Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Passing TPIR announcing torch  (Read 15268 times)

Skynet74

Passing TPIR announcing torch
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2003, 01:52:27 AM »
It's only natural to speculate so here is my list in no particular order. I say give them all a shot and see how they do.

Burton Richardson
Randy West
Bob Hilton
Charlie O'Donell
Gene Wood  
Johnny Gilbert

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2003, 02:00:33 AM »
Burton Richardson is the only person I know of who can turn the word "and" into a three-syllable word.

With utmost respect to the memory of Rod Roddy, his passing wasn't exactly unexpected and his permanent replacement is an issue Barker, Fremantle, etc. are confronting as we speak (if the decision hasn't already been made). Therefore I do not consider it inappropriate to speculate on his replacement, though the options are limited to Burton and Randy. I happen to think Burton is very good but Randy is more in tune with the TPIR style.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 02:01:28 AM by chris319 »

Skynet74

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2003, 03:03:25 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 02:00 AM\'] the options are limited to Burton and Randy. I happen to think Burton is very good but Randy is more in tune with the TPIR style. [/quote]

I don't think there is any reason for the show to limit their options. Yes they have found two people who do an admirable job. Doesn't mean that there arn't others out there who could be better. I just read that Rod wasn't even among the first choices to replace Johnny. Rod basicly got the job because everyone else was to busy. So let's look at this as a moment of opportunity to audition a few new people and see what happens. We already see that Fremantle isn't rushing to find permenant Models. So do we really need to rush to find a permanent announcer? Let's take a couple months and see who people like best.

Do I actually think any of this will happen though??? My answer is NO. Even though I feel the show should audition a little more just to make sure they make the right choice, the simple fact that they haven't done that so far tells me one thing. They definately want either Randy or Burton. They have had many months to try out new talent, but they've basicly only tried three. Obviously Paul is out of the race. Looks like Randy is going to get it. I wish him Good Luck and for his sake I hope that he does. But I still wish I could hear a few more voices in the mix before a final decision is made.

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 03:04:21 AM by Skynet74 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2003, 03:27:55 AM »
Whom are you going to audition who already has honed warmup skills and game show announcing experience, AND who is right for TPIR? Gene Wood, Rich Jeffries, Bob Hilton, John Harlan, etc. don't do game shows any more. Johnny Gilbert and Charlie O'Donnell are up in years. The field has narrowed considerably. So who's available?

LA the DJ

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2003, 04:10:38 AM »
My two cents on the current candidates:

As for Burton, I thought he was good on PiR94, BUT I'm not sure he fits in on daytime Price. He has that booming voice, which is a plus, but, on the other hand he borders on stereotypical generic game show announcer voice, which could work for or against him.

Randy, on the other hand, is almost completely the opposite. Randy has the more friendly sounding voice (thus, more Rod-like), but at times can come off seeming a little bland, not that he's not enthusiastic, but he lacks that 'boom' that Burton brings to the table.

Fact is, I'm split, and it'll take a little getting used to either, I'm sure. Don't take my critiquing the wrong way, I feel both do a good job on the show, and either would make a good replacement. I used to do voiceovers and a live radio show, and even THAT isn't as easy as it seems, let alone what is probably the most coveted voice job around.

On a side note, good luck to you Randy, as I'm sure stepping to that podium Nov. 9 on a show to celebrate Bob's birthday, when your longtime friend is gone, will be somewhat difficult, but I'm sure all of us here support you to get through what I'm sure will be a difficult day.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Skynet74

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2003, 04:13:10 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 03:27 AM\'] Whom are you going to audition who already has honed warmup skills and game show announcing experience, AND who is right for TPIR? Gene Wood, Rich Jeffries, Bob Hilton, John Harlan, etc. don't do game shows any more. Johnny Gilbert and Charlie O'Donnell are up in years. The field has narrowed considerably. So who's available? [/quote]

Well everyone had to start somewhere. So why does the ultimate choice have to even be someone who has done game shows before? Rod's first Game Show was "Whew!" and in my opinion it was some of his best work ever! So don't think the final decision needs to be a quote "Game Show Guy". There are plenty of other announcers out there who could be awsome for the job. Let Fremantle sort through some tapes and see if anyone stands out. Like it or not, they are about to be bombarded with tapes from around the country from people looking to get Rod's job.

