Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite Rod moment  (Read 6063 times)

JayC

Your favorite Rod moment
« on: October 28, 2003, 04:29:56 PM »
Once again, RIP Rod.  You were a great announcer and will never be forgotten.

So, what is your favorite Rod moment?

I would have to say either the moment were he said an IUFB was a new car, or his final episode on October 20 (?)

GS Warehouse

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 04:46:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Oct 28 2003, 04:29 PM\']So, what is your favorite Rod moment?[/quote]
"If you'd like to be a contestant on Hit Man, forget it!"  I actually watched this ep in its original broadcast.  I was only 8 then and didn't think to tape it. :-(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 04:46:39 PM by GS Warehouse »

Kevin Prather

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 06:33:25 PM »
Is that "hit man" line from the last episode or something?

I agree. The funniest moment was the Car IUFB.

Bob: What do we have to bid on?
Rod: A barbecue and a new car. .................. no, no. A lovely dinette group! *loses it*

after speil...

Bob: Rod?
Rod: Yes, Bob?
Bob: Would you like a glass of water? Or a glass of SOMETHING???

zachhoran

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 06:47:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Oct 28 2003, 06:33 PM\'] Is that "hit man" line from the last episode or something?

I agree. The funniest moment was the Car IUFB.

Bob: What do we have to bid on?
Rod: A barbecue and a new car. .................. no, no. A lovely dinette group! *loses it*

after speil...

Bob: Rod?
Rod: Yes, Bob?
Bob: Would you like a glass of water? Or a glass of SOMETHING??? [/quote]
 The Hit Man line was said on the 4/1/83 finale.

That "Barbecue and Car" IUFB moment occurred when the copy for the IUFB and the next PG(Two for the Price of One IIRC) somehow got mixed up.

Particleman

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 07:52:56 PM »
I really enjoyed seeing Rod play on Family Feud.  I had that on tape until my wife taped over it to catch Oprah.  Sigh...

KyleCHaight

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 10:49:07 PM »
One Rod moment that sticks out in my mind was during the 20th season priemiere when they were doing the "Rod Tries To Become the ULLLLLLLTimate Surfer" skit. At the close of it, Rod strolls onto the turntable trying to "dance" like a surfer, smiling as always, and you see Bob in the background in disbelief. Truly funny.

Mark McNeil

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 11:18:52 PM »
My favorite Rod moment was one from, I believe, the late 80's.
  There was a contestant on TPIR who worked for a newspaper. He told Bob he would write an article about how much fun he had on the show. Bob told him to make sure he mentions everyone's names in that article. Pointing to Rod, Bob asked if he remembers the announcer's name. The contestant said "Uh....Norm?"
  After the commercial break, Bob points to Rod and asks "Who's our next contestant, Norm?"
  At the end of the show, Rod announced "This is Norm, also known as Rod Roddy, speaking for The Price Is Right!".

combsisthebest

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 01:36:34 AM »
I've never seen or heard it, but I can imagine the "If you'd like to be a contestent on Hit Man: Forget it!" incident.

TPiR- Nicole "Thorensen" incident.

I also liked the skits they used to do in the showcases. For example Rod doesn't make statements with flowers, but he makes statements with food. (circa right after Dian got let go)

whewfan

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 05:31:07 AM »
I have a couple of Rod faves...

1- Rappin Rod- Come on! You have to give the guy credit for having the guts to do that! At least he had Kathleen and Dian to back him up as "fly girls"

2- Rod lookalike- Surprised no one mentioned this. They found someone that looked EXACTLY like Rod, and he participated in the showcase as usual. The real Rod came out though, and said "that guy's an imposter!"

For some reason, Rod's participation in the showcases faded away, which IMO took away from the fun of the showcases. Was it concern for Rod's health, or was it that Bob felt his participation was not needed? Maybe Randy or Burton (whomever they decide) can be persuaded to do showcase skits, if Roger, Phil, and Bob think it'll work.

The last physical thing Rod did was jumping on a trampoline (and I MISSED that one!)
and that was just before his on camera appearances disappeared, with exception to the recent 32nd season premiere.

Robair

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 08:52:32 AM »
The all time Rod moment for me had to be the TPIR Beauty Contest showcase (1988), where Janice, Dian and Holly got their runner-up prizes, and then Rod comes out in full drag with the sash and the tiara and everything, and announces that Rodwina, a late entrant, won the pageant and the grand prize (a car, I think). Hysterical stuff.
--Robair

Robair

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 08:55:13 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 05:31 AM\'] For some reason, Rod's participation in the showcases faded away, which IMO took away from the fun of the showcases. Was it concern for Rod's health, or was it that Bob felt his participation was not needed? Maybe Randy or Burton (whomever they decide) can be persuaded to do showcase skits, if Roger, Phil, and Bob think it'll work. [/quote]
 I think the issue in the cessation of the skits is time. With all the minutes continually chipped away by ads and promos, there really isn't a lot of time anymore to do a lavish sketch like in the old days. And we can forget about Randy or Burton doing any on-camera stuff as per Fremantle's quasi-official decree that announcers shall not be shown on camera.
--Robair

Steve Gavazzi

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 10:10:54 AM »
Trying to think of something that no one's said yet...

There was a time a few years ago when Rod just couldn't figure out a contestant's name.  He got her first name out fine, spent about four seconds fumbling around with her last name, and finally, after he saw her stand up, just said, "you know who you are!  Get up and come on down!"

And you can't forget all the stuff that used to go on about Rod's weight.  The one incident there that's always stood out in my mind was when Bob had told the audience that Rod was trying to lose 100 pounds.  He asked for a progress report, and Rod said, "it's going well, Bob.  As a matter of fact, I've already lost 20 pounds of luggage!"

tommycharles

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 10:48:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 08:55 AM\'] [quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 05:31 AM\'] For some reason, Rod's participation in the showcases faded away, which IMO took away from the fun of the showcases. Was it concern for Rod's health, or was it that Bob felt his participation was not needed? Maybe Randy or Burton (whomever they decide) can be persuaded to do showcase skits, if Roger, Phil, and Bob think it'll work. [/quote]
I think the issue in the cessation of the skits is time. With all the minutes continually chipped away by ads and promos, there really isn't a lot of time anymore to do a lavish sketch like in the old days. And we can forget about Randy or Burton doing any on-camera stuff as per Fremantle's quasi-official decree that announcers shall not be shown on camera. [/quote]
 Does anyone have a clue why this is? Even if it's Fremantle's explaination, its better than nothing. Unless it's purely time (which I can understand), then I can't think of a single explaination for cutting the announcer time.

Johnissoevil

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 11:41:49 AM »
My favorite Rod moment?  I have a few from the game shows he announced on that I can remember....

TPIR:  The 25th anniversary special, when Bob did a tribute to Johnny Olsen.  Bob said something very positive.  "At that sad point in time, we were most fortunate enough to find that man sitting over there, Rod Roddy!"

PYL:  Well, none that I can really remember at the moment...

Feud:  Ray was about to have a contestant read the contestant ticket plug right before the face-off, back when Rod filled in for Gene Wood, and he jokingly told Rod "Sit down, Rod.  We're going to make your job slightly easier today."  You could hear Rod laughing in the background.

H2:  During Game Show Week, a contestant picked Wink Martindale, and Wink used a zinger that involved Rod.  They show Rod laughing, and then Wink says "Sorry, Rod."
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

JayC

Your favorite Rod moment
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 09:34:08 PM »
The H2 Game Show week was awsome!  Rod was a refreshing change from whatever loser is the regular announcer, and he could have been a really good fit for the show.  Perhaps if they kept Rod, H2 would have bad better ratings that year
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 09:35:29 PM by JayC »