Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Actors/actresses-turned-contestants  (Read 16942 times)

tvwxman

Actors/actresses-turned-contestants
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216719\' date=\'May 27 2009, 09:21 PM\']I remember coming in in the middle of a Donnymid episode and not knowing which ones were the contestants and which ones were the celebrities -- and I pay attention to this stuff![/quote]
QFT - That happened a LOT...and I consider myself pop culture worthy enough to know 'most' celebs.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'216724\' date=\'May 27 2009, 10:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216719\' date=\'May 27 2009, 09:21 PM\']I remember coming in in the middle of a Donnymid episode and not knowing which ones were the contestants and which ones were the celebrities -- and I pay attention to this stuff![/quote]
QFT - That happened a LOT...and I consider myself pop culture worthy enough to know 'most' celebs.
[/quote]
To me, the rotating celebs everyday only added further to the confusion, despite the constant CG'g of the celebs names. I'd simply suggest name tags for the teams, and put a nice Gold Star* on the celebs.

*Not to be confused with the Gold Stars awarded here for wit.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216727\' date=\'May 27 2009, 09:31 PM\']To me, the rotating celebs everyday only added further to the confusion, despite the constant CG'g of the celebs names. I'd simply suggest name tags for the teams, and put a nice Gold Star* on the celebs.[/quote]

Ideally, giant Gold Stars like the ones on the prizes when Wheel of Fortune first started their bonus game.

TimK2003

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'216731\' date=\'May 27 2009, 11:14 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216727\' date=\'May 27 2009, 09:31 PM\']To me, the rotating celebs everyday only added further to the confusion, despite the constant CG'g of the celebs names. I'd simply suggest name tags for the teams, and put a nice Gold Star* on the celebs.[/quote]

Ideally, giant Gold Stars like the ones on the prizes when Wheel of Fortune first started their bonus game.
[/quote]

Or in the case of most Donnymid Celebs, A big name tag which reads "Look at ME...I'm the Celebrity" and an arrow pointing to their name. :)

calliaume

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'216714\' date=\'May 27 2009, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'216695\' date=\'May 27 2009, 04:40 PM\']Maybe we should start a thread about obscure celebrities - did you ever see a celebrity game show and wonder exactly who these people were?[/quote]

With the exceptions of Betty White and LeVar Burton, just about all the regulars on 80s Pyramid fall into the category of "people whose career outside of game shows I know nothing about."
[/quote]
That's true now, but in 1983, they weren't worrying about who would still be well known a quarter of a century later.  I just looked at William Padron's list, and there were only a few names that weren't either in TV series or between series back then.

davemackey

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216722\' date=\'May 27 2009, 09:44 PM\']On Pyramid, they could have made it easier by having the celebrities sit where they always did on the earlier series.  That or make a name plate on the podia with the celebs name.[/quote]
I'm sure the nameplate thing would sit really well with the stars' egos. Even so, the celebs' names were routinely added in post as onscreen graphics, so that helped some.

Nerdocrumbesian

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:46 AM »
Actress Mink Stole (regular in John Waters' films and many others) reportedly appeared on Scrabble... possibly under her real name Nancy Stoll. It's mentioned here: http://www.geraldpeary.com/interviews/wxyz...ers-p-town.html and many years ago there was a screenshot from this appearance on her official website.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
I think the stars would be okay with a nameplate in front of them.  What egotist doesn't like the sight/sound of his own name?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
This doesn't fit the actor/actress category, but I found it worthy of mention:

When I was a kid in school, we had these Houghton-Mifflin reading books (Signposts, Secrets, Panorama, etc.) that progressed from reading levels K-5.  Well, in the book Images, I remember reading this weird yet interesting play called "The Book That Saved The Earth" by Claire Boiko.

Well, it turned out that I actually saw Claire as a contestant on Match Game '90 by accident.  My jaw dropped when I heard her name mentioned.  Even more surprising was that I came across an article about how she and her husband would go on game shows as contestants.   Both were on MG '90, Claire was on Art Fleming's Jeopardy!, and her husband was on Concentration and Now You See It.

Again, they're not celebrities per se, but when I couldn't resist posting it.

A news article about Claire:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nico...brodeur17m.html

GameShowGuru

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'216568\' date=\'May 26 2009, 04:42 AM\']Paris Themmen played Mike Teevee; he later appeared on Wink's Trivial Pursuit in '93 & Duel in '08. Paris' acting career was never mentioned on TP. (I didn't see his Duel appearance, so I don't know if it was brought up there at all.)[/quote]

I actually saw the ep with Paris on Trivial Pursuit.  He won the game and the bonus round and did a great job playing.

He was a good fit for that game and definately knew a lot of trivia.  His DVD commentary in WWATCF attests to that.  Him and Julie Dawn Cole pretty much stole the show, so to speak.  But I digress.

Nerdocrumbesian

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
If anyone is interested, I did find the screenshot of Mink Stole on Scrabble....on the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20000310035834/...nk/trouble.html

Apparently she DID appear as "Mink".