Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: funny money  (Read 22065 times)

Matt Ottinger

funny money
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2003, 11:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 09:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 09:03 AM\'] We're definitely in who-cares-who-wins territory, and as long as they don't alienate the game faithful too much with a show that's so dramatically anti-contestant, it might do allright.

[/quote]
Does that mean that a show in the HIGNFY vein wouldn't fit on GSN?

p.s. HIGNFY means Have I Got News For You [/quote]
 I've said it before, I'll say it again.  If you think your acronyms and abbreviations aren't going to be understood by people, DON'T USE THEM!

With that off my chest, I never meant to imply that a non-traditional show wouldn't work on GSN.  (Wow, a triple negative, at least!)  With self-contained episodes and no returning champions EVER, most of GSN's original programming is who-cares-who-wins.  But most of the other shows at least focus on the game, and Funny Money doesn't really bother.  Still, the show might very well work out for them, not everybody's as obsessive about the games as we are.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tomarkenfan77

funny money
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »
STUPID stupid show

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
funny money
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2003, 11:32:06 AM »
[quote name=\'tomarkenfan77\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 08:07 AM\'] STUPID stupid show [/quote]
 Thank you for that insightful and detailed assessment. Would you care to share with us WHY you feel this way?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

funny money
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2003, 03:50:52 PM »
Does that mean that a show in the HIGNFY vein wouldn't fit on GSN?
p.s. HIGNFY means Have I Got News For You

First of all, it's a format of show (comedy panel quiz) that we aren't too familiar with over here.  Next, people will point out that the idea was tried with \"We Interrupt This Week\" and \"The News Hole with Harry Shearer\" and it bombed both times.  More recently, \"Never Mind the Buzzcocks\" (which is \"HIGNFY\" with pop music as the focus) bombed in its VH1 Americanization.  Finally, \"HIGNFY\" is a topical show that loses its freshness rather quickly--and GSN wants shows that can play six months from now or a year from now.  (Yes, the BBC did do a \"best of\" daytime series, but that was with putting things in context--they didn't just pull the shows off the rack and run them as is.)

I'd probably say something about the difficulty of finding team captains and a host with any chemistry--but of course \"HIGNFY\" has been running for two consecutive series now with guest hosts after Angus Deayton's unfortunate turn of events--which either means that Paul Merton and Ian Hislop were carrying the show more than I thought or that anyone can read the scripted jokes for the host on the prompter.