Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite version of Hollywood Sqaures  (Read 15779 times)

Gameshowcrackers

Favorite version of Hollywood Sqaures
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »
What was your favorite all time version of Hollywood Sqaures?

Was it the original starring genial emcee Peter Marshall and featuring regulars, Charley Weaver, Wally Cox and Paul Lynde in the center square.

Was it the manic incarnation which ran from 1986 to 1989 with the jazzy theme tune hosted by original Hollywood Squares regular, John Davidson and featuring the voice of America's top 40, Shadoe Stevens who was also a regular on the show.

Or perhaps you liked the last version which ran from 1998 to 2004 emceed by Dancing with the Stars host, Tom Bergeron.

For me I have to say it was the crazy middle one, hosted by John Davidson and featuring Shadoe Stevens as announcer and regular panellist with the likes of Jim J Bullock, Joan Rivers and co as regular 'Squares'.

It had the most fun and also introduced the car game at the end plus it had a great opening and closing theme tune. Also, went on the road a couple of times to Florida and New York city.

The Tom Bergeron one was my least favorite version.

But which version was your favorite?
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
Not a big fan of the show in general, but if pressed, I'll say the Marshall version.  I prefered "Blankety Blanks" over on ABC.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

geno57

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
Marshall's is the classic, of course.  Bergeron did a great job as host.  But I never could stand anything with Davidson in it.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'220335\' date=\'Jul 17 2009, 10:20 AM\']Not a big fan of the show in general, but if pressed, I'll say the Marshall version.  I prefered "Blankety Blanks" over on ABC.[/quote]

So you're the one who watched it. It ran just ten weeks. Cute format (even though it changed about five times), great host, but other than that, it was doomed.

I have to go with Peter Marshall version as well. The jokes were funnier, and the celebs knew how to BLUFF, which was an afterthought on Bergeron's version, though I thought Tom did a good job as host.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'220336\' date=\'Jul 17 2009, 10:25 AM\']Marshall's is the classic, of course.  Bergeron did a great job as host.  But I never could stand anything with Davidson in it.[/quote]

Ditto. I went to see Davidson's version of HS when it taped from Radio City Music Hall in NYC. They had to stop tape numerous times because Davidson kept screwing up, and he was reading from cue cards. He's got nice dimples, but he was dumb as an ox!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:23:54 PM by BillCullen1 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
Marshall, hands down.   Bergeron was good as well, but Marshall set the standard.

The first season of Davidson's version was good.  After that, not so much.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gamed121683

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'220336\' date=\'Jul 17 2009, 10:25 AM\']Marshall's is the classic, of course.  Bergeron did a great job as host.  But I never could stand anything with Davidson in it.[/quote]

Anything with Davidson in it...now THAT'S Incredible!

/What? I thought there was a two-drink minimum around here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:48:53 AM by gamed121683 »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
Davidson version.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
What? The Jon Bauman run isn't being considered? (Yes, I could resist, but asked anyway).
I give the 1966-81 run an A-. (would be an A+ but The Vegas Season was comparably poor and the set used for the final year of The Burbank Era was horrid, plus by then Paul Lynde had gone). So A- is the overall grade. Sky high marks for both Peter Marshall and Kenny Williams and all three themes used.
The 1986-89 edition gets a C. It could've gotten a B- had the game not dragged to a crawl so often.
The 1998-2004 run gets a B+ primarily because of Tom Bergeron's outstanding hosting abilities. Thankfully, they had the wisdom to dump the Double Or Nothing bonus round.
Is it too soon for the show to go for another comeback?

Gameshowcrackers

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'220342\' date=\'Jul 17 2009, 09:58 AM\']Sky high marks for both Peter Marshall and Kenny Williams and all three themes used.[/quote]

Apparently Shadoe Stevens once subbed for Williams as announcer for a week of shows in 1974 meaning that he has announced on all incarnations of the Hollywood Sqaures!
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

Tim L

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »
I have to go with the Marshall version as my favorite..If you didnt expect too much out of the Davidson version it was ok.  Bergeron did a great job as host, but there was too much Whoopi early on..As far as a revival, it might be about time..But where would you get 9 celebrities that are that well known these days that might have an idea how to play the game?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'220348\' date=\'Jul 17 2009, 12:20 PM\']Apparently Shadoe Stevens once subbed for Williams as announcer for a week of shows in 1974 meaning that he has announced on all incarnations of the Hollywood Sqaures![/quote]
I see that in the IMDB he's credited with one specific episode of the original series, but I have a really hard time believing that's true.  For one thing, I think the coincidence of him going on to do the next two versions is a little too great, so it seems this would be the sort of thing that would have come up before.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
My vote goes to the Bergeron run in the post-Whoopi era.  Close behind that is the Davidson version.  The original version seemed too cut-and-dry.  Yes, it had its funny moments, but they seemed to take it too seriously.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Sodboy13

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
The Marshall version, overall, is the standard-bearer.  But my personal favorite is the first season of the post-Whoopi "H2" version.  Everything just really seemed like it came together in that season, Bergeron was on top of his game, the bonus round was the best the series has ever had, and the show had yet to suffer from Attack of Teh Cheap (both in terms of prizes and celeb bookings).
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
I watched more Bergeron than Davidson and Marshall, but I'll say Marshall and Bergeron versions were good, especially for their eras.

I watched a couple of Davidson shows, and it just drags on. No dice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:53:13 PM by Strikerz04 »