Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker in NY  (Read 6635 times)

gsfreak82

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' post=\'212598\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 01:23 PM\']
I was there, too. I got there around 6:30. By the time I was getting closer to Bob, I was told that they aren't taking pictures anymore, because it was taking up too much time. Oh well, I still got to see Bob and get my book signed. This was like a dream come true for me. He is the first celebrity I've met.

Whoever posted the link about Borders, I thank you very much![/quote]

I think they lied.  I was there too, I also got there about 6:30 and it seemed to be going along quickly even with the pictures, now if someone tried talking to Bob for an hour then the Borders dicks could throw them out.  They only denied me and Matt pictures because we didn't buy the book in their store.  But, I agree 150% with Steve that without the picture, just getting to stand face to face with Bob, say a quick hello and thank you for all these years and a handshake (still a firm grip at 85) was well worth the trip.  BTW, Bob thanked me for being a loyal viewer and I told him (almost forgetting to) I got my cat neutered which I think made his day, he said "the cat's happier and you're happier too".  

Brian Schwartz

P.S.  I'll get that pic out to you ASAP Matt.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:47:13 PM by Matt Ottinger »

tvrandywest

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 06:07:46 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212615\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 02:30 PM\']
$9 for fare, I could understand (west Jersey and all that), but I've never heard of any train station in New Jersey charging $12 to park.
[/quote]
It's Priceless
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:08:15 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Stevek83

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfreak82\' post=\'212617\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 06:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' post=\'212598\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 01:23 PM\']
I was there, too. I got there around 6:30. By the time I was getting closer to Bob, I was told that they aren't taking pictures anymore, because it was taking up too much time. Oh well, I still got to see Bob and get my book signed. This was like a dream come true for me. He is the first celebrity I've met.

Whoever posted the link about Borders, I thank you very much![/quote]

I think they lied.  I was there too, I also got there about 6:30 and it seemed to be going along quickly even with the pictures, now if someone tried talking to Bob for an hour then the Borders dicks could throw them out.  They only denied me and Matt pictures because we didn't buy the book in their store.  But, I agree 150% with Steve that without the picture, just getting to stand face to face with Bob, say a quick hello and thank you for all these years and a handshake (still a firm grip at 85) was well worth the trip.  BTW, Bob thanked me for being a loyal viewer and I told him (almost forgetting to) I got my cat neutered which I think made his day, he said "the cat's happier and you're happier too".  

Brian Schwartz

P.S.  I'll get that pic out to you ASAP Matt.
[/quote]

I think it's unfair that you couldn't get a picture simply because you didn't buy the book at borders. The whole point is that people are buying Bob's book. Well, it could have been worse; at least they didn't deny you a signature.

I should have told him about my cats being spayed/neutered, too, I guess I was just so excited to meet him to say anything. He said "hello there" to me and I said hello and then a heartfelt "thank you". That was it.

Kevin Prather

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
I wonder if anybody in line dared ask Bob, "How are Janice and Dian?" I must admit I'd have paid money to see THAT exchange go down.

BrandonFG

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »
My guess is a little something like this.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'212623\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:33 PM\']
My guess is a little something like this.
[/quote]
You win. :)

TroubadourNando

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'212622\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 07:13 PM\']
I wonder if anybody in line dared ask Bob, "How are Janice and Dian?" I must admit I'd have paid money to see THAT exchange go down.
[/quote]

The sad part is I could name at least three people who would have had to be removed from this event for doing that.

Bravo to you guys who were able to make it, it sounds like it was fun. Was a little late for me.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' post=\'212621\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 06:07 PM\']
I think it's unfair that you couldn't get a picture simply because you didn't buy the book at borders.
[/quote]

Why? It's store policy...and I might add a good one, because you keep the people who are there just to be there from dominating the proceedings.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cmjb13

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212613\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 05:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'212600\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 12:45 PM\']
I was tempted to go to this, but having to spend $9 for train and at least $12 (NJ) for parking, I couldn't justify it.
[/quote]

$12 for parking? Where the hell are you taking the train from?

/and yes, that's a serious question.
[/quote]
Elizabeth, NJ train station.. $9 round trip and since the parking garage is across the street, it's at least $12. (my folks live closer to elizabeth and easier to catch a train from there)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:39:49 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 04:54:53 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212628\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 05:31 PM\']
Why? It's store policy...and I might add a good one, because you keep the people who are there just to be there from dominating the proceedings.[/quote]
Is that standard policy, though? I've never been to a book signing that had a policy like that. Admittedly, the sample size isn't huge, and I've never been to one at a large chain bookstore (they're always small indie-ish places), but that's a first on me.

(Also, the people I'm more interested in getting something signed by aren't usually Big Huge Celebrities, so that might have a little to do with it, too.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »
[quote name='TroubadourNando' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:54 PM' post='212625']
[quote name='Kevin Prather' post='212622' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:13 PM']

I would hope that people that are true fans of TPIR wouldn't waste their time or Bob's by asking questions like that. Say what you will about his "behind the scenes" turmoil, the people are there to meet a legend.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'212646\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 09:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212613\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 05:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'212600\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 12:45 PM\']
I was tempted to go to this, but having to spend $9 for train and at least $12 (NJ) for parking, I couldn't justify it.
[/quote]

$12 for parking? Where the hell are you taking the train from?

/and yes, that's a serious question.
[/quote]
Elizabeth, NJ train station.. $9 round trip and since the parking garage is across the street, it's at least $12. (my folks live closer to elizabeth and easier to catch a train from there)
[/quote]

Ah, okay.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'212724\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 12:34 PM\']
I would hope that people that are true fans of TPIR wouldn't waste their time or Bob's by asking questions like that. Say what you will about his "behind the scenes" turmoil, the people are there to meet a legend.[/quote]
Absolutely concur. I may not like the man, but it's not worth ruining the day for the fanbois. Let them have their day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'212732\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 01:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'212724\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 12:34 PM\']
I would hope that people that are true fans of TPIR wouldn't waste their time or Bob's by asking questions like that. Say what you will about his "behind the scenes" turmoil, the people are there to meet a legend.[/quote]
Absolutely concur. I may not like the man, but it's not worth ruining the day for the fanbois. Let them have their day.
[/quote]
Yeah, I was sort of being tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't actually do that, but in my base, prurient nature, I'd chuckle on the inside if someone did.

calliaume

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'212671\' date=\'Apr 11 2009, 03:54 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212628\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 05:31 PM\']
Why? It's store policy...and I might add a good one, because you keep the people who are there just to be there from dominating the proceedings.[/quote]
Is that standard policy, though? I've never been to a book signing that had a policy like that. Admittedly, the sample size isn't huge, and I've never been to one at a large chain bookstore (they're always small indie-ish places), but that's a first on me.
[/quote]
It might be at Borders, which is a big honkin' chain that's having enough trouble keeping it together as it is.  Very few indies draw authors anymore (we have one that does here in Naperville, Andersons, which is still doing okay despite being blocks away from a B&N).  Frankly, they make more money that way, and it's a pain in the rear determining if you bought the book there or not -- it's easy to pull the Borders price sticker off and say "I got it somewhere else!"

The only time I ever brought a book I'd gotten somewhere else to be autographed was when "Cousin" Bruce Morrow was making an appearance at Macy's (the flagship store).  Macy's isn't known for book sales, so I figured I was safe (and I was, although Bruce spent five minutes slobbering all over me when he found out I worked for SMP; turned out he had another book in the hopper and was looking for a publisher).