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 04:16:00 AM by Skynet74 »

davemackey

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2003, 07:08:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 11:03 PM\'] personally unless John harvey (who knows a little about the on screen side of announcing as well as the off screen, could make a good pairing but i dont think hes intrested at all in crossing the coast) crawls out of the woodwork i would want anyone other than randy, all respect to Burton but I think he gets too excited over small prizes and isnt as conisistant as randy is, and I agree i think randy is a throwback to the Johnny O days. He would be my 1st pick, burton 2nd amoung the ppl tpir seem to have considered [/quote]
 John Harvey is busy these days being Supervising Producer of "Trading Spaces", so he's not a candidate. So happens I had a chat yesterday with a guy from Banyan Productions and the subject of Harvey came up, and we agreed that he's doing a great job in his new position - a promotion from location scout last season.

cmjb13

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2003, 07:24:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 04:13 AM\'] Like it or not, they are about to be bombarded with tapes from around the country from people looking to get Rod's job. [/quote]
 This is very possible as they hardly got any tapes before, probably because people didn't realize how ill rod was.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2003, 07:55:49 AM »
Has anyone thought of auditioning Todd Newton?  He's got a great voice (good enough for drive-time radio in New YorK City) and seems to be a real crowd pleaser in live situations.  Maybe try him out for the show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2003, 12:09:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 02:13 AM\'] There are plenty of other announcers out there who could be awsome for the job. Let Fremantle sort through some tapes and see if anyone stands out. Like it or not, they are about to be bombarded with tapes from around the country from people looking to get Rod's job. [/quote]
 Are you sending one, John?

(I wouldn't blame you if you did. But you seem awfully defensive of the concept of an open cattle call.)

As for Newton, I can't help but think he's being groomed for something bigger than the announcing gig. (Not that the announcing gig isn't significant...hell, I'd take it :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HSquares2003

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2003, 12:38:06 PM »
Randy or Burton are my picks, but Randy just slightly moreso over Burton. Burton has been doing a helluva lot better on the "BOB BARKER" call lately IMHO.

I didn't read this thread word for word as it was pretty lengthy, but what about Gary Kroger? I didn't see his name anywhere in here, he deserves at least a 1 show tryout to see what he has just for the helluva of it anyhow.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2003, 01:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 12:38 PM\'] I didn't read this thread word for word as it was pretty lengthy, but what about Gary Kroger? I didn't see his name anywhere in here, he deserves at least a 1 show tryout to see what he has just for the helluva of it anyhow. [/quote]
 There's another possibilty considering Whammy! and Beat the Clock are both out of production and in limbo.  But per Brad Francini's site, he's a restaurant owner by day.  Is he still?

Skynet74

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2003, 02:04:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 12:09 PM\']
Are you sending one, John?

(I wouldn't blame you if you did. But you seem awfully defensive of the concept of an open cattle call.)
 [/quote]

No I'm not sending one. I don't think I would be the right person for Price. I could do a typical game show where it's basicly the opening, a couple prizes and some fee plugs. Something along the lines of Family Feud or Jeopardy would be good for me, but I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to do a show like Price. It takes a certain kind of talent for that show and I admit that I'm not that person.

John

dwp49423

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2003, 02:53:39 PM »
Randy West or Burton Richardson would both be good.  

I'm learning towards Burton mainly as I've seen more episodes of Burton announcing due to a crazy work schedule that happens to coincide with airings of Burton episodes.

However, would Burton be able to permanently take Johnny and Rod's podium and also continue announcng Family Feud?

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2003, 05:47:32 PM »
However, would Burton be able to permanently take Johnny and Rod's podium and also continue announcing Family Feud?

No reason why not. Johnny Olson announced on The Price Is Right and Match Game simultaneously for many years without trouble. Gene Wood had about four or five VO jobs going at once for quite a while as I recall.