Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM bringing back phone qualification...  (Read 23364 times)

Matt Ottinger

WWTBAM bringing back phone qualification...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'219639\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 08:44 AM\']Seems a bit worrisome that every phone-in date "winnar" can choose any of the six available tape dates. IIRC the tape date selections 10 years ago were a bit more limited and staggered based on when the winnar called in, but I could be wrong. Whatever the result, the odds seem astronomical.[/quote]
I don't see how the odds would be any different due to the way the tape date is chosen.  Ultimately, you still have X number of winners and Y number of tape dates.  If anything, from the sound of things it's harder than ever to beat the phone game.  That plus, frankly, there hasn't been a lot of promotion this time around, suggests to me that the pool of winners ought to be smaller than ever.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Vgmastr

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
Anyone able to get any questions tonight?  I enter my birthday and social and nothing happens.  No message, no nothing, just silence.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 07:50:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' post=\'219691\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 07:47 PM\']Anyone able to get any questions tonight?  I enter my birthday and social and nothing happens.  No message, no nothing, just silence.[/quote]
Should have held on. Same thing happened to me, but eventually I got the rules and regs and, eventually, the questions.

/well, one of the questions at least
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
I didn't even get a chance to answer a single question...and it was my own fault.  I have a cordless phone w/speaker phone, and assuming that if I put the handset on the cradle, the speaker would come on the base unit, instead of the handset.  Unfortunately, the phone hung up, just after I entered my info.  I tried to call back, but when it hung up, it also hung my chances of playing for that day.  In other words...

Once you enter your info, don't hang up!  Otherwise, you will have to wait until 7PM tomorrow to play the phone game.

mmb5

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:28 PM »
And my rest of the week got some free time.  I qualified.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
Note: There's a web version of the phone game, but it is only for those who cannot use a phone. It's not for fun.  The link to the computer game from Millionaire's phone game page is here.

--Charlie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:12:29 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm ineligible for the show, but decided to play just for shiggles.

Good thing, because I'm now 0-2, making it to the second question, something about arranging movie songs in order of release, starting with the earliest. I figured out three of them, but do not know what the hell Into the West is from.

/Oh. No wonder I didn't know.
//For the record, the other three songs were 1. Gangsta's Paradise, 2. Against All Odds, and 3. The Rose
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:12:03 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'219700\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 09:10 PM\']I'm ineligible for the show, but decided to play just for shiggles.

Good thing, because I'm now 0-2[/quote]Yeah, same here. The phone game is certainly an ego killer. I'm sure I could pass the modern audition test but by God if it was still all Fastest Finger all the time, I'd never make it on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:26:37 PM by chad1m »

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
I hit one question yesterday, two questions today.  Messed up on a movie Q this time.  0 for 2.

/I told you I suck at this!
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

mcsittel

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
I got to question #5 which was putting reality TV shows in order, which I proceeded to screw up since I'd never heard of one of them... I can't get upset about that.  Question 4 was putting traditional anniversary gifts in order-it pays to read those freebie Hallmark calendars!

Matt

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »
I screwed up on a question about Pixar films; having never heard of Up.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'219705\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 10:00 PM\']I screwed up on a question about Pixar films; having never heard of Up.[/quote]
Good lord, really?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'219710\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 10:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'219705\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 10:00 PM\']I screwed up on a question about Pixar films; having never heard of Up.[/quote]
Good lord, really?[/quote]
Be kind.  Iowa theaters just started showing Monsters, Inc. this past holiday weekend.

tvmitch

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' post=\'219691\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 07:47 PM\']Anyone able to get any questions tonight?  I enter my birthday and social and nothing happens.  No message, no nothing, just silence.[/quote]
My wait time was about 15 seconds between entering the last 4 of my social and hearing the rest of the spiel. Be patient. I almost hung up but it's most certainly a lost cause as soon as you do that.

I think it's interesting how they're using the same phone system since the show started 10 years ago. I imagine the interns dusting off a late '90s-era server, firing it up, and crossing fingers.
You should follow me on Twitter

beatlefreak84

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
I got to #2 last night (flipped two inventions in terms of which came first), and got to #4 tonight, which was on arranging classes of Japanese people in order of importance, but I forgot it was HIGH-LOW, not LOW-HIGH.  Whoops!  :(

Anyway, is anyone else shocked at how fast the answers are being read?  My hand hurts from trying to write fast enough to keep up and still give myself enough idea what the question and answers were!

Oh, well...there's always tomorrow (third time's the charm!)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™