Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN celeb vetos  (Read 22291 times)

pyrfan

GSN celeb vetos
« on: July 20, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »
The thread about the "$25,000 Pyramid" skipping got me thinking: How many celebs besides Jean Bruce Scott do we think vetoed their appearances on one or more GSN game shows? These are the ones I can think of:

Adam Arkin (Match Game '77, Match Game PM)
Anitra Ford (Match Game '76)
Betty Thomas (Password Plus, Body Language)
Fern Fitzgerald (Body Language)
James B. Sikking (Password)
Jay Leno (Tattletales)
Jimmie Walker (Match Game syndie -- though his appearances on every other version of MG have aired on GSN, as have his appearances on other game shows)
Steve Kanaly (Match Game syndie -- though his two PM episodes did air at least once apiece on GSN, as did his week of All-Star Beat The Clock)
Valerie Bertinelli (Match Game '78, Match Game PM -- though three of her $20,000 Pyramid episodes did air on GSN)

Brendan

snowpeck

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »
I remember reading somewhere (whether it was here, ATGS, or the GSN board I can't recall) that when asked about the question, Jimmie Walker says he didn't give the veto to any episodes and doesn't know why the shows don't air.

Don't forget about the Newharts on Tattletales, and wasn't there some trouble with Leslie Nielsen's MG7x episodes for awhile?  I know they have aired at some point.

Greg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:11:44 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

calliaume

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'220536\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 12:16 AM\']The thread about the "$25,000 Pyramid" skipping got me thinking: How many celebs besides Jean Bruce Scott do we think vetoed their appearances on one or more GSN game shows? These are the ones I can think of:

Adam Arkin (Match Game '77, Match Game PM)
Anitra Ford (Match Game '76)
Betty Thomas (Password Plus, Body Language)
Fern Fitzgerald (Body Language)
James B. Sikking (Password)
Jay Leno (Tattletales)
Jimmie Walker (Match Game syndie -- though his appearances on every other version of MG have aired on GSN, as have his appearances on other game shows)
Steve Kanaly (Match Game syndie -- though his two PM episodes did air at least once apiece on GSN, as did his week of All-Star Beat The Clock)
Valerie Bertinelli (Match Game '78, Match Game PM -- though three of her $20,000 Pyramid episodes did air on GSN)[/quote]
Do we know that any of these celebrities actually did veto appearances?  ()ther than Ginny Newhart on Tattletales -- and do we even know for sure she did?

I could see Jay Leno wanting to get rid of an early appearance in his career, and if Valerie Bertinelli played MG like she did Pyramid, that one might make sense too -- but honestly, why would the others not want face time?

Ian Wallis

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is/was celebrity vetoes keeping them off GSN.  In the now famous letter I wrote to David Schwartz in 1996, his reply stated that any celebrity appearance after 1973 the celebrity had to sign a waiver allowing it to re-air, otherwise GSN couldn't air it.  (Same goes for music clearances, that's why music on the '70s Newlywed Game was altered).

Over the years they seem to have gotten more clearances.  Examples:  Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme seemed to be two holdouts originally, because the premiere week of 1982 Tattletales never aired in the early years.  Last time through they aired the whole week.  I believe Anthony and Dereth Newley were two others, besides Ginny Newhart.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kevin Prather

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'220550\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 07:18 AM\']...if Valerie Bertinelli played MG like she did Pyramid, that one might make sense too...[/quote]
So in 1978, Valerie was 18. Out of curiosity, did that make her the youngest celeb to appear on either or both of those shows? (Excluding All-Star Junior/Junior Partner Pyramid.)

Jay Temple

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'220557\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 12:50 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'220550\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 07:18 AM\']...if Valerie Bertinelli played MG like she did Pyramid, that one might make sense too...[/quote]
So in 1978, Valerie was 18. Out of curiosity, did that make her the youngest celeb to appear on either or both of those shows? (Excluding All-Star Junior/Junior Partner Pyramid.)
[/quote]
Jill Whelan (Love Boat) and Philip McKeon (Alice) did Pyramid the week of August 15, 1983. Jill would not turn 17 until the following month.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'220550\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 10:18 AM\']I could see Jay Leno wanting to get rid of an early appearance in his career, and if Valerie Bertinelli played MG like she did Pyramid, that one might make sense too -- but honestly, why would the others not want face time?[/quote]
I think that there is probably a mindset among certain performers that the 'face time' of a dredged up, decades-old game show appearance could theoretically do more harm than good to those still trying to carve out a living as a Serious Actor (or, in the case of Betty Thomas, Serious Director).  If that list is any indication, it would appear to be a minority viewpoint, and it probably doesn't explain every single example.

