segments though...), did anyone bring anything referencing Drew or something?  

/I would have decided on BARKER FEARS DENNIS/TOM/HOLLY/DIAN/BETTY, myself.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:27:27 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'225322\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 01:24 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'225310\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:02 PM\'][quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'225308\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 08:55 PM\']Well, that wasn't the train wreck I thought it could have been.

That says a lot, considering that it is WWE.  I was entertained; it could have been much worse.[/quote]
The low point of the show was that idiotic karate chop segment with Chavo.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.  Actually, that statement applies to the last several weeks of Chavo's segments on Raw and probably the next couple of weeks to come.

Seriously, who's corn flakes did Chavo wee-wee in to get buried like he is?  At least Santino is hilarious to watch.
[/quote]

Yeah really.  I am wondering if it was A) Wellness related?  Or B) Taking Vickie quitting out on him?  Or that C) They're resentful cause he's still alive so they can't exploit him too?  Or D) Did they find out he had his way with a young Stephanie McMahon too, oooooooh yeah?  

Seriously, does anyone know the answer????

I'd be calling Jeff and Dixie if I were him...oops, we remember what happened before with Chavo + Russo booking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DicWsPrRqK8

(Sadly, I couldn't find footage of him as the Amway Salesman...)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:28:59 PM by JMFabiano »

JMFabiano

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'225324\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 02:06 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'225323\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 01:46 AM\']And correctly so, thank you. Reminds me of Orlando Jordan's jobfest against Chris Benoit.[/quote]

Orlando Jordan actually existed?  I thought he was a figment of my imagination.  BTW, I fixed the reference you made to that  other non-existant wrestler.
[/quote]

*sigh*

Not to say you're protesting his non-existance, but the debate is still tiresome.  This (excellent) review of the WCW doc includes a reality check or two on that topic, pretty much, and one I feel more people need to accept:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2009/09/0...cw-the-feature/

chad1m

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »
Trying to steer this topic more sanely, I posted the video of all segments Barker appeared in in the A/V section, about 26 minutes worth.

pacdude

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »
As much as I don't like wrestling, and as much as I don't like WWE, I will say as much:

That's one fancy set they had.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'225395\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 05:19 PM\']That's one fancy set they had.[/quote]
Yeah, they dropped a few bucks when they decided they were gonna shoot all of their shows in HD going forward.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gaubster2

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
Did anybody else think Howard Finkel sounded like Gene Wood?

Johnissoevil

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'225399\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 10:14 PM\']Did anybody else think Howard Finkel sounded like Gene Wood?[/quote]

I will agree, his style matched Gene's.  But I don't think the voices could ever match even if Howard tried.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Walrus5241

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225291\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225289\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:22 PM\']--Will this public appearance enhance or tarnish Bob's legacy?[/quote]
I'd seriously entertain that question if we were talking about Nelson Mandela or something.

He's a game show host.  Do you really think appearing on a wrestling program is a significant step down?
[/quote]

Well, yes, a lot of the snobby "intellectual" media critics (such as Morris Holbrook) look down on game shows and game show hosts. But a lot of the entertainment industry--and of course the public--have come to respect game shows over the years. Barker isn't some D-lister like George Gray or something; he's a television legend. He's in the Television Hall of Fame and has an Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award.

I think game shows can't be truly assessed in terms of a TV food chain; some are extremely successful and are among the most legendary television programs of all time (The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc) and others are so low that they don't even make a dent (Trivial Pursuit).  Same can be said for any type of TV show; everyone knows and loves Cheers or The Golden Girls, but not so much Kath & Kim or The Michael Richards Show. As a result, I always bristle when I hear or read people suggesting that they're bottom-feeders; some are, but others are some of the greatest things ever put on the tube.

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'225405\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 10:38 PM\']I think game shows can't be truly assessed in terms of a TV food chain; some are extremely successful and are among the most legendary television programs of all time (The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc) and others are so low that they don't even make a dent (Trivial Pursuit).  Same can be said for any type of TV show;[/quote]
Sorry to cut it off right there, but it makes my entire point.

Same can be said for any type of TV show...even wrestling.

Certainly if Bob even considered for a moment his "legacy," he chose the preeminent wrestling company with which to align himself.  The top of the TV wrestling food chain.  The most famous, most recognizable brand in the industry, though I'm sure a lot of old folks still call it the WWF.  

Now if Bob were to suddenly start making appearances on cheap local midwestern circuits whose matches are televised on public access stations, then yeah, maybe we could have a discussion about tarnishing his image.  But the question as I understood it was whether a big-time game show host was slumming by appearing on a big-time wrestling program.  All things being that equal, I think not.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2009, 11:07:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'225393\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 08:03 PM\']Trying to steer this topic more sanely, I posted the video of all segments Barker appeared in in the A/V section, about 26 minutes worth.[/quote]

...and to bring it back to insanity...I think Barry Darsow should have made an appearance to play Hole in One...or Two ;-)

Walrus5241

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225406\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 10:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'225405\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 10:38 PM\']I think game shows can't be truly assessed in terms of a TV food chain; some are extremely successful and are among the most legendary television programs of all time (The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc) and others are so low that they don't even make a dent (Trivial Pursuit).  Same can be said for any type of TV show;[/quote]
Sorry to cut it off right there, but it makes my entire point.

Same can be said for any type of TV show...even wrestling.

Certainly if Bob even considered for a moment his "legacy," he chose the preeminent wrestling company with which to align himself.  The top of the TV wrestling food chain.  The most famous, most recognizable brand in the industry, though I'm sure a lot of old folks still call it the WWF.  

Now if Bob were to suddenly start making appearances on cheap local midwestern circuits whose matches are televised on public access stations, then yeah, maybe we could have a discussion about tarnishing his image.  But the question as I understood it was whether a big-time game show host was slumming by appearing on a big-time wrestling program.  All things being that equal, I think not.
[/quote]

Touche, Mr. Ottinger. Well-put. I suppose I was just bristling at the suggestion that game shows in general/Bob Barker are/is way down on the TV food chain, and I took it from there. I suppose that was silly of me, in hindsight. What you just wrote now is something I totally agree with and think is most queloquently stated.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:26:24 PM by Walrus5241 »

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2009, 12:02:02 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'225140\' date=\'Sep 6 2009, 01:21 PM\']pentellit (and for anyone else), I think I've got the perfect introduction to show you what modern pro wrestling is all about: ...These two are the longest-serving members of WWE's roster, and you can see why they've captivated so many people's imaginations and retained their spot for so many years. I hope you'll watch and enjoy.[/quote]
Okay chad1m, et al, in a sincere desire to understand the popularity of tv wrestling, I turned on the bout between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels that chad1m recommended.

I wish I could report that I loved it, but in reality, after the Undertaker punched Shawn Michaels in the face about 5 times, I dove for the couch pillow. I get that this is a testament to these performers talent; to make me believe and cringe, and hide my eyes behind a pillow.  I get that, so much that I felt like the "IT'S REAL TO ME!" YouTube guy.   So when he jumped up, and came CRASHING down on the guy, …… that was it for me.  I was done with television wrestling.  

So my advice to you WWE fans, if you find someone who loves WWE, marry them!  Cherish them.  Otherwise you’ll have to settle for someone like me who won’t watch WWE, but will make you and your friends yummy snacks, courtesy of the TV Food Network, while you all watch huge beefy guys brutalize each other on WWE.

OK?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:30:38 AM by pentellit »

gaubster2

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2009, 01:41:53 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225509\' date=\'Sep 9 2009, 09:02 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'225140\' date=\'Sep 6 2009, 01:21 PM\']pentellit (and for anyone else), I think I've got the perfect introduction to show you what modern pro wrestling is all about: ...These two are the longest-serving members of WWE's roster, and you can see why they've captivated so many people's imaginations and retained their spot for so many years. I hope you'll watch and enjoy.[/quote]
Okay chad1m, et al, in a sincere desire to understand the popularity of tv wrestling, I turned on the bout between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels that chad1m recommended.

I wish I could report that I loved it, but in reality, after the Undertaker punched Shawn Michaels in the face about 5 times, I dove for the couch pillow. I get that this is a testament to these performers talent; to make me believe and cringe, and hide my eyes behind a pillow.  I get that, so much that I felt like the "IT'S REAL TO ME!" YouTube guy.   So when he jumped up, and came CRASHING down on the guy, …… that was it for me.  I was done with television wrestling.  

So my advice to you WWE fans, if you find someone who loves WWE, marry them!  Cherish them.  Otherwise you’ll have to settle for someone like me who won’t watch WWE, but will make you and your friends yummy snacks, courtesy of the TV Food Network, while you all watch huge beefy guys brutalize each other on WWE.

OK?
[/quote]
Well at least you gave it an honest try.  Most people would simply mock it and move on.

/Good thing you didn't sample a "cage match" or ECW in it's prime