Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Passing TPIR announcing torch  (Read 15195 times)

Skynet74

Passing TPIR announcing torch
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2003, 06:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 05:47 PM\']
However, would Burton be able to permanently take Johnny and Rod's podium and also continue announcing Family Feud?

[/quote]

I'm sure that Burton would more than welcome the work. He's a great sounding guy who does an awsome job on Price. You would almost have to be crazy to turn down such a good job. Burton isn't the strongest there is on warm ups.... but it's always been my theory that A good Warm Up guy is very distant in importance anyway. If you've got 300 people in a room who are already very excited to be there in the first place..... do you really need to put on a show for them before the actual show? It's what get taped that really matters. People don't rush to the show from all over the country to see the warm up guy. So I feel that having a great warm up person really isn't necessary. Just get someone who sounds good on the air. Just my opinion.

John

ChuckNet

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 06:17:52 PM »
Gene Wood also did TPIR for a week on both Barker & Kennedy versions.

Gene did Kennedy's version longer than a wk, IIRC...wasn't he the interim announcer for 2 mos or so until Rod took over permanently?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2003, 06:19:27 PM »
Well everyone had to start somewhere. So why does the ultimate choice have to even be someone who has done game shows before?
TPIR is not the show for someone who is starting out or who has no game show experience. Doesn't matter what we all think; if you asked Barker you'd probably get a response along those lines and his is the opinion that counts. Randy and Burton have done enough air shows by now that they are both known quantities -- why hold a cattle call for people who are relatively unknown quantities on the unlikely chance you might  (or might not) find someone better?

TimK2003

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2003, 07:31:50 PM »
It's only natural to speculate so here is my list in no particular order. I say give them all a shot and see how they do.

Bob Hilton

Last I heard, he was doing an on-camera gig in San Francisco.  Considering TPIR is shot over 4 day/wk stretch, commuting is out of the question.

Charlie O'Donell
Johnny Gilbert

I think both are happy in their respective "this will be my last gig before I retire" positions.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Charlie O's last game show announcing gig outside of wheel was Monopoly in 1990?  I couldn't even tell you what Johnny's last game show gig outside of Jeopardy! was.

As far as Gene Wood is concerned, I though I had heard that he is retired and living on the East Coast.  

It's kind of a shame that the stable of game show announcers has never been kept up to even an early/mid 1980s par.  Sort of the blame has to be placed on the more recent shows that don't/didn't rely on bona-fide announcers.

Pretty much the only ones left in the stables with a willingness to do future game show gigs are Randy West, Burton Richardson, and John Cramer.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2003, 07:33:52 PM »
Didn't Bob Hilton die in 1992 because of a complication with cancer?

zachhoran

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2003, 07:40:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 07:33 PM\'] Didn't Bob Hilton die in 1992 because of a complication with cancer? [/quote]
 Hilton is still alive and well.

zachhoran

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2003, 07:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 07:31 PM\']

I think both are happy in their respective "this will be my last gig before I retire" positions.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Charlie O's last game show announcing gig outside of wheel was Monopoly in 1990?  I couldn't even tell you what Johnny's last game show gig outside of Jeopardy! was.

[/quote]
 Charlie O'Donnell did Let's Go Back on Nostalgia Television in 1991-92, and Johnny did the Lifetime run of Supermarket Sweep from 1990-94 and the 2000-01 season of the PAX revival, Randy West has announced the last two seasons of Sweep(show is currently on hiatus)

Skynet74

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2003, 07:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 07:33 PM\'] Didn't Bob Hilton die in 1992 because of a complication with cancer? [/quote]

He didn't die unless his Garlic And Ginger-Crusted Salmon killed him.  :-)

http://www.kovr13.com/deweyrecipes/dr072299.htm

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 07:46:20 PM by Skynet74 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2003, 05:02:48 AM »
Take a look at the listing of the KOVR News Team. Do you see Bob Hilton's name there? Doesn't mean he's dead, it just calls into question whether he is still with KOVR.

Fedya

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2003, 09:21:23 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 05:02 AM\'] Take a look at the listing of the KOVR News Team. Do you see Bob Hilton's name there? Doesn't mean he's dead, it just calls into question whether he is still with KOVR. [/quote]
 Bob wrote a book on parenting about a year ago.  I remember posting an article about the book to the previous incarnation of this board, but the thread went nowhere, and I can't find the article any more.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

uncamark

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2003, 04:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 05:47 PM\']
However, would Burton be able to permanently take Johnny and Rod's podium and also continue announcing Family Feud?

No reason why not. Johnny Olson announced on The Price Is Right and Match Game simultaneously for many years without trouble. Gene Wood had about four or five VO jobs going at once for quite a while as I recall.[/quote]
And "Feud" tapes on the weekends for only a few months a year, which would leave Burton time to work Mondays through Thursdays at Studio 33.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2003, 06:07:34 PM »
And "Feud" tapes on the weekends for only a few months a year, which would leave Burton time to work Mondays through Thursdays at Studio 33.

That's because Feud currently tapes at the KTLA/Tribune lot. I'm sure he'll handle the commute; if not, give the announcing duties to Randy.

Jonathan Allen

Skynet74

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2003, 06:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 06:07 PM\'] That's because Feud currently tapes at the KTLA/Tribune lot. I'm sure he'll handle the commute; if not, give the announcing duties to Randy.

Jonathan Allen [/quote]

Yeah.... I just went to Mapquest and measured the distance between the two studios. Geeez I didn't realize.........but it could be a bit of a hardship on poor Burton. Hopefully he'll be able to figure something out.

Total Distance: 3.98 miles
Total Estimated Time: 11 minutes

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2003, 10:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 04:31 PM\'] Total Distance: 3.98 miles
Total Estimated Time: 11 minutes
 [/quote]
 Yeah, but in LA rush, that could take HOURS!!

(We've had windstorms up here in Seattle. Day before yesterday, a single (but fairly critical) stoplight wasn't working as normal, it was flashing red instead. As a result, my nine-mile, usually 25-minute ride home from work took SEVENTY-FIVE minutes.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jamey Greek

Re: Passing TPIR announcing torch
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:54 PM\'] Dean Goss wasn't doing any announcing until 1987 on both I'm Telling & High Rollers (Martindale).

Gene Wood also did TPIR for a week on both Barker & Kennedy versions.

My vote goes to Burton Richardson who's famous for ARSENIOOOOO HALL!  In game shows, he did To Tell The Truth (NBC & 2000 syndicated version), Family Feud, Rodeo Drive, Shopping Spree & The (Doug Davidson) Price Is Right.

On his NBC stint of To Tell The Truth, there's a little history.  Him & Lynn Swann (1990-91) became the first black host-announcer team!
Dean Goss was in his All New LMAD stint at the time of Olson's death.
[/quote]

Believe it or not, Mark Goodson actually asked Dean to succeed Johnny but he declined because Monty was grooming him for host of LMAD.