Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker in NY  (Read 6685 times)

whewfan

Bob Barker in NY
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »
Well, I achieved my lifelong dream to meet Bob Barker! I brought my camera, thinking the batteries were fully charged, but for some reason, the camera failed me at the most important time! Thankfully Brian Schwartz had the hindsight to take a pic of me and Bob with his camera. Use up that roll of film fast Brian :-)

I've never been to New York before. The bus ride up was 90 minutes longer because it was a half hour late, then there was a big accident by the Lincoln Tunnel. Still I met up with Chuck Donegan, Brian Schwartz and Brian Sapinki, who I am sure will also comment.

There was Bob, in a grey striped suit, white shirt and purple tie. It was the same suit he wore on the Today Show appearance earlier. The line moved very quickly and before I knew it, I was face to face with Bob. I shook his hand, he smiled, and signed my book. We couldn't get behind the table, but we still got a pic of each other across the table. For me, it was an "out of body" experience. I didn't get to say very much, except to tell him that it was my lifelong dream to meet him. He seemed touched by what I said, and he said "well, I hope you enjoy the book". His face was heavily made up, but to me, he still looks really good. One impression I got of Bob is that he seemed timid, but that could be because he didn't want to draw more attention by speaking in his booming voice that we're used to hearing.  

The Borders staff was trying to move the line fast, and at one point, they got so fast that they forgot to hand some people back their books that Bob autographed, and some people didn't get pictures. Perhaps Bob had limited time to sign all the books, but the photos and books should've been better organized.

Overall, it was a good experience for me, I just wish my camera worked! I missed my 9pm bus, so I had to wait for the 10:45 bus. Thankfully, the bus ride home was MUCH smoother, and I actually arrived in Baltimore a half hour early! Before I left for New York, I had bought Bob's book AND the audio CD, which I'll give my take on as soon as I am done with it.

TheLastResort

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »
Sounds like you had a nice time.  I wonder how many autographed copies of Bob's book will end up on eBay...

tpirfan28

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
I also made it down to NYC for the signing. First in line. Completely worthwhile experience. I loved it.

Here's a picture of me and Bob...

...and here's his autograph.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

tvwxman

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'212591\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 10:53 AM\']
I also made it down to NYC for the signing. First in line. Completely worthwhile experience. I loved it.

Here's a picture of me and Bob...

...and here's his autograph.
[/quote]

Good for you - how long did you wait - and how many were there when the gig started?

Just curious.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TheLastResort

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'212590\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 09:37 AM\'] As of this moment, three for bid, one "for sale". [/quote]

Priceless!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'212592\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 11:51 AM\']
Good for you - how long did you wait - and how many were there when the gig started?

Just curious.
[/quote]
I got there at 12:45pm, per the previous thread's advice. Nobody there.

Went for a walk, got some McDonald's, cane back at 2pm. Nobody there.

First person other than me showed up at about 3:15, and he REALLY didn't wanna be there.

The real fans started showing up at about 3:45.

By showtime, the line stretched around shelves and out the door...I'd say about 600 or 700 people in total.
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

Stevek83

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »
I was there, too. I got there around 6:30. By the time I was getting closer to Bob, I was told that they aren't taking pictures anymore, because it was taking up too much time. Oh well, I still got to see Bob and get my book signed. This was like a dream come true for me. He is the first celebrity I've met.

Whoever posted the link about Borders, I thank you very much!

cmjb13

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' post=\'212598\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 01:23 PM\']
I was there, too. I got there around 6:30. By the time I was getting closer to Bob, I was told that they aren't taking pictures anymore, because it was taking up too much time. Oh well, I still got to see Bob and get my book signed. This was like a dream come true for me. He is the first celebrity I've met.

Whoever posted the link about Borders, I thank you very much!
[/quote]
See, I was told that he would be taking photos which kind of surprised me. Kind of dickish to do photos for some but not others.

I was tempted to go to this, but having to spend $9 for train and at least $12 (NJ) for parking, I couldn't justify it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:47:05 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'212600\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 01:45 PM\']
Kind of dickish to do photos for some but not others.
[/quote]
Yeah, that was because of some incompetent Borders staff...a staff member held your camera and snapped as you got your book signed, but they neglected to tell anyone to pose, so the first few people got shots of their backs as they left the table.

After I and a few others complained, the rude, arrogant manager let us retake our pictures.

And I guess after we left, they decided no more pictures.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:27:15 PM by DoorNumberFour »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'212597\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 10:17 AM\']
First person other than me showed up at about 3:15, and he REALLY didn't wanna be there.[/quote]
So, um, if he didn't want to be there, why was he there?
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'212604\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 12:26 PM\']
And I guess after we left, they decided no more pictures.[/quote]
So you guys ruined it for everybody else? Nice!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'212611\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:51 PM\']So you guys ruined it for everybody else? Nice![/quote]I fail to see how he ruined anything, since all he wanted was a properly taken (and apparently advertised) picture. I don't think that's a lot to ask and I think you are just trying to empty your snark tank for the day.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:00:47 PM by chad1m »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 05:06:47 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'212600\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 12:45 PM\']
I was tempted to go to this, but having to spend $9 for train and at least $12 (NJ) for parking, I couldn't justify it.
[/quote]

$12 for parking? Where the hell are you taking the train from?

/and yes, that's a serious question.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:07:08 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212613\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:06 PM\']
$12 for parking? Where the hell are you taking the train from?[/quote]From a quick glance at his profile on the sidebar, is says "Whitehouse Station".

If that helps at all.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker in NY
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'212614\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212613\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 04:06 PM\']
$12 for parking? Where the hell are you taking the train from?[/quote]From a quick glance at his profile on the sidebar, is says "Whitehouse Station".

If that helps at all.
[/quote]

Appreciate the effort, but from what I gathered I'm guessing he's gotta go somewhere aways to catch said train. (The station he would use apparently is limited service, from what I read.)

$9 for fare, I could understand (west Jersey and all that), but I've never heard of any train station in New Jersey charging $12 to park.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022