Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 55985 times)

chad1m

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'221796\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:07 AM\']My opinion only, but I think part of your post is personal from the fact that you won't be able to try out for the show.[/quote]And who says I can't end up being a gorilla wanting a new car? I'm partially upset (and again, don't get me wrong, I'm very, very glad that a game is back in daytime, it could open up a whirlwind of opportunity) because I prefer a more cerebral game. With Price as an hour show, they can mix it up a little, but an hour of "What's behind door Number 2?" might not keep attention. Don't let my piece of negativity dampen the parade, though, I'm going to watch the new LMAD every opportunity I get.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:14:56 AM by chad1m »

colonial

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'221787\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 09:16 AM\'][quote name='chris319' post='221776'
Note the preem date of October 5. What, pray, shall run during the intervening two weeks?[/quote]

I could see CBS doing one final tribute to GL and air, say, "10 legendary episodes" from the series during the two weeks in question.  

JD

Don Howard

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'221795\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:07 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'221793\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:03 AM\']Eight minutes into the posting of the official announcement that LMAD got the nod and two months and two days before its premiere and we have the decision being damned already.[/quote]Can I darn, then? I need to repair my socks as it is.
[/quote]
No. That hole in your socks will serve as a reminder of your impulsive iniquity.
Now put on a dress and get ready for your trading floor audition.
Lesse here. 1963-77 (counting the NBC/ABC/SYN initial run as the same), 1980-81, 1984-86, 1990-91, 2003, 2009-. Am I missing any? I do not count Big Deal.

joshg

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
I blame Dean Cain for all of this...
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Don Howard

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'221802\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:18 AM\']I blame Dean Cain for all of this...[/quote]
And I blame Mario Lopez. Do you suppose Monty Hall will give Wayne an anointing during the first show? A Carol Merrill appearance would also be a treat.
I talked to Dean Goss in Facebook chat and he's thrilled the show's coming back and that Monty's given it his blessing. From the for what's it worth department, he said he'd be there in a heartbeat if they wanted him to announce on it. But he's okay with the decision they've made.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'221797\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:10 AM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'221794\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:04 AM\']Also, have you secured a network deal yet? I do believe that the last 10,000 events should be presented during a televised retrospective.[/quote]
It will be televised on Tube8. Mindy Vega will co-host.[/quote]
First, does Bev know that you know who Mindy Vega is?

Second, all original program ideas that are posted on the Game Show Forum become property of the GSF.  And we have a first-look agreement with Chrissy Moran.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221804\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 08:37 AM\']Second, all original program ideas that are posted on the Game Show Forum become property of the GSF.  And we have a first-look agreement with Chrissy Moran.[/quote]
Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'221807\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:42 AM\']Approves[/quote]+1

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221804\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:37 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'221797\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:10 AM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'221794\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:04 AM\']Also, have you secured a network deal yet? I do believe that the last 10,000 events should be presented during a televised retrospective.[/quote]
Second, all original program ideas that are posted on the Game Show Forum become property of the GSF.  And we have a first-look agreement with Chrissy Moran.
[/quote]
To the first, she does now. 1121 days in and our union continues to hold up to everything.
To the second, it's Crissy[/u] Moran. And it's not original. I got it from gamenut.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:56:44 AM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
That's great to hear. I'm glad it didn't take almost 30 years for this to happen like it did with Millionaire. Now, this just needs to take off like Millionaire did, and start a resurgence in network daytime. I'm a bit shocked by Pyramid not getting the nod, but if the pilot went as well as I read, I'm sure it'll find a home elsewhere, preferably syndication sometime in 2010...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

wheelloon

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
Very happy to hear LMAD got picked up. THIS TIME, I'd like to think, they got a person much more suited to the job, with Monty's blessings at that, and with LMAD being a very host-driven show (IMHO), I have good vibes about how this will pan out. There will be no doubt I'll be watching or recording come October... :D

As for Pyramid, I'll reference what I said in another post, in that the approach Embassy Row took with the show, even if CBS didn't pick it up, involving its format, payouts, set, etc. are well-tailored (and I'd also like to think done purposely) to have it easily jump to syndication or even primetime with absolutely no tinkering, at all. Now whether that happens, of course, will be the interesting part, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it does.

Still, a new network daytime GS, and a classic GS at that. No complaints here, it all sounds like good news to me!
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

ethanmx2

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
I'm happy to see that LMAD will be entering the daytime realm once again, however, I also am disappointed that Pyramid will not be coming back along with it. I've always been one who says that you need to stay diversified to keep the games fresh. Putting Pyramid inbetween LMAD and TPIR would have done just that. By placing what, IMO, are 2 very similar shows right next to each other will prove to be hurtful to one of the shows. And since LMAD is the "new kid" on the block, chances are it will likely hurt them the most.

Let's not forget, the classic NBC game show schedule from the 80s always had variety. $ale, Scrabble, WLoD, Classic Concentration, Wheel, and Super Password all had their specific gimmicks and during each shows run, they were always placed in a spot so that each gimmick would not look similar to the show prior or upcoming. That's why NBC has so many classic game shows today. Variety.

While I do hope LMAD for the best, my pessimism is getting the best of me. Don't be surprised if by the end of season 1, or in season 2 we start seeing crossover between LMAD and TPIR be it by contestant or producer design. Still, I give LMAD at least 3-4 years on the air, and will watch it as much as possible, despite Fremantle's reputation of ruining OTHER classic game shows (HINT HINT).

Fedya

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'221810\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:54 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221804\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:37 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'221797\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:10 AM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'221794\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 11:04 AM\']Also, have you secured a network deal yet? I do believe that the last 10,000 events should be presented during a televised retrospective.[/quote]
Second, all original program ideas that are posted on the Game Show Forum become property of the GSF.  And we have a first-look agreement with Chrissy Moran.[/quote]
To the first, she does now. 1121 days in and our union continues to hold up to everything.[/quote]
When I first read Matt's post, I thought he was making a reference to Steve Beverly....
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ethanmx2\' post=\'221814\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 12:54 PM\']While I do hope LMAD for the best, my pessimism is getting the best of me. Don't be surprised if by the end of season 1, or in season 2 we start seeing crossover between LMAD and TPIR be it by contestant or producer design. Still, I give LMAD at least 3-4 years on the air, and will watch it as much as possible, despite Fremantle's reputation of ruining OTHER classic game shows (HINT HINT).[/quote]
I think CBS will go for the obvious Whose Line connection, and I'm willing to put my next check on a Wayne Brady TPiR cameo sometime between Oct. 2-5. Other than that, I think the two shows' formats interloping will be slim*.

With product placement, if the show is pulling anything better than what Guiding Light did ratings-wise, I don't see CBS not keeping it around. Product placement=profit. LMaD's lower production costs=more money for CBS. Days of Our Lives spends about $1.7 mil a week (I tried to find the thread mentioning that, but Invision says it was possibly moved or deleted); GL with its production costs probably hovered between $750K-1 mil a week. An estimated $400K budget was tossed around for LMaD.

As much as I would've loved to see Pyramid on CBS, I can see the network's decision here.

*When the shows aired concurrently in syndication (1972-1978; 1985-86), did they ever air back-to-back in anyone's markets?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

joker316

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
I was one who wanted Pyramid too, but any new network game show works for me. Now if my CBS affiliate carries it, all will be good.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck