Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blog post about logo design...  (Read 4160 times)

bwood

Blog post about logo design...
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »
Hey all,
I stumbled across this tonight while looking for something. It was posted back on May 20th, but it's kind of an interesting read and I thought I'd post it. It's from designer Michael Brown. Apparently, he was the one who "redesigned" the logo for TPiR when Drew took over. I guess some of his submissions that didn't make the cut ended up as designs on the set in places. It also appears he has done work for WoF.

Price is Right Logo Design Facelift

Portfolio of work (I'm digging the 3rd Giant Price Tag)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:10:58 AM by bwood »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:14:55 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217463\' date=\'Jun 7 2009, 10:10 PM\']Portfolio of work (I'm digging the 3rd Giant Price Tag)[/quote]
Concur wholly. I SO wish that design would have made it onto the show. Something about that asterisk always screamed Price to me. (It might be because I watched the show back in the day when said asterisk denoted the winning One-Bid.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »
I like the second Price tag better, and I'm now wondering how the first beat out the other two. That asterisk/daisy is a Price trademark, not the hypercycloid.

Either ways, the man is great at what he does.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

bwood

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'217466\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 01:33 AM\']I like the second Price tag better, and I'm now wondering how the first beat out the other two. That asterisk/daisy is a Price trademark, not the hypercycloid.

Either ways, the man is great at what he does.[/quote]

Oh yeah #2 and #3 are far more superior than #1. Also, if you want to see what the 'shopped pic of Drew holding the trophy on the blog page looked like before it was edited, click on "Doctored Pics" on the Portfolio Page and hover over it.

I will agree that this man has some talent indeed.

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
LOVE the second tag...the third, while the Goodson mark is the highlight, just doesn't look that good to me.

Should have changed the tag to that one when season 37 started and they ditched the hypocycloids.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

NickS

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217464\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 12:14 AM\'][quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217463\' date=\'Jun 7 2009, 10:10 PM\']Portfolio of work (I'm digging the 3rd Giant Price Tag)[/quote]
Concur wholly. I SO wish that design would have made it onto the show. Something about that asterisk always screamed Price to me. (It might be because I watched the show back in the day when said asterisk denoted the winning One-Bid.)
[/quote]

Agreed on the asterisk... but I'm for a mix of #2 and #3 - the Stardust starburst could go and the giant asterisk move from #3 to #2?  Sold.

Plus - semi-OT... Michael gets major points for being the designer of "The Soup" logo... and being a motion graphics designer as well.  Four Spaghetti Cat points for Mr. Brown.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
Definitely #3, esp. if the old-school asterisk were to light up. The second one has too many asterisks for me...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'217563\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 10:04 PM\']Plus - semi-OT... Michael gets major points for being the designer of "The Soup" logo... and being a motion graphics designer as well.  Four Spaghetti Cat points for Mr. Brown.[/quote]

In that case, I'd also like to award him a bowl of chicken tetrazinni...

Yogi007

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:04 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'217573\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 11:46 PM\'][quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'217563\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 10:04 PM\']Plus - semi-OT... Michael gets major points for being the designer of "The Soup" logo... and being a motion graphics designer as well.  Four Spaghetti Cat points for Mr. Brown.[/quote]

In that case, I'd also like to award him a bowl of chicken tetrazinni...
[/quote]
And don't forget a side of sweeeet potato (Oprah's "favorite")
sarcasm included at no extra charge

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217464\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 12:14 AM\'][Something about that asterisk always screamed Price to me. (It might be because I watched the show back in the day when said asterisk denoted the winning One-Bid.[/quote]

I wonder why those were there--on Cullen's version, the asterisk lit up when a bidder froze. Was there ever a thought they'd be more than one-bids in Contestants' Row?

I love that third pricetag, too. Without the asterisk, it would be a cleaner, simpler graphic for the big doors. The asterisked background of design #2 would be nice on the turntable area, in place of the hypercycloids and the squares.

CJBojangles

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »
I always thought those asterisks to denote the winner in Contestants' Row were just to make them look a little more like the originals. Sort of a throwback to the Cullen series.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:39:46 PM by CJBojangles »

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
Huell Howser was considered for the hosting job?
Twenty-eight years later, is his work co-hosting Wedding Day that memorable?

pacdude

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »

bwood

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
Well, that's pretty cool!