Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Actors/actresses-turned-contestants  (Read 17155 times)

MrBuddwing

Actors/actresses-turned-contestants
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'216568\' date=\'May 26 2009, 04:42 AM\']Leonard Stone played Violet Beauregard's father. He appeared on Wheel of Fortune in 2000, and his role in the film was mentioned in his contestant interview.[/quote]

Now that kind of surprises me. Leonard Stone is a very familiar-looking character actor. He wasn't just in "Willy Wonka." I remember seeing him in "Perry Mason." I remember seeing him in "Dragnet." I even remember seeing him in two episodes of "Lost in Space." Look him up on the Internet Movie Database and you'll see an impressively long string of credits.

calliaume

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216545\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:48 PM\'][quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'216534\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:45 PM\']Now here's my question... why were they allowed to be contestants on game shows when they previously appeared in TV or movies?  Everyone knows that celebrities and famous people who appear on game shows play for charity.[/quote]
Actors are people too, and an awful lot of barely-working actors wouldn't be considered celebrities.  If the contestant coordinator didn't think that someone was famous enough to be distracting to the audience, there's no reason at all for them not to be contestants on a game show.
[/quote]
A few sports "celebrities" -- not stars, but (ex-)athletes who are trying to get a little extra scratch have appeared on game shows as well.  Peter Marshall's book notes Dick Williams won big on Hollywood Squares (after they brought him back due to an error on a question).  I also remember seeing current Oakland Athletics manager Bob Geren (who was then a backup catcher for the Yankees) on the Ray Combs version of Family Feud.

The nice thing about having actors on the show is you don't have to worry as much about them freezing up in front of the camera.

colonial

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'216568\' date=\'May 26 2009, 04:42 AM\']At least two actors from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory were later game show contestants.

Leonard Stone played Violet Beauregard's father. He appeared on Wheel of Fortune in 2000, and his role in the film was mentioned in his contestant interview.

Paris Themmen played Mike Teevee; he later appeared on Wink's Trivial Pursuit in '93 & Duel in '08. Paris' acting career was never mentioned on TP. (I didn't see his Duel appearance, so I don't know if it was brought up there at all.)[/quote]

On Duel, Themmen was referred to as "Paris, a former child actor."  I don't think he was actually chosen to play the game.

Some other celebs on game shows...

Bumper Robinson, a former child actor (played Leon, the orphan Harry considered adopting on "Night Court") whose worked steadily on sitcoms and movies since, was a contestant on a "regular" episode of Street Smarts a few years ago.

Former Dallas Cowboys WR Tony Hill was a team captain on Greed.  Chuck Woolery brought up Hill's career during the contestant interview (Think Hill introduced himself as "a businessman" in the introduction).

Former MLB player Steve Henderson was a contestant on Dawson Feud.  Henderson is best (or worst) known as being one of the players Cincinnati traded to the New York Mets for Tom Seaver.

JD

pentellit

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
What about all those soon-to-be-famous young actors like Tom Selleck, John Ritter etc who supplemented their table-waiting tips by appearing on The Dating Game?  Or is The Dating Game not considered a game show?  Clarification anyone?

Chief-O

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'216588\' date=\'May 26 2009, 10:18 AM\']Not an actor or actress, but noteworthy nonetheless: Walter Egan, who had the 1978 hit "Magnet and Steel", was a regular contestant on Scrabble around 1987. I think he won the day but little else.[/quote]

Didn't know about that one. Did know Andrew Gold [he of "Thank You for Being a Friend" fame] was on there [and on "Feud"].
.....and it goes like this!!!

MrBuddwing

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:59:57 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'216606\' date=\'May 26 2009, 01:45 PM\']What about all those soon-to-be-famous young actors like Tom Selleck, John Ritter etc who supplemented their table-waiting tips by appearing on The Dating Game?  Or is The Dating Game not considered a game show?  Clarification anyone?[/quote]

I think the basic point of the thread is: People who you'd think are established actors (not necessarily stars) turning up as "civilian" players in a regular game show. That's not quite the same as the up-and-coming actors whose early game show appearances will provide fodder for some future TV special.

mmb5

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'216600\' date=\'May 26 2009, 01:05 PM\']Former MLB player Steve Henderson was a contestant on Dawson Feud.  Henderson is best (or worst) known as being one of the players Cincinnati traded to the New York Mets for Tom Seaver.

JD[/quote]
Current Oakland A's manager Bob Geren was a contestant with his family on Combs' Feud while an active player.  

This is also an exercise in who is famous to what forum member(s).

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

dmota104

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
May be a shot in the dark.  But anyone remember the education game show "Contract"?  It was basically a reading comprehension quiz where young contestants would be given a short amount of time to read some text -- then be asked questions about what they read.

"Contract" was hosted by Kenny Wallin (sp?), who was a solo player on the original "Blockbusters" series.  I saw a GSN rerun a few months ago and instantly remembered Kenny's work on "Contract" when he was introduced (no mention of "Contract" was made on his initial "Blockbusters" appearance).

Not sure exactly when "Contract" aired -- but I do remember watching it in when I was a 3rd grader (at the risk of showing my age, it was the '81-'82 school year, about the time "Blockbusters" was ending its first run on NBC).  I also recall Kenny's wardrobe, the set and the theme song all had that '70s look and sound.  

I've googled Kenny's name and "Contract" a few times and changed the spelling of his last name on some occasions.  Searches turn up nothing.

And yet, I can still remember the closing spiel...

Kenny: "Before you sign a contract..."

Audience of kids: "READ IT!"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:44:57 PM by dmota104 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216545\' date=\'May 25 2009, 10:48 PM\']The Dahm Triplets, who had been Playboy Centerfolds[/quote]

[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'216610\' date=\'May 26 2009, 02:20 PM\']This is also an exercise in who is famous to what forum member(s).[/quote]

What are you, my mother?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pentellit

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'216608\' date=\'May 26 2009, 10:59 AM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'216606\' date=\'May 26 2009, 01:45 PM\']What about all those soon-to-be-famous young actors like Tom Selleck, John Ritter etc who supplemented their table-waiting tips by appearing on The Dating Game?  Or is The Dating Game not considered a game show?  Clarification anyone?[/quote]

I think the basic point of the thread is: People who you'd think are established actors (not necessarily stars) turning up as "civilian" players in a regular game show. That's not quite the same as the up-and-coming actors whose early game show appearances will provide fodder for some future TV special.
[/quote]
Gotcha!  Thanks for 'splainin' it!

mmb5

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216617\' date=\'May 26 2009, 03:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216545\' date=\'May 25 2009, 10:48 PM\']The Dahm Triplets, who had been Playboy Centerfolds[/quote]

[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'216610\' date=\'May 26 2009, 02:20 PM\']This is also an exercise in who is famous to what forum member(s).[/quote]

What are you, my mother?
[/quote]
I thought you were my father.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews and his brother, longtime Browns linebacker Clay were on a syndicated episode of Family Feud after Bruce's rookie year.  Clay had been in the NFL for at least 5 years at the time.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'216600\' date=\'May 26 2009, 12:05 PM\']Bumper Robinson, a former child actor (played Leon, the orphan Harry considered adopting on "Night Court") whose worked steadily on sitcoms and movies since, was a contestant on a "regular" episode of Street Smarts a few years ago.[/quote]
As an in-studio player, or as one of the people Nicotero interviewed?

/Blipped right past 3800 and didn't even realize it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:57:24 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

That Don Guy

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'216600\' date=\'May 26 2009, 10:05 AM\']Some other celebs on game shows...

Bumper Robinson, a former child actor (played Leon, the orphan Harry considered adopting on "Night Court") whose worked steadily on sitcoms and movies since, was a contestant on a "regular" episode of Street Smarts a few years ago.[/quote]
He was also the original voice of Dwight (Hermes's son) on Futurama.  (One of the show's DVD commentaries says that they had a line changed but couldn't get him back to record the new line as he was in China making some movie.)

As for "celebrities" on game shows, Chub Feeney was on Jeopardy! in 1986 while he was President of baseball's National League.  Alex pointed out that anybody who could pass the qualifying test was potentially eligible.

-- Don

tidefan12

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:15 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'216598\' date=\'May 26 2009, 11:56 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216545\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:48 PM\'][quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'216534\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:45 PM\']Now here's my question... why were they allowed to be contestants on game shows when they previously appeared in TV or movies?  Everyone knows that celebrities and famous people who appear on game shows play for charity.[/quote]
Actors are people too, and an awful lot of barely-working actors wouldn't be considered celebrities.  If the contestant coordinator didn't think that someone was famous enough to be distracting to the audience, there's no reason at all for them not to be contestants on a game show.
[/quote]
A few sports "celebrities" -- not stars, but (ex-)athletes who are trying to get a little extra scratch have appeared on game shows as well.  Peter Marshall's book notes Dick Williams won big on Hollywood Squares (after they brought him back due to an error on a question).  I also remember seeing current Oakland Athletics manager Bob Geren (who was then a backup catcher for the Yankees) on the Ray Combs version of Family Feud.

The nice thing about having actors on the show is you don't have to worry as much about them freezing up in front of the camera.
[/quote]

Didn't Marshall's book also mention O.J. Simpson appearing on Squares during his days as a student and star running back @ USC?  Unless his appearance came as a freshman (in those days NCAA rules prohibited freshmen from playing on the varsity squad), I would say he certainly had gained a certain amount of "celebrity" by that time in spite of not reaching the professional ranks yet.  And even more to follow later for all the wrong reasons :-)