Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?  (Read 30217 times)

jalman

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2009, 01:51:35 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224795\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 01:11 AM\']Or see Mario Batalli get Flay in a Koji Clutch?  (See, I am learning!)[/quote]
Hehe, submission holds like the Koji Clutch at their best build the drama of the match.  Although you're more likely will see stuff like bear hugs, full nelsons, etc.

The second I link posted (Wrestling with Shadows, which some fans still oddly insist was faked) surrounds this event.  The Montreal Screwjob stands as one of the realities of (modern) pro wrestling: the rampaging egos.  Also, there was the Monday Night Wars between rival companies WCW and WWF (now WWE).

[quote name=\'Wikipedia\']The Montreal Screwjob was the real life double-crossing of defending WWF Champion Bret Hart by Vince McMahon, the owner of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), during the main event match of the professional wrestling pay-per-view event Survivor Series held on November 9, 1997...

[...]

The reason for this screwjob was rooted in Hart's decision to leave McMahon's company for its chief competitor, World Championship Wrestling (WCW), after McMahon told Hart that financial problems would not allow him to keep Hart on under his recently signed 20 year contract.[/quote]

/I don't think Gorgeous George gets enough credit for his influence upon pro wrestling, or even pop culture.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:52:49 AM by jalman »

gaubster2

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2009, 01:43:59 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224768\' date=\'Sep 2 2009, 07:38 PM\'][quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'224750\' date=\'Sep 2 2009, 04:40 PM\']/Cue Pentellit response in 3...2...1...[/quote]
gaubster2, I would love to give a response, but I am 100% totally clueless about wrestling shows.  I have never seen one.  I read these posts and try to follow the thread, but it's like you're all speaking a foreign language.  I wish I understood because I'm sure there are some juicy quips and great references going about, but I am totally clueless.  The only tv wrestling I've ever seen is promos for it during commercials.  (Sorry guys, I'm a TV Food Network kinda gal.)

But here's a question for you; is this tv wrestling real?  What I've seen of it during the ten seconds it takes me to find the remote and change the channel, I gotta say it is horribly violent.  I can't imagine that a human being, albiet a buff 250 pound side o' beef (with fabulous hair extensions BTW!) could survive the kinds of impacts that I see.  Is it real?  

And if it's not real, if it's all staged, then what's the attraction?  I'm not being facetious here, I would genuinely like to understand the appeal.  And also to know if it's real or not.
[/quote]

Pentellit, I thought you might have a quip about the fact that Bob Barker @ 83 years old (or so) is the "guest host" (similar to SNL) of a scripted, "sports entertainment" event in which the only thing of note for him to promote would be his book.  (Which I don't think the WWE target demographic is much interested in.)  The Ray Combs reference about Barker's attitude towards the ladies is something I thought you might comment on.

The Barker appearance may make for fascinating tv.

/note I didn't say "good" tv

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2009, 02:54:35 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'224887\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 10:43 PM\']Pentellit, I thought you might have a quip about the fact that Bob Barker @ 83 years old (or so) is the "guest host" (similar to SNL) of a scripted, "sports entertainment" event in which the only thing of note for him to promote would be his book.  (Which I don't think the WWE target demographic is much interested in.)  The Ray Combs reference about Barker's attitude towards the ladies is something I thought you might comment on.The Barker appearance may make for fascinating tv./note I didn't say "good" tv[/quote]
Well since I won't be watching, nor I suspect many people who actually worked with the creepy old bastard, you guys watch it.  Most likely I'm going to be home watching something really interesting, like re-runs of Lifetime Movie Network's sexiest secret movies.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »
Pentellit, wrestling is one of those things you must watch just once in your life in order to have a well-rounded life experience. I can understand your not wanting to watch while the old buzzard Barker is on, but do watch it after he's gone. It's like going to the ballet or a Broadway play or an art museum or the Demolition Derby. I have done all of those things and have watched wrestling on TV, and my life is just that much richer for having done them.

Now you can watch with the perspective of knowing it's all fake.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:50:37 AM by chris319 »

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2009, 11:54:39 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'224893\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 12:48 AM\']Pentellit, wrestling is one of those things you must watch just once in your life in order to have a well-rounded life experience.[/quote]
Ok, I can do that.  But do they have any shows upcoming that aren't so violent?  I get now that it's staged, but still....it's so horrible to watch a person do (or fake doing) such painful and brutal things to another (it makes me cover my eyes with a couch pillow.  Ouch!)

Signed, Pentellit (aka Big Wussy Baby )

Loogaroo

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »
While not a fan of pro wrestling, I have enough friends who are big fans of it to appreciate what's going on and why it needs to be scripted. (Mainly because if it wasn't, the average wrestler's career would last maybe, maybe, five matches, before spending the rest of their productive lives in traction.)

The key thing to understand is that pro wrestling isn't all about piledrivers and body slams. Storytelling also plays a major element, with stand-up segments and skits helping to set up the conflicts that are to take place in the future. Two random wrestlers don't just climb into a ring and beat each other's brains out; there's a backstory and profile for each character, and the match you're seeing has probably been percolating for weeks.

As for the whole "non-violent" angle, you're kinda asking for non-dairy ice cream there. Such a thing might exist, but you probably wouldn't want it anyway. Steer clear of gimmick matches like the ladder or table matches, and avoid non-disqualification bouts, since that's where the folding chairs and other paraphenalia come into play. Other than that, it's really a matter of the style that the two wrestlers employ, and like I said I'm not well-versed enough in that to really make any recommendations. If anything, just remember: every move you see, no matter how brutal, was carefully planned ahead of time. Like I said, it has to be, otherwise everyone would break their neck after a week.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225006\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'224893\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 12:48 AM\']Pentellit, wrestling is one of those things you must watch just once in your life in order to have a well-rounded life experience.[/quote]
Ok, I can do that.  But do they have any shows upcoming that aren't so violent?  I get now that it's staged, but still....it's so horrible to watch a person do (or fake doing) such painful and brutal things to another (it makes me cover my eyes with a couch pillow.  Ouch!)

Signed, Pentellit (aka Big Wussy Baby)[/quote]
Knowing it's fake, just watch as much as you can stand. Unless it's Bob Barker being beaten senseless, then watch the whole thing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:39:26 AM by chris319 »

gaubster2

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2009, 12:49:40 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225022\' date=\'Sep 5 2009, 07:36 AM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225006\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'224893\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 12:48 AM\']Pentellit, wrestling is one of those things you must watch just once in your life in order to have a well-rounded life experience.[/quote]

Signed, Pentellit (aka Big Wussy Baby)[/quote]
Knowing it's fake, just watch as much as you can stand. Unless it's Bob Barker being beaten senseless, then watch the whole thing.
[/quote]

Pentellit, think of it as Cirque de Soleil.  Its a performance in which the storylines don't always make much sense.  There are acrobatics and pretend fighting.  Costumes and choreography may not be as elaborate, but the audience participation can sometimes make or break a show.

For the record, the "Guest Host" gets to have "unlimited" power to make matches and stipulations between wrestlers.  So watching in that context may help clarify this coming Monday night's events.

Let us know what you think if you do watch!

pentellit

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'225088\' date=\'Sep 5 2009, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225022\' date=\'Sep 5 2009, 07:36 AM\']Knowing it's fake, just watch as much as you can stand. Unless it's Bob Barker being beaten senseless, then watch the whole thing.[/quote]
Pentellit, think of it as Cirque de Soleil. Its a performance in which the storylines don't always make much sense. There are acrobatics and pretend fighting.  Let us know what you think if you do watch![/quote]
Re: Barker's appearance Clemon79 had me ROTFL with;
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'224627\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 07:51 PM\']1) Acquire fifth of Jack Daniels
2) Drink entire fifth of Jack Daniels
3) Watch show, secure in the knowledge that you are now too drunk to claw your eyes out with a fork.[/quote]
But no, not enough Jack D. in the world to make me watch that slimey old bastard.  

