Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso  (Read 32173 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'218637\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 02:34 AM\']Wouldn't the "alternating bid" format make the showcase round LONGER? The bidding could conceivably go a LONG time.[/quote]
On the Australian show, they would start by giving the contestants a $100 range in which to bid. "Tonight's Showcase is between $26,700 and $26,800."
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'218655\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 09:27 AM\']My point is that the Showcase Round isn't broken in the first place.[/quote]
There is one single compelling argument for changing to the Australian Showcase system: budget. If they need to reduce the prize budget, an easy way to do it is to switch to a format that doesn't give away a Showcase away every day.

But since they're jacking up payouts on the Big Wheel and such, budgetary issues don't seem to be a problem, so I agree with your overall point.

(Besides, they made this bed when they decided that the first show of the season should be all car games and that Punchboard should have a two-kajillion dollar card on it and what-not.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Brown

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218661\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 01:12 PM\']There is one single compelling argument for changing to the Australian Showcase system: budget. If they need to reduce the prize budget, an easy way to do it is to switch to a format that doesn't give away a Showcase away every day.[/quote]

And there's one compelling argument against that - an experienced producer can manipulate the games and prizes to get the budget back in the black; they don't need to change a 37-year old aspect of the show.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Neumms

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
Do you suppose the unbelievably cool change would be at the announcer's mike?

More likely, they get rid of the whole "without going over" thing in Contestants' Row, Card Game and the Showcases. After all, it only causes sadness. And nobody remembers Cullen's version anyway.

CarShark

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'218655\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 12:27 PM\']Going to an hour after two years when what you're doing is adding more content to what became a popular show makes sense. Changing a recognizable portion of the show after 37 when they don't need to make the change ruins all sorts of iconic-ness and momentum.[/quote]But isn't the show's problem that they've been losing momentum ever since Barker left? I'm not saying that this will fix everything. Drew has to get better at explaining games and interacting with contestants. They need to be creative with the Showcases again. This could be part of a big resurgence, though. You can only live on past iconic-ness for so long.

Do they "need" to keep things the same? Yeah, they do. Much of the appeal is that you're going to see the same stable of games and the planned rounds in the same order every time.
I think that's some of the appeal, though I imagine a lot of the appeal has to be that 1) they get to be on TV in an era where people become instantly famous for doing anything, 2) they get to meet a host they (presumably) like and 3) they get to win stuff, a lot of which they may not have gotten otherwise. If you keep the somewhat-liked host, the being-on-TV part and the giving-away-stuff part, I think the format is more flexible than some people either realize or are willing to admit.

The Showcase to close the show would be changed from a moment of high drama to one where the bidders grope back and forth, in Double Bullseye fashion, until one person flukes into a win.

Remember, I like it when people more or less earn their haul by virtue of being good at something, or at least better than someone else at it. To that end, American Showcase accomplishes that more than Double Bullseye Showcase does.
You like that, but would the average viewer really care? The Aussie Showdown has drama, especially as they get within 10 dollars, and I think it would be more consistent. Far too often this season, one of the bidders obviously underbid or overbid on their Showcase, sucking out most of the drama.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218661\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 02:12 PM\']There is one single compelling argument for changing to the Australian Showcase system: budget. If they need to reduce the prize budget, an easy way to do it is to switch to a format that doesn't give away a Showcase away every day.

But since they're jacking up payouts on the Big Wheel and such, budgetary issues don't seem to be a problem, so I agree with your overall point.

(Besides, they made this bed when they decided that the first show of the season should be all car games and that Punchboard should have a two-kajillion dollar card on it and what-not.)[/quote]But wouldn't that sort of fit the new MO more? This season, the show's offered much more expensive prizes (designer goods, Apple computers, wine fridges that cost as much as some compact cars), but they've adjusted by making it more likely that contestants will lose not just the car games, but also the quick, one-decision games. This would be the same. They would get to advertise that they're offering $50,000, $60,000, $70,000 Showcases while knowing full well that it will happen only once every...um...well...how often did a contestant win the Showcase in the Aussie version, anyways? Regardless, they get to play like they're a primetime show with a daytime budget. If Pyramid comes back as a million-dollar show in daytime, I think there will be more pressure to raise the stakes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:57:25 PM by CarShark »

Win a Pile

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »
My first thought: One or more "classic" models will return.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 04:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'218672\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 04:22 PM\']And nobody remembers Cullen's version anyway.[/quote]

That's why it would seem fresh and new!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MitchJoseph2004

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
Drew just posted a couple pics... can't really tell much though.

http://img36.yfrog.com/i/sirfmf.jpg/

http://img37.yfrog.com/i/yzdo.jpg/

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
Wow, the Wet Paint game! I can hardly wait!

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Drew spends his free time shilling for the show by posting to the Internet, much less hanging in studio 33 snapping pictures of the Wet Paint game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218674\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 01:28 PM\']But wouldn't that sort of fit the new MO more? This season, the show's offered much more expensive prizes (designer goods, Apple computers, wine fridges that cost as much as some compact cars), but they've adjusted by making it more likely that contestants will lose not just the car games, but also the quick, one-decision games. This would be the same.[/quote]
Very possibly. I was just citing an argument against Travis's assertation of "fixing what isn't broken" that if they're giving away too much money, that might be "broken" and the Aussie Showcase would "fix" it. But my followup was suggesting that there are a bunch of other places they ought to cut first.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncleplinko

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'218680\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 05:08 PM\']Wow, the Wet Paint game! I can hardly wait!

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Drew spends his free time shilling for the show by posting to the Internet, much less hanging in studio 33 snapping pictures of the Wet Paint game.[/quote]

Looks as if they're putting the classic colors back on Contestant's Row, instead of the pastels.  That is an extreme closeup of the bottom of the Bidders Row displays between Red/Blue (obviously).

...and what are the DIRECTOR and HOST doing on set on a Sunday, anyway?
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
In the picture of DiPirro (who, BTW, looks 19 and sorta like the fat kid from Head of the Class), it looks like they're putting the MDS lights that were all around the edge of the stage back up for regular episodes. With that being said, my money's on the shiny black floor becoming permanent.

But, of course, that could mean the end of the two red daisy asterisks in front of Contestant's Row :(
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'218684\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 02:23 PM\']...and what are the DIRECTOR and HOST doing on set on a Sunday, anyway?[/quote]
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Drew spends his free time shilling for the show by posting to the Internet, much less hanging in studio 33 snapping pictures of the Wet Paint game.

Allstar87

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'218687\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 05:44 PM\']But, of course, that could mean the end of the two red daisy asterisks in front of Contestant's Row :([/quote]

They could always give the black floor asterisks of a different color...if it were me doing the set, I'd make them a nice shade of gold.

jmangin

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'218680\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 05:08 PM\']Wow, the Wet Paint game! I can hardly wait![/quote]
Maybe they're bringing back Gallery Game.

NickS

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'218697\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 06:25 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'218680\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 05:08 PM\']Wow, the Wet Paint game! I can hardly wait![/quote]
Maybe they're bringing back Gallery Game.
[/quote]

Now *that* is something to shudder about.