Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 55967 times)

dad1153

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »
http://www.thewrap.com/print/4763
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...0ba33d24e328b0e
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800681...yid=14&cs=1

There's a possibility "Pyramid" could fly at a later time (mentioned in the Variety story) but for now "Let's Make a Deal" gets the full hour vacated by "GL."  Check back Monday when CBS makes an official announcement at the TCA Tour meeting.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:38:26 PM by dad1153 »

snowpeck

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
Well if Deal's been picked up as an hour show, I guess Pyramid is dead.  Shame, would have liked to see both go into production as half hour shows.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
I hope Pyramid gets picked up, because for the most part, when it comes to game shows, Embassy Row seemed to "get it".

I can't help but think that Fremantle got the whole hour because of Price, and because they wanted to make sure only their GS stuff was on the network. I can't think of any other reason why CBS wouldn't pick up Pyramid.

But hey, there's no official announcement til tomorrow. I'm keeping the fingers crossed.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
I label this info as suspect until we hear from CBS.  Remember that Pyramid has been doing calls for auditions.  Why would they do that if they're a no-go?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:16:19 PM by NicholasM79 »

dad1153

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
^^^ Josef Adalian is a pretty good source for TV news (plenty of insider access) as are THR and Variety.  But I agree, the official word from CBS at tomorrow morning's TCA Tour meeting with CBS will tell the tale.  Shame that the ability to have product plugs within "Deal's" show is being cited as a key reson for it being picked up.  It's such an advantage over the "Pyramid" format, especially in this penny-pinching times for the networks.  That and quality contestants nowadays are as hard to find as that damn suitcase with the $500K in the syndie "DOND."

Wonder if Michael Davis and GSN would be interested in a stripped-down version of the "Pyramid" pilot with $5,000 and $10,000 as the top prizes.  Then again, after the success of the "Newlywed Game" revival, the "Dating Game" pilot has a better shot at getting the GSN treatment than the cerebral "Pyramid."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:40:32 PM by dad1153 »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'221747\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:15 PM\']I label this info as suspect until we hear from CBS.  Remember that Pyramid has been doing calls for auditions.  Why would they do that if they're a no-go?[/quote]

To be prepared, just in case. I imagine reality shows often put out casting calls without even knowing if they will continue to exist.
@lambertman

CarShark

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
Part of me almost wonders if Pyramid was always headed for syndication, especially with the $1,000,000 gimmick.

colonial

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'221749\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:29 PM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'221747\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:15 PM\']I label this info as suspect until we hear from CBS.  Remember that Pyramid has been doing calls for auditions.  Why would they do that if they're a no-go?[/quote]

To be prepared, just in case. I imagine reality shows often put out casting calls without even knowing if they will continue to exist.
[/quote]

Reality shows have done that for some time -- when I visited my in-laws in Alabama one weekend, the local CBS affiliate was promoting a "Kid Nation Season 2" talent search in Birmingham.  This was before Season 1 hit the air.  Of course, Season 2 never happened.

I have to wonder if CBS is contemplating a prime-time Pyramid, particularly with the $1,000,000 gimmick.

Congrats to Fremantle, Brady and Monty for getting the call, nonetheless!  Hope Fremantle can get it right!

JD

bandit_bobby

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »
With that, LMAD would become one of the very few game shows to be on all three major networks. I know two of them are Password and TPIR. Are there any more?

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'221751\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:50 PM\']Reality shows have done that for some time -- when I visited my in-laws in Alabama one weekend, the local CBS affiliate was promoting a "Kid Nation Season 2" talent search in Birmingham.  This was before Season 1 hit the air.  Of course, Season 2 never happened.[/quote]

On one of the first episodes of "The Mole: The Next Betrayal", before they shelved it, I saw a bumper saying to go to ABC's website for instructions on how to register for "Mole 3".  The second time they aired that episode, the bumper wasn't there, and "Mole 3" never came about as "Mole 3".

[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'221753\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 08:03 PM\']With that, LMAD would become one of the very few game shows to be on all three major networks. I know two of them are Password and TPIR. Are there any more?[/quote]

"Match Game" springs immediately to mind.

Here's hoping that LMAD meets a better fate than the last time it was an hour long, and that we get to see "Pyramid".
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

tomobrien

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'221753\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:03 PM\']With that, LMAD would become one of the very few game shows to be on all three major networks. I know two of them are Password and TPIR. Are there any more?[/quote]
Way back in the dinosaur days, "Down You Go" ran on four networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and DuMont.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:02:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' post=\'221759\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:40 PM\']"Match Game" springs immediately to mind.[/quote]
Fambly Feud, too, if you count the Al Roker show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'221760\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 09:44 PM\'][quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'221753\' date=\'Aug 2 2009, 07:03 PM\']With that, LMAD would become one of the very few game shows to be on all three major networks. I know two of them are Password and TPIR. Are there any more?[/quote]
Way back in the dinosaur days, "Down You Go" ran on four networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and DuMont.
[/quote]

"LMAD" ran on a fourth, Fox, if you count "Big Deal."

weaklink75

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 01:32:30 AM »
I'm actually not that shocked- in this economy, having the sponsor plugs is a big advantage (though I don't know if an hour-long show works for LMAD)..still, Wayne Brady is a good fit for this format I think, and if the expectations aren't too high, it could do well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:33:52 AM by weaklink75 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »
One wonders if the main advertisers on LMAD will be Medicare supplement insurers and makers/distributors of mobility scooters and diabeetus supplies.