But if there's something coming up that would meet the criteria that Loogaroo suggested ("Steer clear of gimmick matches like the ladder or table matches, and avoid non-disqualification bouts"...), something that would be a good entree into the world of wrestling I would definitely try it now.  I LOVE Cirque de Soleil.  I even love the Fruit of the Loom Cirque de Soleil style commercial!  And I reeeeally love big, buff, beefy guys running around nearly naked!

And if it could have just a little romance......

Nah, that's probably asking too much!

Robair

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225006\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 11:54 PM\']Ok, I can do that.  But do they have any shows upcoming that aren't so violent?  I get now that it's staged, but still....it's so horrible to watch a person do (or fake doing) such painful and brutal things to another (it makes me cover my eyes with a couch pillow.  Ouch!)

Signed, Pentellit (aka Big Wussy Baby )[/quote]
You know that TV rating box which precedes any ENTERTAINMENT TV show (its very presence on wrestling shows is a huge clue right there about its authenticity) and does not precede any live sporting event? Just watch it when there are the minimum of letters on the bottom. D. L. S. V. Especially V. Maybe a show which has an S will have the romance you crave. It may just be divas kissing, but what the hell.

Or you can go onto YouTube and watch before it became el grande de melodrama. Like Bruno Sammartino, Big Jay Strongbow, or the best little wrestler ever, Sky Lo Lo. Lots of cool 60s and 70s style bouts.
--Robair

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »
I totally expect Bob to punch out or karate chop whoever the Heel of the Week is.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'224627\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 10:51 PM\']1) Acquire fifth of Jack Daniels
2) Drink entire fifth of Jack Daniels
3) Watch show, secure in the knowledge that you are now too drunk to claw your eyes out with a fork[/quote]
This is probably what I should have done while recapping Temptation.

/Barker'll skin you alive
//As long as nobody wears the skin
This signature is currently under construction.

chad1m

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
pentellit (and for anyone else), I think I've got the perfect introduction to show you what modern pro wrestling is all about: A thirty minute classic, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at this year's WrestleMania 25. (The audio on the clip is unfortunately about four seconds out of sync.) WrestleMania is WWE's flagship pay-per-view extravaganza, usually featuring the best athletes and matches the company has to offer. (I was lucky enough to go to 'Mania 23 at Ford Field.) The story going into this match is that The Undertaker has been in WWE since 1990 and, prior to the match, has wrestled at sixteen WrestleManias, never losing a match. Since he's such a legend, not only is it a big deal to face the Undertaker, but to defeat him at "his" show is huge.

On the other hand, his opponent Shawn Michaels (also a legend in the sport) is known as "Mr. WrestleMania." While he doesn't have the Undertaker's undefeated streak, he is known for always bringing the goods at WrestleMania, consistently delivering exciting matches. These two are the longest-serving members of WWE's roster, and you can see why they've captivated so many people's imaginations and retained their spot for so many years. I hope you'll watch and enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:20:03 PM by chad1m »

Jeremy Nelson

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'225134\' date=\'Sep 6 2009, 02:39 PM\']Or you can go onto YouTube and watch before it became el grande de melodrama. Like Bruno Sammartino, Big Jay Strongbow, or the best little wrestler ever, Sky Lo Lo. Lots of cool 60s and 70s style bouts.[/quote]
A Winner Is You.

[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'225140\' date=\'Sep 6 2009, 03:21 PM\']pentellit (and for anyone else), I think I've got the perfect introduction to show you what modern pro wrestling is all about: A thirty minute classic, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at this year's WrestleMania 25.

...These two are the longest-serving members of WWE's roster, and you can see why they've captivated so many people's imaginations and retained their spot for so many years. I hope you'll watch and enjoy.[/quote]
And you.

/I get to be Star Man
//You two can choose between the 6 that aren't Star Man.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:15:35 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jumpondees

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
I hope this gets better as the night goes on....

I'd love to see something that eclipses Bob's Happy Gilmore moment
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:15:04 PM by Jumpondees »

byrd62

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225282\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:09 PM\']I hope this gets better as the night goes on....[/quote]

Veteran WWE ring announcer Howard Finkel ["The Fink"] did his best Johnny/Rod/Rich on the show.  The Contestants' Row displays had that video-board look.  Nice bit between Bob and Chris Jericho, too.