Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso  (Read 32261 times)

CarShark

An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'218560\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 02:20 PM\']<SNIPPED>[/quote]
I think I've just been Bamboozled. :)

That Don Guy

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
[quote name=\'JIANORAN\' post=\'218537\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 05:33 AM\']I Will Love To See A Double Showcase Jackpot to TPIR next season it will start at $10,000 and increases $1,000 if it's not won.[/quote]
The problem with that is, it makes it almost impossible to show reruns.  "Why did the jackpot suddenly go down?"
If they didn't have a problem with reruns, the Check Game checks wouldn't always say, "Today, 20-Now", and Drew would mention what month "Now" is in "Now...or Then".

As to what it could be, I think it's safe to rule out the return of the purple wheel.

I hope it's not the long-rumored "both showcase showdown winners alternate bids on the same showcase."

Here are some possibilities - some more credible than others:
    [*]They're changing the displays on Contestants Row and/or in the showcases to video screens like they use for the scores on Jeopardy!.
    [*]Punch-a-Bunch will be more like Plinko, where you don't risk anything to continue, although maybe there will be a "risk everything for one final punch worth double" sort of thing.
    [*]The Grand Game will start with a 2, like it does on prime time.
    [*]The one-dollar bonus for the wheel is $5000, but you have to risk it for the bonus spin, which is worth $50,000
    [*]Hole in One...or Two will now include a windmill.
    [/list]
    -- Don

tpirfan28

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
    If it isn't the return of Professor Price, I'm done watching the show forever.

(/s?)
    When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
    Time for a cool change?

Maybe Wilford Brimley will make personal appearances to give "contestants not appearing on stage" consolation gifts of diabetes supplies from Liberty Medical.  Gotta get those fee plugs in....
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:11:16 PM by Fedya »
    -- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
    « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »
    Please, it's diabeetus.

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
    [quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218532\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 05:18 AM\']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EieK9NE9C6o[/quote]
    Rapidly becoming my favorite Tonight Show Conan bit. :)

/It's kick app!
    //Don't spit on the twit
    -Joe Raygor

tvwxman

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 09:54:34 PM »
    [quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218604\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218532\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 05:18 AM\']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EieK9NE9C6o[/quote]
    Rapidly becoming my favorite Tonight Show Conan bit. :)

/It's kick app!
    //Don't spit on the twit
    [/quote]
    To me, the Letterman fan, it's the ONLY segment Conan has done that has been laugh out loud funny.
    -------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 10:09:12 PM »
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'218597\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 09:02 PM\']As to what it could be, I think it's safe to rule out the return of the purple wheel.[/quote]
    Exactly.  It will be neither unbelievable nor cool when it's revealed they "accidentally" painted the wheel neon orange with pink polka dots this time.

/Guesses the return of 3 Strikes
    //But to save time, the contestant is spotted 4 numbers and 2 strikes

CarShark

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'218597\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 09:02 PM\']I hope it's not the long-rumored "both showcase showdown winners alternate bids on the same showcase."[/quote]What would be wrong with that?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »
    Alternating showcase bids would be a nice throwback to the Bill Cullen version.  I like the retro-feel of it.
    Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
    « Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 03:03:37 AM »
    [quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218616\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 07:44 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'218597\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 09:02 PM\']I hope it's not the long-rumored "both showcase showdown winners alternate bids on the same showcase."[/quote]What would be wrong with that?[/quote]The fact that it's a lame kludge to fix what isn't broken leaps to my forebrain.
    Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 05:34:36 AM »
    Wouldn't the "alternating bid" format make the showcase round LONGER? The bidding could conceivably go a LONG time.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
    If they're not going to bring back any of the high-stakes Pricing Games like Golden Road or Triple Play next season, here's what I would suggest adding:

If a contestant wins both Showcases, he/she gets to spin the Big Wheel one more time for a chance to win $100,000. The rules for the $100K spin would work the same way as the post-Showcase Million Dollar Spin on the MDSs that were hosted by Bob Barker.

CarShark

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
    [quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'218635\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 03:03 AM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218616\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 07:44 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'218597\' date=\'Jun 20 2009, 09:02 PM\']I hope it's not the long-rumored "both showcase showdown winners alternate bids on the same showcase."[/quote]What would be wrong with that?[/quote]The fact that it's a lame kludge to fix what isn't broken leaps to my forebrain.
    [/quote]
    How is it a lame kludge? I've never heard that criticism before.

As for "fixing what isn't broken", I'm not swayed. I bet a bunch of people (like Dobkowitz) said the same thing about going hour-long. It's not a good enough reason to not do something that may work better.
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:05:21 PM by CarShark »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
    « Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
    [quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218651\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 08:54 AM\']How is it a lame kludge? I've never heard that criticism before.[/quote] A kludge is a workaround where you slap something together in an attempt to fix something, typically involving computer parts. My point is that the Showcase Round isn't broken in the first place. They've had two showcases, one bid each for thirty-seven years now.

It's not a good enough reason to not do something that may work better.
    Going to an hour after two years when what you're doing is adding more content to what became a popular show makes sense. Changing a recognizable portion of the show after 37 when they don't need to make the change ruins all sorts of iconic-ness and momentum. Do they "need" to keep things the same? Yeah, they do. Much of the appeal is that you're going to see the same stable of games and the planned rounds in the same order every time. The Showcase to close the show would be changed from a moment of high drama to one where the bidders grope back and forth, in Double Bullseye fashion, until one person flukes into a win.

Remember, I like it when people more or less earn their haul by virtue of being good at something, or at least better than someone else at it. To that end, American Showcase accomplishes that more than Double Bullseye Showcase does.
    Travis L. Eberle