Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmy nominations announced  (Read 9613 times)

colonial

Daytime Emmy nominations announced
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
The nominees for Outstanding Game/Participation Show -- WWTBAM, J! and Cash Cab

Outstanding Game Show Host nominees are Mandel, Vieira, Trebek and Ben Bailey

JD

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »
The official list is available at the Emmy website.

OUTSTANDING GAME / AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION SHOW
CASH CAB, DISCOVERY CHANNEL
JEOPARDY!, SYNDICATED
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE, SYNDICATED

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST
CASH CAB, DISCOVERY CHANNEL - BEN BAILEY, HOST
DEAL OR NO DEAL, SYNDICATED - HOWIE  MANDEL, HOST
JEOPARDY!, SYNDICATED - ALEX TREBEK, HOST
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE, SYNDICATED - MEREDITH VIEIRA, HOST

Also of semi-related interest, Regis Phiblin is co-nominated with Kelly Ripa in the Outstanding Talk Show Host category and is part of the crew for the 2008 Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade on ABC, nominated for Outstanding Special Class Special. Live With Regis and Kelly is nominated for Outstanding Talk Show.
Meredith Vieira is part of The Today Show team which is nominated for Outstanding Morning Program.

Edit: As evidenced below, The Price is Right is up against Barney & Friends, Sesame Street, Ellen and Nickelodeon's acid trip/kids show Yo Gabba Gabba! for Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design/Styling and against Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee, Bonnie Hunt, Tyra and The View in Outstanding Achievement in Makeup.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:36:35 PM by chad1m »

vtown7

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a limit on how many entries can end up in these categories (ie. 3 plus ties?).  It just seems a bit odd that stalwarts Feud and Wheel don't really tend to pop up.

Ryan.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'215761\' date=\'May 14 2009, 01:27 PM\']It just seems a bit odd that stalwarts Feud and Wheel don't really tend to pop up.[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Wheel airs almost exclusively in early prime time (7-8 PM), I believe it isn't eligible for a daytime Emmy.  Jeopardy! can slide by because it airs in afternoons in some markets (it's been on at 3:30 PM here in Chicago forever).

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'215763\' date=\'May 14 2009, 02:35 PM\']Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Wheel airs almost exclusively in early prime time (7-8 PM), I believe it isn't eligible for a daytime Emmy.[/quote]Yeah, that can't be right. ABC's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire won for 2000 and 2001 and that did air exclusively in primetime. (It was allowed to compete in that category since, well, there's no primetime game show category.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:40:04 PM by chad1m »

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
No Price? Am I to guess that Barker was the main one pushing for that show to get Emmy noms?

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen the current Feud nominated.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'215767\' date=\'May 14 2009, 02:52 PM\']No Price? Am I to guess that Barker was the main one pushing for that show to get Emmy noms?

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen the current Feud nominated.[/quote]

It's possible that both Price and Feud were not even submitted for consideration.  Didn't Drew Carey ask that he not be considered for a nomination last year?

AFAIK, the current revival of FF has never been nominated for Outstanding Game Show or Show Host.  None of the Fremantle syndie shows since 1997 (MG, CS, TTTT, FF) have ever been nominated.

Wheel has been nominated before in both show and show host categories.  Like the above examples, it's possible the show wasn't submitted for consideration.

WWTBAM did win in 2000 and 2001, but the Daytime Emmy folks changed the rules following the show's second win, making prime time network game shows ineligible for any Daytime Emmy Awards.  IIRC, the daytime game show producers complained that the nighttime shows had an unfair advantage thanks to bigger budgets and better production values.  Also, it closed a loophole in Daytime Emmy rules, as nighttime network soaps and talk shows were ineligible for Daytime Emmys, but nighttime game shows were not.

Not sure if there is a max limit on nominations (I've seen six for some acting soap categories in the past).  Due to the lack of depth in the game show genre, the Daytime Emmys have only named three nominees for Outstanding Game Show the last couple of years.  Should be noted that there are also only three nominees in other major categories as well, such as best soap and best talk show.

JD

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'215768\' date=\'May 14 2009, 03:27 PM\']It's possible that both Price and Feud were not even submitted for consideration.  Didn't Drew Carey ask that he not be considered for a nomination last year?[/quote]

I am 99.9% sure Price was submitted, unless someone forgot to lick the stamp.  As far as Drew, he did not wish to be nominated as the host in the past, but that did not stand true for the show's nominations.

pentellit

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'215767\' date=\'May 14 2009, 11:52 AM\']No Price? Am I to guess that Barker was the main one pushing for that show to get Emmy noms?[/quote]
Who else? :)

Robair

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
TPIR got two nominations, for makeup and costumes. No technical nods either this year, which is strange.
--Robair

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'215772\' date=\'May 14 2009, 04:48 PM\']TPIR got two nominations, for makeup and costumes.[/quote]
OK, I guess I haven't been paying enough attention over the years.  There is a category for best costuming...for a game show?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'215774\' date=\'May 14 2009, 05:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'215772\' date=\'May 14 2009, 04:48 PM\']TPIR got two nominations, for makeup and costumes.[/quote]
OK, I guess I haven't been paying enough attention over the years.  There is a category for best costuming...for a game show?
[/quote]
It's something Monty Hall lobbied long and hard for with the Academy back in the late 60s  early 70s timeframe.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
The two Price nominations are in all-genre categories.
This signature is currently under construction.

chad1m

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »
He's right. Price is up against Barney & Friends, Sesame Street, Ellen and Nickelodeon's acid trip/kids show Yo Gabba Gabba! for Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design/Styling and against Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee, Bonnie Hunt, Tyra and The View in Outstanding Achievement in Makeup.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:34:48 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215778\' date=\'May 14 2009, 02:34 PM\']Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee, Bonnie Hunt, Tyra and The View in Outstanding Achievement in Makeup.[/quote]
Applying makeup with a spackling knife is now considered "outstanding"?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe