Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey, Buddy, Where's Your Tie?  (Read 9720 times)

Matt Ottinger

Hey, Buddy, Where's Your Tie?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'212759\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:31 PM\']
Hi, I’ve been a member here for awhile but this is my first posting.  I am looking for a safe place to;  Like this new Price, like Drew (and his non-traditional wardrobe!), be glad that Barker-Roger-Bart got booted, and be able to post so without some fanbois getting hysterical.  g-r.net is alot of Drew bashing, bash changes, bitterness now.[/quote]
I'll tell you right now, you'll have a lot easier time posting your comments if you can avoid bashing other forums.  Clearly, if you've been here for awhile, you know that the whole Drew thing is a sensitive topic, but yes, you're probably not as outnumbered here as you would be there.  Still, at least try not to make it personal.  Newcomers' posts are filtered, and not everything you say will automatically get through.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
Is it ok to say that here?
[/quote]
It's perfectly normal. I don't frequent g-r enough to base a comparison, but you're not required to agree with everyone here...although if you make an unpopular opinion (i.e. Drew hosts circles around Barker), you might get ragged on a bit. ;-)

Seriously, it's a pretty fun and open environment, even with the sometimes heated debates.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

pentellit

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'212763\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 07:40 PM\']
I'll tell you right now, you'll have a lot easier time posting your comments if you can avoid bashing other forums.[/quote]
Should I modify my original post?  Can I?

chad1m

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'212765\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:46 PM\']Should I modify my original post?  Can I?[/quote]You can by clicking the "edit" button, but it'll look silly now that it has been pointed out what you did, not to mention the original is quoted by Matt O.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:49:46 PM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'212765\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'212763\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 07:40 PM\']
I'll tell you right now, you'll have a lot easier time posting your comments if you can avoid bashing other forums.[/quote]
Should I modify my original post?  Can I?[/quote]
Anyone can edit their own posts, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary here, especially since others have already quoted you, and your editing won't change those.  Still, it sounds like you understand my point, and that's all I need to hear.  Carry on, and hopefully you'll enjoy your time with us!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pentellit

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 10:53:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'212766\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 07:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'212765\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:46 PM\']Should I modify my original post?  Can I?[/quote]You can by clicking the "edit" button, but it'll look silly now that it has been pointed out what you did, not to mention the original is quoted by Matt O.
[/quote]
Ok then, Thanks!

TroubadourNando

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'212749\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 08:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'212746\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 08:07 PM\']I'm glad to know that's what you call asking for decent hosting (which, ironically enough, began happening more often once he lost the usual glasses)[/quote]"Nando", may I ask what game show hosts you do like?
[/quote]

I realize I'm probably walking into a very obvious trap, but I'll answer you anyway:

Gene Rayburn
Ray Combs
Bill Cullen
Geoff Edwards
Tom Kennedy
Marc Summers
Regis Philbin
Garry Moore
Chuck Woolery
John O'Hurley
Peter Tomarken

....to name a few. I'm on the fence with a number of others, namely Ross Shafer, Alex Trebek, and surprisingly enough, Drew Carey.

I just don't like what I've been seeing a lot of lately, and what I'm seeing is the attitude that there's no middle ground: either you love Drew and everything that's happened this season, or you're a "fanboi" who "craps himself" on the "sight of Bob Barker." It's friggin ridiculous.

EDIT: Forgot to put Monty Hall and Dick Clark on that list.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:15:20 PM by TroubadourNando »

NickS

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'212755\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 09:07 PM\']
I don't get why there's even a debate about this.  As long as Drew hosts the show decently (which he is about half the time lately), who cares whether or not he's got a tie on?
[/quote]

Now Steve, hold on here:

A) It is different to see Drew with the longer hair/casual dress.  I actually don't mind it at all; I think for all the changes he might as well make his own identity.  Compared to the PR pic that still has him from his first real season, if he's loosening up the hope is that it'll make for a better show.

