Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN celeb vetos  (Read 22286 times)

trainman

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
Another semi-notable name who I believe belongs in this thread:  Serious Journalist Chuck Henry, of NYSI '89.
trainman is a man of trains

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 05:59:36 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'220645\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 09:38 PM\']Another semi-notable name who I believe belongs in this thread:  Serious Journalist Chuck Henry, of NYSI '89.[/quote]And, Now You See It!

(snap taken from xanfan.com)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:59:57 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220688\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 05:59 AM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'220645\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 09:38 PM\']Another semi-notable name who I believe belongs in this thread:  Serious Journalist Chuck Henry, of NYSI '89.[/quote]And, Now You See It!

[/quote]
Win.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

catnap1972

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'220645\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 10:38 PM\']Another semi-notable name who I believe belongs in this thread:  Serious Journalist Chuck Henry, of NYSI '89.[/quote]

Hey...it takes real guts to have to be rescued from a brush fire you're reporting from!  Wouldn't want a stint on a silly game show to mar that!

Ian Wallis

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
I'm told reliably that at least when it comes to Tattletales, episodes featuring Bob Newhart, Dan Rowan, Jay Leno and Michael J. Fox (along with their significant others) were never cleared for broadcast on GSN.

The only one that really surprises me from that list is Michael J. Fox.  IIRC, some of his Pyramid shows have aired on GSN.  I was always under the impression the waiver was "all or nothing".  It looks as if they did have the right to say "these ones can air but these ones can't".

That would also probably explain why Fun Factory was allowed to air - even if it was just two episodes.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'220690\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 06:55 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220688\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 05:59 AM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'220645\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 09:38 PM\']Another semi-notable name who I believe belongs in this thread:  Serious Journalist Chuck Henry, of NYSI '89.[/quote]And, Now You See It!

[/quote]
Win.
[/quote]
I concur...well played!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mmb5

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
Another ex-rectum possibility:

The need to get waivers/permission vary from production company to production company?  For example, Ms. Bertinelli signed her rights away to Bob Stewart but not Mark Goodson.  Just another unfounded piece of speculation.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

calliaume

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'220698\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 07:54 AM\']
I'm told reliably that at least when it comes to Tattletales, episodes featuring Bob Newhart, Dan Rowan, Jay Leno and Michael J. Fox (along with their significant others) were never cleared for broadcast on GSN.

The only one that really surprises me from that list is Michael J. Fox.  IIRC, some of his Pyramid shows have aired on GSN.  I was always under the impression the waiver was "all or nothing".  It looks as if they did have the right to say "these ones can air but these ones can't".

That would also probably explain why Fun Factory was allowed to air - even if it was just two episodes.
[/quote]
I have a theory with Michael J. Fox's appearances on Tattletales (I didn't even know he'd done the show) -- he would have made them with his "special lady," whoever that was at the time (Denise Miller?).  Tracy Pollan didn't appear on Family Ties until 1985, a year after Tattletales bit the dust, and they didn't start dating until two or three years after that.

Expanding a bit:  before we all go blaming Tracy Pollan, the veto probably came years ago, when Fox and Pollan's kids were very small (they have a 20-year-old son, twin 14-year-old girls, and a seven-year-old girl) -- and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to explain why Daddy was on a TV show with a woman who wasn't Mommy.  (For example, I'm not telling my son that I dated his "Aunt" Kris  before my wife and I became a couple for many, many years, if ever.  Unlike How I Met Your Mother's example, not everything needs full disclosure.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:58:04 PM by calliaume »

Jimmy Owen

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
Like the theory, but that would mean they'd have to shield the kids from seeing Daddy with Courtney Cox, all those leading ladies in his movies, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'220733\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 12:16 PM\']Like the theory, but that would mean they'd have to shield the kids from seeing Daddy with Courtney Cox, all those leading ladies in his movies, etc.[/quote]
And that feeds into the theory that Tracy Pollan got Carla Gugino bounced from Spin City because she thought their love scenes were too realistic -- which I don't buy into.  But even the kids can probably tell the difference between a "real life" show like Tattletales and when Daddy is pretending on Family Ties or Back to the Future.  (Either that or he had a really bad breakup with Denise Miller.)

Robert Hutchinson

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:22 AM »
I do wonder if some of what appear to be vetoes are actually just the celebrities never responding to GSN's inquiries. Or would an attempt to contact be sufficient to allow them to be aired?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'220801\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 09:18 PM\']I do wonder if some of what appear to be vetoes are actually just the celebrities never responding to GSN's inquiries. Or would an attempt to contact be sufficient to allow them to be aired?[/quote]
Sufficient? Ultimately we know that this is a courtesy that GSN is extending to these people. They've bought the rights to the library, none of this "X wants this show off the market" is in the contract, and if they wanted to run the show, they are within their rights to do so.

So, that being said, why would they consider "ooh, he's not home" sufficient to end the courtesy they're under no obligation to extend in the first place?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyrfan

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 12:28:01 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'220736\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 01:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'220733\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 12:16 PM\']Like the theory, but that would mean they'd have to shield the kids from seeing Daddy with Courtney Cox, all those leading ladies in his movies, etc.[/quote]
And that feeds into the theory that Tracy Pollan got Carla Gugino bounced from Spin City because she thought their love scenes were too realistic -- which I don't buy into.  But even the kids can probably tell the difference between a "real life" show like Tattletales and when Daddy is pretending on Family Ties or Back to the Future.  (Either that or he had a really bad breakup with Denise Miller.)
[/quote]
Wasn't Michael dating Nancy McKeon in the early '80s? If she was his partner on "Tattletales," it wouldn't surprise me if she was the one who put the kibosh on the GSN reruns. She seems to want to distance herself from her "Facts Of Life" days.

FYI: One of Michael's "Pyramid" weeks with Denise Miller aired on GSN twice, and during that week, Denise announced that she had just gotten married.

Brendan

Robert Hutchinson

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 12:05:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220802\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 12:25 AM\']Ultimately we know that this is a courtesy that GSN is extending to these people. They've bought the rights to the library, none of this "X wants this show off the market" is in the contract, and if they wanted to run the show, they are within their rights to do so.[/quote]
Well, see, I didn't know that.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'220982\' date=\'Jul 24 2009, 12:05 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220802\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 12:25 AM\']Ultimately we know that this is a courtesy that GSN is extending to these people. They've bought the rights to the library, none of this "X wants this show off the market" is in the contract, and if they wanted to run the show, they are within their rights to do so.[/quote]Well, see, I didn't know that.[/quote]
That's because it's not true, or at least not nearly that simple.

GSN believes they are legally required to obtain permission from celebrities to use their appearances, at least in many (most?) circumstances.  I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of the legal issues, but it seems to boil down to the fact that the agreements the stars signed back in the day were for single airings, not for replays.  Who knew back in the sixties and seventies that these shows would ever be replayed?

As I've said, it's complicated, and GSN might be being overly cautious, much as they've been with the cigarette-sponsored classics.  My understanding is that the company that released the DVD sets did NOT pursue getting clearances from all the stars who were featured, and obviously home video rights were not part of any original contracts.  Still, GSN doesn't believe they're going to all this trouble as a courtesy.  They think it's something they have to do, and if a star doesn't agree, then they believe they have to abide by the star's wishes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.