Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: funny money  (Read 22032 times)

joeken2

funny money
« on: June 20, 2003, 12:53:28 AM »
What does people think of funny money.  Good premis but something is missing.  If it was me maybe use a make me laugh type show.  Some of the stand up is not good but that should get better.  What does everyone think

DrBear

funny money
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 01:38:30 AM »
It's not bad - not much of a game, though. And the entertainment value depends too much on the comics. Pardo's too excited for my taste. If you have three comedians, you shouldn't need a hyper host.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

whampyl03

funny money
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 01:46:24 AM »
I think Pardo is a good host, it just sounds like he talking with a mouth full of marbles sometimes.  The format is a is close to a dizaster, the only thing good about it is the bonus round (for some strange reason, I kinda like it).  The show is not horrible, but not good either, I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 01:46:56 AM by whampyl03 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
funny money
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 02:24:52 AM »
As I've said in other threads, the problem with this show is gonna be that the comics are gonna be too busy trying to get noticed by Dave or Jay to actually play the game in the best interest of the players...building up a joke and burning 20 seconds off of the clock is painful to watch, when it's worth the same 1 point that each of a quick series of rapid-fire gags is worth.

It's gonna flop hard and quickly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

funny money
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 10:03:44 AM »
I dunno.  As an effort to move beyond traditional games, it's not a bad little comedy showcase.  We're definitely in who-cares-who-wins territory, and as long as they don't alienate the game faithful too much with a show that's so dramatically anti-contestant, it might do allright.

I like the photo caption round a lot, and I wish they'd play more of them.  Gives us a chance to see the comics compete against each other on more or less equal footing.  I also like little things about the show -- a \"National Lampoon Vacation\" to the winner, scores kept in \"billions\" of dollars (reminds me of some of the cyberbuck net games), even Budd Friedman announcing.  Pardo is trying WAY too hard, he reminds me a little of an over-caffeinated Ray Combs.   Other than that it's a cute show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Timsterino

funny money
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 03:57:04 PM »
I really dislike this show. I agree that this show will not be around very long. It makes you wonder what goes on during that screening period when they are showing the show to groups of people.

Tim :-)

cmjb13

funny money
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 04:22:12 PM »
Thought yo umight find this interesting. Straight from GSN's site.

National Lampoon’s Funny Money really began when writers/performers Marc Price, Scott Rubin, and Steve Ochs sat down to create a game show involving their first love, standup comedy.

After years of experimenting with various rounds, and deconstructing standup into its most basic components to enhance game play; they began to run the show live at the Hollywood Improv, where it became a fan favorite.

Years passed and Marc (Skippy on “Family Ties”) went on to form Budd Friedman Digital (BFD) with legendary Improv founder Budd Freidman. Steve Ochs became a highly sought-after animation writer contributing to shows like Disney’s Recess and the multiple-Emmy Award winning series Rugrats and Scott Rubin, would land the coveted Editor in Chief slot at National Lampoon.

Although all three were riding high on successful entertainment careers, their stand up game show idea languished in a drawer for years. It wasn’t until veteran TV Programmer Jane Sparango, who had once optioned the idea, convinced Price that the project should be resurrected. Price agreed.

Price, now an accomplished comedy producer, reunited the original partners, however this time he would include his TV production partner, seasoned standup impresario Budd Friedman.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

funny money
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 04:23:14 PM »
I had to cut this into 2 parts as there is a character limit.

After several “backyard” run throughs, complete with home video tape, Sparango saw the fit between the concept and Bob Boden’s Game Show Network. The project was pitched and Bob Boden immediately smelled a winner.

But Boden knew that something was still missing if he was to bring the show’s full potential to the viewers of the Game Show Network.

He suggested that Marc, Budd, Scott & Steve marry their talents with those of game show pro Pat Finn and his company In-Finn-Ity Productions. For years Pat has been a game show fixture as the host of The Big Spin and Shop Till You Drop. He’d also produced a wide range of programming including a comedy show starring the famous Groundlings troupe. It seemed a good fit, so all parties met and the chemistry was great from the first handshake.

In the meantime, National Lampoon was in the midst of a corporate takeover. Dan Laikin, the new COO of National Lampoon, delivered a new corporate edict: “develop original television shows utilizing comedians.” When Laikin became aware of “Funny Money,” he wanted in. After all this was a National Lampoon partly created show -- since the Editor in Chief of National Lampoon co-created it. It was the perfect fit and a great way to introduce the new National Lampoon strategy.

GSN was ecstatic to have National Lampoon officially involved creatively and of course lend their brand name to the title.

