Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?  (Read 29932 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222370\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 11:17 AM\']Lee Marshall worked with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan on a Women of Wrestling pay-per-view event.  When Heenan first worked for the WWF, it was as the manager for Jesse Ventura.  Jesse Ventura played Captain Freedom in The Running Man, a film which featured Richard Dawson as the evil game show host Killian.  On a special week of Family Feud episodes, Richard Dawson welcomed ten famous game show hosts, among them Bill Cullen.

Ta da.[/quote]
Great.  Matt's showing off his omnipotence again!

/All I got is Lee Marshall, Bill Cullen, and Bernie Solis are three people who have never been in my kitchen.

comicus

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222370\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 11:17 AM\']Lee Marshall worked with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan on a Women of Wrestling pay-per-view event.  When Heenan first worked for the WWF, it was as the manager for Jesse Ventura.  Jesse Ventura played Captain Freedom in The Running Man, a film which featured Richard Dawson as the evil game show host Killian.  On a special week of Family Feud episodes, Richard Dawson welcomed ten famous game show hosts, among them Bill Cullen.

Ta da.[/quote]

Ehh... partial credit.  Don't recall Heenan ever working on any ladies' wrestling PPVs.  The duo did announce together in WCW for a time, though, so you can make the connection that way.

chad1m

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'222377\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 08:09 PM\']Ehh... partial credit.  Don't recall Heenan ever working on any ladies' wrestling PPVs.[/quote]Yeah. Don't ever doubt the Ottinger.

comicus

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'222378\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'222377\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 08:09 PM\']Ehh... partial credit.  Don't recall Heenan ever working on any ladies' wrestling PPVs.[/quote]Yeah. Don't ever doubt the Ottinger.
[/quote]
I stand corrected.

Man, the Brain must have been Ed McMahon broke to take that gig...

weaklink75

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 01:36:51 AM »
I recently had to explain to a co-worker who Thurl Ravenscroft was. Mr. Ravenscroft used to appear on Reverend Schooooooooooooooooler's TV program from the Crystal Cathedral which for many years ran on the station said co-worker currently works for.

Mr. Ravenscroft also sang with the Johnny Mann singers. The group sang an a capella tone poem for San Francisco radio station KSFO when it was owned by Gene Autry's Golden West Broadcasting (together with KTLA). Mr. Lemon, you are too young to remember the tone poem.

To the best of my knowledge, Bill Cullen never met Gene Autry, Reverend Schooooooooooooooler, Johnny Mann or my co-worker.

Are we all clear on this?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:44:23 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223192\' date=\'Aug 16 2009, 10:36 PM\']The group sang an a capella tone poem for San Francisco radio station KSFO when it was owned by Gene Autry's Golden West Broadcasting (together with KTLA). Mr. Lemon, you are too young to remember the tone poem.[/quote]
Also KSFO was well outside of my listening range in Monterey. The furthest I could pull in FM stations from was San Jose.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

fishbulb

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223192\' date=\'Aug 16 2009, 10:36 PM\']I recently had to explain to a co-worker who Thurl Ravenscroft was. Mr. Ravenscroft used to appear on Reverend Schooooooooooooooooler's TV program from the Crystal Cathedral which for many years ran on the station said co-worker currently works for.

Mr. Ravenscroft also sang with the Johnny Mann singers. The group sang an a capella tone poem for San Francisco radio station KSFO when it was owned by Gene Autry's Golden West Broadcasting (together with KTLA). Mr. Lemon, you are too young to remember the tone poem.

To the best of my knowledge, Bill Cullen never met Gene Autry, Reverend Schooooooooooooooler, Johnny Mann or my co-worker.

Are we all clear on this?[/quote]

I wouldn't touch this discussion with a... thirty-nine and a half foot pole.

trainman

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223194\' date=\'Aug 16 2009, 11:23 PM\']Also KSFO was well outside of my listening range in Monterey. The furthest I could pull in FM stations from was San Jose.[/quote]

That's KSFO 560, which should be audible in Monterey, especially at night.  Sister station to Gene Autry's KMPC in Los Angeles, which is now KSPN, and still has a nice old red brick transmitter building on Burbank Boulevard in the Valley, which had the "KMPC" letters removed at some point but retains a matching "50000 WATT STATION" slogan.  Alas, they're building a bigger, uglier building right next to it.

Surely only two words are necessary to explain the existence of Mr. Ravenscroft to a young'un: "they're great."  If that doesn't satisfy, you can use six more: "you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch."
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'223250\' date=\'Aug 17 2009, 06:34 PM\']That's KSFO 560, which should be audible in Monterey, especially at night.[/quote]
Yes, that's true. I think my dad might have listened to it every so often. My AM listening was pretty much confined to KGO and KNBR.

chad1m

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »
This morning on 105.7 FM (The X) in the central Pennsylvania region, Barker did an interview where he confirmed that he will be hosting the September 7 episode of RAW, which will emanate from Chicago, IL.

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' date=\'Yesterday 9:31AM\']This morning on 105.7 FM (The X) in the central Pennsylvania region, Barker did an interview where he confirmed that he will be hosting the September 7 episode of RAW, which will emanate from Chicago, IL.[/quote]
Bobbo (who's frustrated monumental ego IMO obviously will not let him retire gracefully) is going to do this latest circling-the-drain attempt to stay in the public eye now, which is good because in a year or two today's generation of new game show fans will be saying;

TPIR
All new,
All Drew.
Bob who?

[quote name=\'chad1m\']Then again, Barker has/had that frat boy attraction going for him..[/quote]
I know the Spin Doctors repeatedly told us that the frat boy demographic was due to "Bob's cult-like following among college aged males", but really now, were those hormone driven frat boys tuning in to watch an old gray haired man, or the only hottie playmates wearing bathing suits on television at ten in the morning?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:50:28 PM by pentellit »

tvrandywest

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'223250\' date=\'Aug 17 2009, 06:34 PM\']That's KSFO 560, which should be audible in Monterey, especially at night.  Sister station to Gene Autry's KMPC in Los Angeles, which is now KSPN, and still has a nice old red brick transmitter building on Burbank Boulevard in the Valley, which had the "KMPC" letters removed at some point but retains a matching "50000 WATT STATION" slogan.  Alas, they're building a bigger, uglier building right next to it....[/quote]
And sadly, that brick KMPC transmitter building was just demolished  ;-(

After almost 70 years, it had "outlived its usefullness (I've felt like that), and has been replaced with a far less stylish little tan building on the same site. But we will always have its memory -  it was the site of Wolfman Jack’s radio studio in the film "American Graffiti" and more recently the interior of that old broadcasting treasure trove was used in an episode of Fox TV’s "24".  

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'223684\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'222036\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 03:59 AM\']Then again, Barker has/had that frat boy attraction going for him..[/quote][/quote]
Please make sure you're attributing quotes to the right people going forward. I didn't say this.

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223689\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'223684\' date=\'Aug 21 2009, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'222036\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 03:59 AM\']Then again, Barker has/had that frat boy attraction going for him..[/quote][/quote]
Please make sure you're attributing quotes to the right people going forward. I didn't say this.
[/quote]
I'm sorry.  Hope I have it correctly now.