Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Passing TPIR announcing torch  (Read 15133 times)

WorldClassRob

Passing TPIR announcing torch
« on: October 29, 2003, 08:46:52 PM »
Since the internet was not really available to me at the time, I wanted to share with you a thought.

After Johnny Olson passed on in 1985, there was an array of announcers who auditioned to replace him -- and some good ones too.

Jay Stewart would have been a good choice... Charlie O'Donnell would have been excellent as TPIR announcer (he was in his final year as the voice of B&E game shows at the time Johnny died)... and others like Bob Hilton, Rod Roddy, Charlie Tuna, and Dean Goss were qualified to step into Johnny's shoes.

I actually chose Charlie O. over the bunch back then.

Today you have guys like Burton Richardson, Randy West, and maybe John Cramer who are good to take over the announcing chores of Price.  Since Charlie O. is on WoF and in the twilight of a long and legendary announcing tenure, I am going to choose Randy West to be the next voice of TPIR.

I hope he gets the job.

:)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 08:47:41 PM by WorldClassRob »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 08:49:24 PM »
It'll either be Burton or Randy, that's almost certain. I wonder if the guy from the Vegas show will get a shot? Maybe he's good too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 08:49:51 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 08:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:46 PM\'] and others like Bob Hilton, Rod Roddy, Charlie Tuna, and Dean Goss were qualified to step into Johnny's shoes.

[/quote]
 People magazine did say that Tuna would be doing fill-ins at the time, but Tuna had conflicts with his Scrabble tapings. Hilton, Roddy, Wood, and Rich Jeffreys auditioned on air (I don't think Dean Goss auditioned, as he was in his All New LMAD stint at the time, and Goss did not audition on-air for TPIR)

If Randy does not get the gig, Bob Hilton would be my second choice as Rod's successor.

GSWitch

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 08:54:23 PM »
Jay Stewart was doing Sale of the Century @ the time.  Charlie Tuna handled Scrabble & Dean Goss wasn't doing any announcing until 1987 on both I'm Telling & High Rollers (Martindale).

Gene Wood also did TPIR for a week on both Barker & Kennedy versions.

My vote goes to Burton Richardson who's famous for ARSENIOOOOO HALL!  In game shows, he did To Tell The Truth (NBC & 2000 syndicated version), Family Feud, Rodeo Drive, Shopping Spree & The (Doug Davidson) Price Is Right.

On his NBC stint of To Tell The Truth, there's a little history.  Him & Lynn Swann (1990-91) became the first black host-announcer team!

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 08:55:48 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:54 PM\'] Dean Goss wasn't doing any announcing until 1987 on both I'm Telling & High Rollers (Martindale).

Gene Wood also did TPIR for a week on both Barker & Kennedy versions.

My vote goes to Burton Richardson who's famous for ARSENIOOOOO HALL!  In game shows, he did To Tell The Truth (NBC & 2000 syndicated version), Family Feud, Rodeo Drive, Shopping Spree & The (Doug Davidson) Price Is Right.

On his NBC stint of To Tell The Truth, there's a little history.  Him & Lynn Swann (1990-91) became the first black host-announcer team! [/quote]
 Dean Goss was in his All New LMAD stint at the time of Olson's death.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 08:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:49 PM\'] It'll either be Burton or Randy, that's almost certain. [/quote]
 Well, if they continue to not receive tapes/CD's from announcers, yes
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »
I think John Harlan would be good too. He's been out of the national light way too long for such a good announcer.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 09:11:54 PM »
One recent memorial (I think it was on Randy's site) said Rod wasn't considered at first for the TPiR vacancy.  His name came up when none of the on-air auditions panned out.  It's possible CBS and/or Fremantle could choose someone fresh, but I agree that Burton has the inside track.  Lest we forget, Burton has experience in calling people to "come on down".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 09:12:20 PM by GS Warehouse »

inturnaround

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 09:27:52 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 09:11 PM\'] One recent memorial (I think it was on Randy's site) said Rod wasn't considered at first for the TPiR vacancy.  His name came up when none of the on-air auditions panned out.  It's possible CBS and/or Fremantle could choose someone fresh, but I agree that Burton has the inside track.  Lest we forget, Burton has experience in calling people to "come on down". [/quote]
 Yeah, but who did they go with most recently to be the prime time voice of the upcoming TPiR specials?

I don't think you can tell who they're leaning towards by who has said "Come on down!" more often or first. I'm sure the subject of succession has been contemplated, but it's not a decision that needs to be made immediately.

So, I guess the thrust of this post is, "Who knows?"

But if you asked me, I, of course would pick TV's Randy West.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 09:35:59 PM »
I know it's under such sad circumstances that we even have to discuss this, and I hate to even think about it.  

However... my vote is for Randy West.  Great set of pipes... and like I've said before, you can hear inflections in his voice that remind you of the great Johnny Olsen (or maybe that's just me).

My question... and this is totally off topic... how does one get a start doing announcing for TV shows??  I've been in radio for a few years now, and everyone tells me I have a great voice.  I would love to be able to announce on game shows someday.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 09:36:41 PM by bossjock967 »
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 10:00:28 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:35 PM\']... my vote is for Randy West...   [/quote]
A fine choice, I agree. Randy would make both Johnny O AND Rod
proud. Go gett'em Mr. West!

Jumpondees

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 10:19:38 PM »
Although I personally am pulling for Randy ... I don't believe that the producers are not going to name a successor this season.  

I think we'll hear more Randy and Burton for the rest of this season, but I don't think we'll have a successor until the next season premiere in September '04.

I have a few more things I could add on this topic, but out of respect for all the principals involved, as well as Rod, I feel I shouldn't be continuing this conversation past what I've already said at least for a couple of weeks.

davemackey

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 10:31:19 PM »
Speculation on this issue is premature at best and disrespectful to Rod's memory and service to the show at worst.

"Price" is not even scheduled to tape again until November 6 (the next show to tape will be the Barker 80th Birthday show; regular Daytime Price goes back online on November 10), and I'm sure by then the show will have made its decision.

inturnaround

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 10:41:59 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 10:31 PM\'] Speculation on this issue is premature at best and disrespectful to Rod's memory and service to the show at worst.
 [/quote]
 I couldn't disagree more. It is not disrespectful to his memory at all. It's natural and it's proper to wonder who will succeed Rod.

It was premature when he was ill. Now that he has sadly passed, the issue has come to the fore and it is proper to be discussed.

When John Ritter died last month, speculation immediately began and "Now what?" was the question of the day. I don't think it was improper then and I don't think it is now.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Starkman

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 11:03:31 PM »
personally unless John harvey (who knows a little about the on screen side of announcing as well as the off screen, could make a good pairing but i dont think hes intrested at all in crossing the coast) crawls out of the woodwork i would want anyone other than randy, all respect to Burton but I think he gets too excited over small prizes and isnt as conisistant as randy is, and I agree i think randy is a throwback to the Johnny O days. He would be my 1st pick, burton 2nd amoung the ppl tpir seem to have considered