Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker in NY  (Read 6672 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'212741\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 05:33 PM\']
It might be at Borders, which is a big honkin' chain that's having enough trouble keeping it together as it is.  Very few indies draw authors anymore (we have one that does here in Naperville, Andersons, which is still doing okay despite being blocks away from a B&N).
[/quote]

I hate to sound snarky here (it isn't my intent in this case)...but you've obviously never seen Bookends in my birthplace of Ridgewood, New Jersey.

Almost every time a celeb has a book, their tour always includes a stop at Bookends. And these things are a DRAW. Saw the line for the Slash booksigning at Bookends- wrapped around a block and a half.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212745\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 04:49 PM\']
I hate to sound snarky here (it isn't my intent in this case)...but you've obviously never seen Bookends in my birthplace of Ridgewood, New Jersey.[/quote]
Hence, his use of "very few" instead of "none." A large number of our local signings happen at Elliott Bay Book Company, too. (I can also think of Book Passage in Corte Madera, CA, and I GOTTA think stuff happens at Powell's in Portland.) I'm sure there are a fair number of exceptions, and I'm also sure they are way outnumbered by the national chains.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
I may not like the man, but it's not worth ruining the day for the fanbois. Let them have their day.
It is a momentous occasion indeed to meet one's second daddy.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'212622\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:13 PM\']
I wonder if anybody in line dared ask Bob, "How are Janice and Dian?" I must admit I'd have paid money to see THAT exchange go down.[/quote]
You would then have owned a genuine collectors' item: the only extant copy of his memoirs autographed "F**k off and die -- Bob Barker".

davemackey

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212745\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 07:49 PM\']
I hate to sound snarky here (it isn't my intent in this case)...but you've obviously never seen Bookends in my birthplace of Ridgewood, New Jersey.

Almost every time a celeb has a book, their tour always includes a stop at Bookends. And these things are a DRAW. Saw the line for the Slash booksigning at Bookends- wrapped around a block and a half.
[/quote]
I was at Bookends a few years ago for the second NJ crossword tournament benefitting a regional blood bank (won by R. Mackey). It's a cramped little store but wildly popular in the area! And they're always doing promotions and signings.

Tim L

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
In December I was at a book signing for "Big Chuck"  at the Borders in North Canton, Ohio for  Chuck Schodowski of Cleveland Late Night TV hosting fame..The line was out the door and they had a rule that books bought in the store would be signed first..A buddy I was with took video of the line and kept getting called for it...He wasnt being obtrusive at all..just doing it for the bigchuckandliljohn.com website..I think Borders underestimated Chuck's popularity..He was only supposed to be there 6-8..He was sttill there taking pictures at 9PM..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYj847J4ms0