Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?  (Read 30155 times)

tpirfan28

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »
I tried - made it fourteen minutes before turning it off and stopping the DVR recording.  I never have watched professional wrestling - tonight was the first - and last try at watching.  Just not into it (and all the extra dramatics was too much for me).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225282\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 06:09 PM\']I hope this gets better as the night goes on....[/quote]
Honestly? My initial thought after the first segment was "Ya know, this could have been much worse."
I'd love to see something that eclipses Bob's Happy Gilmore moment
Like that.

(Of course, we have the rest of the show to go yet...)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

opimus

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
How much did the WWE pay Fremantle to use the TPIR music format and logos? Idid like did read outs in thier fake contestant row,

Jumpondees

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
Allow me to hijack the thread by asking the mid-thread question, barring a drop dead hilarious "priceless" memory.

--Will this public appearance enhance or tarnish Bob's legacy?

I'll be the first to answer with...

...Who cares, Vince McMahon rents a television legend for two hours for about the cost of what I would assume would be a sizable donation to one of Bob's favorite animal causes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:24:22 PM by Jumpondees »

Jeremy Nelson

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'225286\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 08:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225282\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 06:09 PM\']I hope this gets better as the night goes on....[/quote]
Honestly? My initial thought after the first segment was "Ya know, this could have been much worse."
[/quote]
It was better than I expected, and it was nice that they copied the Price intro. Bob got a nice Standing O (from the crowd, not Dian), and I'm just taking this for what it is gonna be: a two hour product promotion special, just using the Price themed show as an excuse to place more WWE swag on TV. Price in a stadium looks kinda cool, though.

Anybody else think that Barker was wondering  "Man, we should have done more road shows so I could draw more crowds like this"?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225289\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:22 PM\']--Will this public appearance enhance or tarnish Bob's legacy?[/quote]
I'd seriously entertain that question if we were talking about Nelson Mandela or something.

He's a game show host.  Do you really think appearing on a wrestling program is a significant step down?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jumpondees

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225291\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:37 PM\']He's a game show host.  Do you really think appearing on a wrestling program is a significant step down?[/quote]

Matt, let me with great respect, answer that with this...

Do you think Bob really (and I stress in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective style, "re-he-HE-HEel-ly") needed to appear on a wrestling show?  

I mean truthfully, of all the projects he could possibly do, what would have ultimately brought Bob to decide to show up and do pro wrestling for reasons other than money?

My whole mindset is that although I'd be watching wrestling tonight anyway, I'm of the feeble position that Bob Barker is "above" this kind of "live theater" and could have found something more entertaining to do with two+ hours of his time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:03:23 PM by Jumpondees »

davemackey

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224768\' date=\'Sep 2 2009, 10:38 PM\'][quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'224750\' date=\'Sep 2 2009, 04:40 PM\']/Cue Pentellit response in 3...2...1...[/quote]
gaubster2, I would love to give a response, but I am 100% totally clueless about wrestling shows.  I have never seen one.  I read these posts and try to follow the thread, but it's like you're all speaking a foreign language.  I wish I understood because I'm sure there are some juicy quips and great references going about, but I am totally clueless.  The only tv wrestling I've ever seen is promos for it during commercials.  (Sorry guys, I'm a TV Food Network kinda gal.)

But here's a question for you; is this tv wrestling real?  What I've seen of it during the ten seconds it takes me to find the remote and change the channel, I gotta say it is horribly violent.  I can't imagine that a human being, albiet a buff 250 pound side o' beef (with fabulous hair extensions BTW!) could survive the kinds of impacts that I see.  Is it real?  

And if it's not real, if it's all staged, then what's the attraction?  I'm not being facetious here, I would genuinely like to understand the appeal.  And also to know if it's real or not.
[/quote]
I haven't watched wrasslin' in years. I'm waiting for Gorgeous George to come back.

But I do think that Bob Barker hosting a wrestling show isn't that far fetched. Two words on that one - "Dennis James".

LetsGoMets2003

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »
Guys, if you were expecting serious professional wrestling (that's an oxymoron, but you know what I'm trying to say), tune in TNA, Ring of Honor or any other promotion you wish. This was just about having fun, and I enjoyed it. And I haven't said that about wrestling in a long time.

"Two words: Spin It."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:49:03 PM by LetsGoMets2003 »

clemon79

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
[quote name=\'LetsGoMets2003\' post=\'225300\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 07:48 PM\']Guys, if you were expecting serious professional wrestling, tune in TNA[/quote]
<cough>

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'225285\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 09:16 PM\']I tried - made it fourteen minutes before turning it off and stopping the DVR recording.[/quote]
My TiVo actually rebelled.  At ten, it switched away to record a long-forgotten episode of Castle that my wife missed the first time around.

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2009, 10:55:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225292\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 10:02 PM\']Do you think Bob really (and I stress in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective style, "re-he-HE-HEel-ly") needed to appear on a wrestling show?[/quote]
Bob probably hasn't re-he-HEEL-ly needed to work since the mid 1980s.
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'225292\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 10:02 PM\']I'm of the feeble position that Bob Barker is "above" this kind of "live theater"[/quote]
It is, in fact, a very feeble position.  Bob has essentially been doing this sort of "live theater" his entire career.  Fundamentally, appearing on a wrestling show and appearing on a game show are not markedly different.  They both are generally looked down upon by the rest of the entertainment community.

gaubster2

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »
Well, that wasn't the train wreck I thought it could have been.

That says a lot, considering that it is WWE.  I was entertained; it could have been much worse.

Johnissoevil

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
I lol'd at Santino thinking he was on Wheel when it was his turn to bid.  "I'd like to buy a vowel."
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

Bob Barker to WWE?
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'225308\' date=\'Sep 7 2009, 08:55 PM\']Well, that wasn't the train wreck I thought it could have been.

That says a lot, considering that it is WWE.  I was entertained; it could have been much worse.[/quote]
The low point of the show was that idiotic karate chop segment with Chavo. Other'n that, they kept his bits to "hosting Price Is Right" stuff. Certainly it was more tolerable than Seth Green or Jeremy Piven, who were both embarrassing.