Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration ownership  (Read 12158 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Classic Concentration ownership
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:08:47 AM »
The Wiki page says that Steve Beverly said that the Narz edition was intact...

I know I shouldn't take the Wiki too seriously, but how does he know that?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 03:16:38 AM »
It makes sense, though...syndie shows weren't @ the mercy of the networks, so they'd most likely be intact.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

snowpeck

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
Well, that's the odd thing about Concentration.  It was syndicated and also at the mercy of NBC since they owned the rights to it.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215880\' date=\'May 15 2009, 06:31 PM\']Didn't Jim Victory own a piece of it?[/quote]

The only involvement Jim Victory had with Concentration was as the syndicator of the 1970s syndicated run. I believe that in order to put the 1970s syndicated run on GSN, Sony would have to get the okay from NBC, Jim Victory, and FreMantle. If just one of them were to say "no", then there would be no reruns.

snowpeck

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
Jim Victory Television:

A) No longer exists,
and B) as former syndicator, has no claim to the show.  They also syndicated both Match Game PM and the 79-82 weekday runs, and nobody had to get their permission to run those on GSN.

Fremantle would have no rights either I would think.  G-T was a producer-for-hire as far as that goes.   They had no ownership stake.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:02:03 PM by snowpeck »
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »
Fremantle would have no righs either I would think. G-T was a producer-for-hire as far as that goes. They had no ownership stake.
You are correct. No version of Concentration was part of the Goodson inventory of formats.

I don't know if Jim Victory is even still living.

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11520

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:24 AM »
How does one explain the "Distributed by Victory Television" credit on the Trebek version?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216485\' date=\'May 25 2009, 12:40 AM\']How does one explain the "Distributed by Victory Television" credit on the Trebek version?[/quote]

Where was it on the Trebek version? The only place I could find it was on the pilot and I'm pretty sure that was strictly licensed for syndication...unless of course, I'm missing something.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
It was on during the full credit rolls.  What about Buddy Piper?

snowpeck

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 02:48:47 AM »
That is interesting.  I never noticed that.  Maybe had something to do with their deal to syndicate what would have been the 1985 version?  Another note, the only shows besides Match Game and Concentration that I ever knew to be distributed by Jim Victory were the MTM library (except The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Bob Newhart Show which were both distributed by Viacom).

Greg

EDIT: Here's exactly what was posted on the Perf's site:

Q: Why haven't reruns of Concentration ever been shown on GSN?

A: That's a complicated issue. Game Show Network definitely wanted Concentration back in 1994 because some of the Hugh Downs episodes were repeated in a limited number of markets for a short period. USA Network bought the rights to air reruns of Classic Concentration with Alex Trebek in the mid-'90s after Game Show Network was already on cable. The Jack Narz version from the '70s (as well as the Classic version) was distributed by Jim Victory, a Florida-based syndicator who also sold Match Game P.M..

Here's where the complications set in: NBC actually still owns Concentration, which it obtained when it bought out the assets of Jack Barry and Dan Enright at the height of the quiz scandals in the late 1950s. When Goodson-Todman produced its two versions of Concentration, the format and name were merely licensed to Mark Goodson by NBC (as the only game show format Goodson-Todman ever produced which the company did not develop itself).

We were told by an executive of GSN in early 1995 that NBC, for unexplained and puzzling reasons, refused to allow any version of Concentration to be released in reruns and was not going to allow any further distribution of Classic Concentration after its USA Network run ended. What's puzzling about why NBC would take that stance is the network has never developed a new version of the format in the 15 years since it left television.

That's also a sore spot with Jack Narz. Jack told us a few years ago that Jim Victory was sitting on the five years of the '70s Concentration. He didn't realize at the time that NBC, which has the right to do so, would not allow Victory to sell those episodes. Too bad. That would have been the most lucrative payoff for reruns Jack would have had. Concentration was his longest-running game show.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 02:51:30 AM by snowpeck »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:04 AM »
Victory also syndicated "The Streets of San Francisco" prior to Worldvision/Evergreen.  The prof is incorrect about CC ever airing on USA Network.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
When Goodson-Todman produced its two versions of Concentration, the format and name were merely licensed to Mark Goodson by NBC
I believe the Perf is also wrong about this. AFAIK Goodson was hired to produce Concentration. His company was paid a fee to produce the shows, which is a whole different proposition from licensing the format from the network.

tpirfan28

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
Classic Concentration never made it to air on USA, did it?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'216505\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:54 AM\']Classic Concentration never made it to air on USA, did it?[/quote]
Nope. Not a single G/T produced show ever made it through to USA's lineup. I wonder why?

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'216506\' date=\'May 25 2009, 12:21 PM\'][quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'216505\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:54 AM\']Classic Concentration never made it to air on USA, did it?[/quote]
Nope. Not a single G/T produced show ever made it through to USA's lineup. I wonder why?
[/quote]
I always found that weird too, considering CBN aired Card Sharks and Blockbusters during the mid-80s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!