Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show (and OT) FACT or FICTION 3  (Read 10217 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Game Show (and OT) FACT or FICTION 3
« on: June 19, 2003, 10:50:36 PM »
Good evening everyone!

It is another great day for me, and hopefully you too! It is time again for another edition of Game Show FACT or FICTION, the first at our new board and the third overall. I have some things that are on my mind, so I wanted the opinions of all of you. Enough chatter, let's get started.

FACT or FICTION

(1) Bob Barker will go ahead and host The Price is Right until the contract expires.

(2) Another Game Show Week will take place on Hollywood Squares' final season. (I do not know if it has been confirmed, thus my reason for posting it here.)

(3) With the success of Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal, GSN will produce more documentaries within the next year and a half.

(4) If Allen Ludden were alive, he would have been tapped to host Super Password instead of Bert Convy.

(5) Jim Perry is still with us.

(6) Drew Carey was the right choice to host Pepsi's Play for a Billion.

(7) (I hope this is true) Should Rod Roddy be unable to continue his anouncing duties on TPiR, Randy West will be chosen as the permanent replacement.

(8) Another format alteration will be made on Wheel of Fortune this fall.

(9) Within the next decade, Password will return in some form.

Finally, Off Topic FACT or FICTION:

(10) From Justin to Kelly will be the biggest movie bomb on this side of The Real Cancun.

Have at it my friends, and enjoy!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 11:31:35 PM »
(1) Barker will honor his contract: FACT.  We all know Bob's staying as long as the fire's still there.  And AFAIK, the smoke detectors at Beverly and Fairfax are still working overtime.

(2) Game Show WeekČ: FICTION.  Just how do you follow up Eubanks, Woolery, Martindale, CNR, Somers, Marshall, Merrill et al?

(3) More documentaries: FACT.  There's no question there will be another, but again, how do you follow up Michael Larson?  My suggestion: Big Winners: Where Are They Now?

(4) SP with Ludden:  FACT. In those days, NBC sticked with what worked.  SP predated the whole Gene Rayburn age issue.

(5) Jim Perry: alive:  FACT. And he's living in my basement.  OK, not the latter (my uncle's name is Jim, but his last name is not Perry).  When last heard from, Perry is happily retired and living on a ranch is the Pacific Northwest.

(6) Pepsi Rocks!  FICTION. They didn't choose me!

(7) Randy W, the next Johnny O: Very tough call.  It's up to CBS, but I will hedge toward FACT.

(8) Wheel of Formats: FACT.  WoF has lasted this long because they stay fresh.

(9) Password '00s?: FICTION.  Given how many people watch Friends and so few watch most anything else, half the passwords will have to be forbidden parts of the human anatomy to hold any viewer interest at all.

(10) Inauspicious movie debut: FACT.  Since we are only a couple months removed from Cancun, that's not saying much.  The scary thing is, the reviews for The Hulk I've been hearing are not much better!  I'm holding out for Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle next week and Scooby Doo: Monsters Unlimited next year.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 11:32:40 PM by GS Warehouse »

edholland83

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 12:01:55 AM »
(1) Bob Barker will go ahead and host The Price is Right until the contract expires.

Fact. Unless Bob has a situation like Johnny O. had, I don't think that either he or CBS will opt out of their ends of the contract.

(2) Another Game Show Week will take place on Hollywood Squares' final season.

Fact. I thought I had heard that this was a go for next season, but of course I heard it from other message boards.

3) With the success of Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal, GSN will produce more documentaries within the next year and a half.

Fact. My only worry is that they don't start turning their's into E! THS type documentary

(4) If Allen Ludden were alive, he would have been tapped to host Super Password instead of Bert Convy.

Fiction. I think that if Allen Ludden had not died Password Plus may have been the final incarnation.

Fact. according to IMDB he's still alive

(7) (I hope this is true) Should Rod Roddy be unable to continue his announcing duties on TPiR, Randy West will be chosen as the permanent replacement.

After last week's performance i'd say Fact. But it's up to the higher ups and Bob if he would get the job, but I thought Burton is the heir apparent.

Fiction. They really don't need to, they're at the top of the syndie ratings, normally format alteration and changes would be a sign of trouble. TPIR and J! haven't changed their's. in 20+ years only price values have.

I'd really hope it would happen but with people of today not feeling that it would work. also Fremantle's been trying to put TTTT and MG back on after their 1 (or 1+ in TTTT' case) season runs and seemingly have forgotten about it. Fiction.

(10) From Justin to Kelly will be the biggest movie bomb on this side of The Real Cancun.

Fact and Fiction

Fact: Plot and review wise it probably will be

Fiction: a lot of people thought the Lizzie McGuire movie would do bad, but it was in the top 5 for almost a month so financial-wise probably not, people would probably want to see it for the sake of curiousity

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 12:05:45 AM »
(9) Password '00s?: FICTION. Given how many people watch Friends and so few watch most anything else, half the passwords will have to be forbidden parts of the human anatomy to hold any viewer interest at all.

I like how people seem to think Password couldn't be done today. How about Pyramid? Lingo? Bet nobody could pull those off either...

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 12:48:49 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 08:50 PM\'] Good evening everyone!

It is another great day for me, and hopefully you too! It is time again for another edition of Game Show FACT or FICTION, the first at our new board and the third overall. I have some things that are on my mind, so I wanted the opinions of all of you. Enough chatter, let's get started.

FACT or FICTION

(2) Another Game Show Week will take place on Hollywood Squares' final season. (I do not know if it has been confirmed, thus my reason for posting it here.)

(3) With the success of Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal, GSN will produce more documentaries within the next year and a half.

(7) (I hope this is true) Should Rod Roddy be unable to continue his anouncing duties on TPiR, Randy West will be chosen as the permanent replacement.

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
FACT or FICTION

FACT. I think the audience ADORES Bob,  -- he's such a "sweetheart!" I think Bob is VERY loyal to his contract and will likely continue to host TPIR until he no longer is
PHYSICALLY able!

He's got MY vote!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:04:15 AM by MyCapableAssistant »

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 01:01:53 AM »
OK, here's my take on two of these:

(7) Should Rod Roddy be unable to continue his anouncing duties on TPiR, Randy West will be chosen as the permanent replacement.

Yes, if the above is the case, I think Randy would be a terrific choice. Of course, knowing Fremangle.....

This year, it'll probably be the biggest bomb. All-time, though? Probably not. My pick for worst movie bomb of all time? \"Santa With Muscles\" (or any Hulk Hogan movie for that matter.) Whether it's \"Suburban Commando\", \"No Holds Barred\" or any other movie Hogan has starred in over the years, they've all tanked at the box office. You haven't lived until you've seen what a HORRIBLE actor Hogan is on the big screen.

Betcha some suckers will go see \"FJTK\" just because of the American Idol thing, though.

Jim

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 01:09:46 AM »

Um, yeah -- unless he dies.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 01:36:10 AM »
FACT: He'll host it until HE expires!
FICTION: I didn't see that big a hike in ratings. Been there, done that. Tho it was great and I'd like to see it again.
FACT. But fewer and fewer as time goes on.
FACT
FICTION. Was he ever with us?
FICTION. Maybe 2 years ago.
FICTION. But he could replace Burton Richardson.
FACT. They always tweak.
FICTION, dammit.
BUZZ

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 01:40:14 AM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

whampyl03

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 02:03:26 AM »
OH BOY! MY FIRST FACT OR FICTION!

1. Fact- Barker is TPIR, and TPIR is Barker. No question he's going to host until TPIR is canned (heaven forbid) or he passes away (heaven forbid, as well)

2. Unfortunately, Fiction- Not much of a ratings pull. Those 5 eps were good.

3. Fact- Prepare for GSN to become GSDN

4. Fact- He IS Password. If he were still alive, and he wasn't chosen for the job of Super Password, something at Goodson HQ must have gone horribly wrong.

5. Fact- He lives on a farm in Oregon with his former X-wife.

6. Fiction- I just can't see Drew Carey hosting a game show in my head, it's impossible.

7. Fiction- I MUCH prefer Randy West over Burton Richardson in about everything in life in general, however I think Burton has the job, unfortunately.

8. Fact- No contest there

9. Fact- But it will be very Fremantleised and screwed up, and be canned within 3 weeks.

10. Never seen either of the movies (and probably with good reason) so I'll just say fact
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 02:06:03 AM by whampyl03 »

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 02:13:08 AM »

FACT.

FACT.

FACT (at least I hope it is).

FACT.  I still think Password Plus was the best version of the series based primarily on Allen's influence.

Undisputed FACT.  In fact, IIRC, his wife, June, posted to the Daily Ping (a popular general blog site) after one of the operators wrote a Card Sharks article.  Apparently, Jim and June are now living in Florida.

FICTION.  Drew was great on Whose Line is it Anyway?, but frankly, I think a REAL game show host should have been given the opportunity to make that kind of payoff (which they'll never make).

FACT.  Much as I like Burton Richardson, I think that Bob, Roger D and Phil R.  will pick Our Man West to take the announcer's slot.

FICTION.

FACT.    Someone has to get the message...hopefully, they'll use my revival format (and MAYBE let me host it?).