B) You're coming from a board that dissects minutae of the show and asking why we're talking about Drew loosening up?  C'mon.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
people who work the show are happy for the first time in ages
[/quote]

I only just noticed this, otherwise I'd have stuck it in my other post.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I've been given the exact opposite impression - it's pretty clear to me that a lot of people are fearful for their employment right now. Hardly qualifies as "happy." (Unless, of course, you're talking about the fact that the models get named on air again)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212760\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:37 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'212759\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 09:31 PM\']Hi, I’ve been a member here for awhile but this is my first posting.  I am looking for a safe place to;  Like this new Price, like Drew (and his non-traditional wardrobe!), be glad that Barker-Roger-Bart got booted, and be able to post so without some fanbois getting hysterical.  g-r.net is alot of Drew bashing, bash changes, bitterness now.

I like this new Price, I like Drew, people who work the show are happy for the first time in ages, Drew is finding his rhythm and I think the April Fools show was the best Price in a decade. Is it ok to say that here?[/quote]Let's put it this way...it won't get you banned here.[/quote]
And unless something's changed in the past week, it hasn't gotten her banned from Golden-Road, either.

Oh, and should we also be glad that, off the top of my head, Jeff Thisted, Sharon O'Daniel, and Dana Zlotky got booted?  They've all been fired in the last few months for no apparent reason -- not something that strikes me as characteristic of a work environment in which people are "happy for the first time in ages."

[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'212773\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 11:19 PM\']B) You're coming from a board that dissects minutae of the show and asking why we're talking about Drew loosening up?  C'mon.[/quote]
I've said over there that I think it's goofy, too.  There's a lot more important things to worry about on the show this year -- how many games are still in the rotation, who the next person to get fired is going to be, whether or not Drew is going to act like he gives a damn about the whole thing when I turn on the next episode -- than whether or not the host has a piece of silk draped in front of his shirt.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'212776\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:25 PM\']
[/quote]

Are you absolutely sure about that? I've been given the exact opposite impression - it's pretty clear to me that a lot of people are fearful for their employment right now. Hardly qualifies as "happy." (Unless, of course, you're talking about the fact that the models get named on air again)
[/quote]

I'd sure like to know where you got that from considering that most of the news coming out of TPIR (from my hearings) is that Drew doesn't treat the employees as shabbily as Barker did.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

pentellit

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'212776\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 08:25 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Hi TNando, yes you're right that there are some staffers who are fearful for their jobs, with reason.  But staffers know the reason Barker-Roger-Bart were booted, and those staffers who have no reason to fear are cautiously enjoying working on Price now.  The crew is just plain happy because they really like Drew and the new "let's have some fun on this show" atmosphere on the set.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212780\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 11:34 PM\']

I'd sure like to know where you got that from considering that most of the news coming out of TPIR (from my hearings) is that Drew doesn't treat the employees as shabbily as Barker did.
[/quote]

You have to take that thought very carefully around the guy who made the initial comment about people being 'happy.' It IS true that Drew probably isn't doing the things Bob did, however, to that person, that's a substitute for 'happy' - notice all the vitrol being thrown at GR.net over the Dobkowitz debacle? Go look on GSN and you'll see this guy doing the exact same thing over the firings of a couple models over the past 15 years.

The source I've gotten this from is someone with connections to CBS who is familiar with the situation at the show; he was the first to report at least two firings as I recall (Jeff Thisted and Bart Eskander) and has said at least twice that there is an environment of fear in the staff over who will be terminated next.

Millionaire81

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212780\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:34 PM\']
[/quote]

As usual, the mysterious "unnamed sources."

NickS

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'212779\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 10:34 PM\']I've said over there that I think it's goofy, too.  There's a lot more important things to worry about on the show this year -- how many games are still in the rotation, who the next person to get fired is going to be, whether or not Drew is going to act like he gives a damn about the whole thing when I turn on the next episode -- than whether or not the host has a piece of silk draped in front of his shirt.
[/quote]

What I'm saying, though, Steve, is that how you dress in your workplace *can* make a difference in morale and how you come off.  Might be good, might be bad but it still makes a difference.

I mean, don't you think that there's a logical correlation that if Drew feels more comfortable, his hosting skills are better off?

Sarcasm or not intended in the OP, it's a completely valid discussion IMO.