With funding from the Game Show Network, the group began to develop the project into a workable television series. It was an exciting but demanding process encompassing highly-charged group brainstorming sessions, tens of dozens of experimental run-throughs, and a wide-ranging search for the show’s linchpin—the perfect host. They whittled the scores of highly-qualified potential front men down to one comic who combined a host’s skill set with a razor-sharp comedic mind, Jimmy Pardo.

After months of hard work, working very closely with Rich Cronin, Bob Boden, Kevin Belinkoff and other key Game Show Network executives, the group was ready to present a formal run through at Budd’s Hollywood Improv club. Tension was high that night. Although the group knew they’d done their homework and crafted some terrific television, new shows can take unpredictable turns, and as all stand-ups know, even great comedy can die on stage if it doesn’t connect just right with a particular audience.

But the game play was exciting and stimulating, the comedy was hilarious and host Jimmy Pardo conducted the show with a masters touch. Rich Cronin and Bob Boden didn’t have a hard time deciding to order a pilot.

Several more months of experimenting and fine-tuning later, the Hollywood Improv was buzzing with the excitement of the pilot shoot. Again the show seemed to go very well, meeting or exceeding all expectations. But one huge question loomed. How would it rate when Game Show Network screened it for test audiences? Sure, comedy insiders and game show pros loved it, but would everyday people get it at all? That question was answered with a huge affirmative when the show garnered exceptional test audience scores. The Game Show Network ordered enough episodes to air seven nights a week, and National Lampoon’s Funny Money, the most hilarious game show in television history, was born.

After several “backyard” run throughs, complete with home video tape, Sparango saw the fit between the concept and Bob Boden’s Game Show Network. The project was pitched and Bob Boden immediately smelled a winner

Boden doesn't have very good tatse..

How would it rate when Game Show Network screened it for test audiences? Sure, comedy insiders and game show pros loved it, but would everyday people get it at all? That question was answered with a huge affirmative when the show garnered exceptional test audience scores

Test audience=GSN Monkeys?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

funny money
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 04:29:37 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 01:22 PM\'] After years of experimenting with various rounds, and deconstructing standup into its most basic components to enhance game play... [/quote]
 It took them YEARS to come up with that crap?

Brandon Brooks

funny money
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 04:41:21 PM »
It took them YEARS to come up with that crap?
I've only recently watched it, and it's at best moderately bad.  I would take Wintuition anytime over this junk.  However, I wish I would've seen the episode with George Gray.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 04:41:45 PM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

funny money
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2003, 04:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 01:41 PM\'] However, I wish I would've seen the episode with George Gray.
 [/quote]
 George was not only very funny, he was the only one of the three comics who really understood the idea of the game was to get laughs, and therefore made the most of his 45 seconds. That the chickie who won didn't pick him for the bonus game says something about the quality of contestant they're getting for this show.

zachhoran

funny money
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2003, 08:20:53 PM »
I'm waiting to see if up-and-coming comedian Bruce Baum will make an appearance. Bruce has been up-and-coming for a good quarter century now, going back to Bobby Van's Make Me Laugh(he's the only comedian to do both Van's and the 1997-98 Comedy Central version). Bruce also has another infamous GS connection: He was one of the celebs the week wanted fugitive Patrick \"Kerry Ketchem\" Quinn won $60K on SUper Password.

clemon79

funny money
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2003, 08:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 05:20 PM\'] I'm waiting to see if up-and-coming comedian Bruce Baum will make an appearance. Bruce has been up-and-coming for a good quarter century now, [/quote]
 Wouldn't surprise me, nor would I be surprised to see the Bruce Baum of the 1990, Tom Arnold, make an appearance....

(Tom would spend the first 20 of his 45 seconds saying \"Okay! Okay! This is great! Okay!...\")

BrandonFG

funny money
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2003, 10:14:07 PM »
[quote name=\'joeken2\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 11:53 PM\'] What does people think of funny money.  Good premis but something is missing.  If it was me maybe use a make me laugh type show.  Some of the stand up is not good but that should get better.  What does everyone think [/quote]
 The jury's still out. Put it like this: the only time I really laughed at the show was when they did the consolation prize for the luggage...........tags, which was taken from the Comedy Central version of Make Me Laugh. When your prize spiels are funnier than the \"talent,\" we have a problem.  My cousin and I looked at some of the premiere ep., decided that :45 wasn't enough to make good jokes, and went right back to the Spurs-Nets game. (damn you, San Antonio)

I'll either take it or leave it, but it's a good time slot wasted.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tommycharles

funny money
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2003, 05:01:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 09:03 AM\'] We're definitely in who-cares-who-wins territory, and as long as they don't alienate the game faithful too much with a show that's so dramatically anti-contestant, it might do allright.

[/quote]
 Does that mean that a show in the HIGNFY vein wouldn't fit on GSN?

p.s. HIGNFY means Have I Got News For You