FACT  This already looks like grade-A, number one, USDA Choice CRAP.  I still can't believe these two nincompoops actually agreed to this slop.

\"Game Show Man\" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 02:49:29 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 07:50 PM\'] (1) Bob Barker will go ahead and host The Price is Right until the contract expires.
 [/quote]
 Well, of course.

I don't imagine we'll know when the final season is until they announce it's not being renewed.

Probably. A Thom McKee show wouldn't need to be more than an hour, but could be interesting...

Assuming he was coherent enough to do a good job, it would be no less than an insult to give the job to anyone else.

Unless there was a folding couch incident I didn't hear about...

Insofar as this ridulous show shouldn't even be on the air, Carey is as good a choice as anyone.

I won't speculate for two reasons: 1) I have no idea, and 2) I wouldn't dream of jinxing Randy.

Who cares?

Nope. Too slow a game. Unless GSN tries it, and they don't seem to be too hot on the idea of resurrecting good games, when they can dump crap on people's heads, keep them awake, drop them through holes, or screw them out of money.

Woof. I've seen smaller dogs in the Swiss Alps.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 02:52:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 11:13 PM\'] FACT  This already looks like grade-A, number one, USDA Choice CRAP.  I still can't believe these two nincompoops actually agreed to this slop. [/quote]
 Oh, believe it, my friend. The second that Ruben Whatshisnutz won the second series, both of the 15-minute clocks on those two idiots went screaming right past 14:45 and right into the homestretch. Particularly Guarini, who is only avoiding asking people if they Would Like Fries With That because Clarkson is too nice to tell him to FOAD and take losing like a man.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dmota104

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 06:48:04 AM »
(1) FACT.  Hosting's still the highlight of his day.  

(2) Mmm... unless they get Peter Marshall in the center square again, I'd say fiction.

(3) FACT!  Love to see A&E Biography-like profiles of Tom Kennedy, Bill Cullen and Bert Convy.  Which leads us to...

(4) 300% FACT!  Folks like Tom, Bill and Bert did great in hosting \"Password\" (and IIRC, Betty White and Monty Hall have guest-hosted the ABC version).  But, when you think \"Password\", you think of Allen.

(5) FACT.  There was a thread a couple of years ago on The Daily Ping noting CS was one of the webmasters favorite shows.  June Perry (\"Mrs. Jim\") dropped by for a few posts.

(6) No comment.  The way I've read it, it's too reliant on luck -- much like a lottery game show.  No matter what, PfaB is going to be a one-shot deal (unless they're daring to put *another* billion at stake).

(7) Again, no comment.  Let's hope Rod's well.  I'll agree with anyone Randy's doing great in his substitute stint.

(8) FACT.  Can't predict what, though.  

(9) Pyramid's successful return to the air provides some hope this will become FACT.  While I hope \"the phoenix shall rise again\" (direct quote from Betty in the SP finale), \"Password\" seems low on the list of FreMantle's priorities.

(10) All I'l say is this... \"Dreadful\"

cyberjoek

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 07:43:00 AM »
FACT Mr. Barker will be there most likely through another contract as well.
(2) Another Game Show Week will take place on Hollywood Squares' final season.
FICTION as much as we love them the closest we might get would be a clasic HS stars week...
FACT this is a no brainer for GSN, if they don't they should change their name to Sony Play Station (rimshot)
FICTION as much as I think he would have been a great host, I don't think NBC would have seen it that way...
FACT
FACT for now, gotta give the host the benifit of the doubt...
(7) Should Rod Roddy be unable to continue his anouncing duties on TPiR, Randy West will be chosen as the permanent replacement.
FACT for now, if they were sure in their choice of Burton why would they even give Randy a shot?
FACT it happens every year, something will change...
FACT heck I'll say it'll happen with in 3 years, with the baby boomers who grew up with it aging might as well go retro to try and catch the market.
FICTION it'll have a good first weekend because of its American Idol tie in, enough to not be a total bomb.

And that's the way I see it...
-Joe Kavanagh

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 04:25:59 PM »
1) Fact, 'nuff said. He'll be 100 years old and still hosting.

2) Shaky FACT, although from what I've heard John Davidson might be our retro host the next time....I can't help but think Jm J. and Joan will be back if he does do it again....

3) FACT. Let's see our Cullen documentary already!

4) Likely fiction. To be honest, I think he would have looked a little out of place w/ the modern SP set.

5) FACT

6) FICTION. I would have picked Geoff personally, but that's just me....

7) FACT!!!!

8) I got a feeling that's a FACT.

9) No idea. We were supposed to get a new MG this year, and that didn't happen. Looks like Freemangle is gonna focus on Feud and AI (see below)

10) FACT FACT FACT!!!