[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'220550\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 10:18 AM\']Do we know that any of these celebrities actually did veto appearances?[/quote]
Seems to me that we have a combination of information (from Schwartz at GSN, mostly) and assumption, some of which is a little suspect.  Walker, for example, flatly denies it, and most of his episodes have aired.  Why then would he be on a veto list?  

I have a small, specific list hidden away somewhere that I'll try to find.  Seems like there were a couple other big names on it that haven't been mentioend.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'220564\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 11:11 AM\']I think that there is probably a mindset among certain performers that the 'face time' of a dredged up, decades-old game show appearance could theoretically do more harm than good to those still trying to carve out a living as a Serious Actor (or, in the case of Betty Thomas, Serious Director).[/quote]
That said. I don't see that applying to Jay Leno. He would milk the hell out of it for laughs when someone would dredge up an old clip on his show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220569\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 02:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'220564\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 11:11 AM\']I think that there is probably a mindset among certain performers that the 'face time' of a dredged up, decades-old game show appearance could theoretically do more harm than good to those still trying to carve out a living as a Serious Actor (or, in the case of Betty Thomas, Serious Director).[/quote]That said. I don't see that applying to Jay Leno. He would milk the hell out of it for laughs when someone would dredge up an old clip on his show.[/quote]
Absolutely.  The Leno one puzzles me as well.

colonial

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'220571\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 03:03 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220569\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 02:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'220564\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 11:11 AM\']I think that there is probably a mindset among certain performers that the 'face time' of a dredged up, decades-old game show appearance could theoretically do more harm than good to those still trying to carve out a living as a Serious Actor (or, in the case of Betty Thomas, Serious Director).[/quote]That said. I don't see that applying to Jay Leno. He would milk the hell out of it for laughs when someone would dredge up an old clip on his show.[/quote]
Absolutely.  The Leno one puzzles me as well.
[/quote]

I'm thinking Mavis Leno (Jay's wife) put the kibosh on their TT appearance.  Given her work on women's rights (particularly defending the rights of women in Afghanistan), she may be uncomfortable being showcased as a goof on TV.

James

Matt Ottinger

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:59:09 PM »
I'm told reliably that at least when it comes to Tattletales, episodes featuring Bob Newhart, Dan Rowan, Jay Leno and Michael J. Fox (along with their significant others) were never cleared for broadcast on GSN.

Don Howard

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'220587\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 04:59 PM\']I'm told reliably that at least when it comes to Tattletales, episodes featuring Bob Newhart, Dan Rowan, Jay Leno and Michael J. Fox (along with their significant others) were never cleared for broadcast on GSN.[/quote]
One with Dan Rowan slipped through. It was an eppy that Dick Martin was on as well. It was from the 1982-84 run and what I recall most about it was Dan calling the questions "sophomoric".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:10:55 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
I wonder if Betty Thomas would have veto power over "The Fun Factory."?  Isn't it a little unfair to deny Dick Blasucci some meager GSN residuals?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Scrabbleship

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'220594\' date=\'Jul 20 2009, 06:07 PM\']I wonder if Betty Thomas would have veto power over "The Fun Factory."?  Isn't it a little unfair to deny Dick Blasucci some meager GSN residuals?[/quote]

Well, has GSN ever aired it even though its in their vaults. Between her and Sikking, I wonder what disdain Hill Street Blues alumni have towards GSN, Barbara Bosson's horrible week on $25K Pyramid rerun multiple times aside.

I'll just lurk away and pray for Mavis Leno and Tracy Pollan...among others...

Jimmy Owen

GSN celeb vetos
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
According to TV Guide listings for late June of 77, Jay Leno appeared on Tattletales not with Mavis but with Adele Blue (Obviously not the similarly named singer who has appeared on "The Tonight Show," who was born in 1988.)

Also on the show were the Vic Taybacks and Jack Douglas and Reiko.  Maybe they can't locate Jack Douglas and Reiko to green-light.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.