Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could this be the big GSN news?  (Read 14789 times)

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Could this be the big GSN news?
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
As a member of Sony Rewards, I get a monthly email notifying of the monthly specials (such as the Monthly Dream Prize®).  Part of this month's MDPrize is "A Trip for two (2) to Los Angeles to attend
The GSN Game Show Awards" on May 16th.  The accompanying picture shows a TV (a 46" HDTV and a PS3 are also part of the package) with the GSN logo.  Intriguingly, the logo has at the bottom the legend "game show network". I once posted that I thought since the "GSN: The Network for Games" rebranding was a failure, they should have changed the text below the "box" logo to reflect the "real" name of the channel (too bad the search function can't pull up the relevant post or else I'd link to it here).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

Thunder

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
On GSNRadio, they've been saying GSN - The Game Show Network for quite a while now.

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
Here is a link to what you're talking about. Interesting observation, though I'm not too sure if the Game Show Network reference is too much to get giddy about, since they do it non-chalantly all the time on GSN Radio. I could certainly be wrong though as that's a very good call. The most notable thing is at the bottom:

Don't miss the Big Saturday Night events on GSN, starting June 6th - you could win $1,000,000 in cash and prizes!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:07:30 PM by chad1m »

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
I had a feeling it was going to be some play-at-home thing with a huge potential jackpot.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

itiparanoid13

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »
It's one aspect of the big Saturday nights.  It's not the entire thing.  It's not just a potential play-at-home thing either.

All of this is really why I wish Fred wouldn't have amped people up so much because honestly, from what I've seen and heard, I have a feeling it's just going to lead to disappointment.  I'm kinda embargoed for a bit longer, but one of the things will be taping soon and I'll be able to talk more then.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:13:41 PM by itiparanoid13 »

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'212253\' date=\'Apr 5 2009, 09:46 PM\']
All of this is really why I wish Fred wouldn't have amped people up so much because honestly, from what I've seen and heard, I have a feeling it's just going to lead to disappointment.  
[/quote]

Inevitably, it always does. Remember the "big announcement" around the end of 2001? People were clamoring for "Price" (just like this time), and it turned out to be Greed.

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 05:51:17 AM »
Hm.. Doing some late night Googling, I found this neat site, apparently used for their up-front presentations. Have a look yourself, but here's a summary of some things I picked up:

The absolute biggest news is that, according to this site, GSN has acquired Deal or No Deal and 1 vs. 100.[/b] Alongside those two includes shows GSN currently features, like Pyramid and Password, so I don't know why that would not be the truth. If that is, at all, related to Big Saturday Night (which GSN describes as "big shows, big prizes"), they'll air in the time allotted for that block which looks to be 7 pm - 11 pm.

While that potential news is obviously the biggest, here are some other things that, according to that site, are or were in development at one time or another.
   - GSN looks to be developing a version of the UK game show Brainteaser, which was a hybrid studio/call-in show. Looks like PlayMania meets Inquizition.
   - Versions of the game Bunco and 20Q. The latter's pilot was hosted by Joey Lawrence and featured Ken Jennings.
   - Instant Recall, a program where a person is put into an everyday situation but then must remember minute details.
   - Star Treatment,  a Cash Cab-style program throughout L.A.. The winner ends up getting a Hollywood makeover and access to a Hollywood event.
   - GSN Daily News, a call-in/news hybrid that offers trivia questions related to news stories that viewers may try to win on if they know the correct answer.
   - Two programs called Love Roulette and Honey, Please.
   - Wake Up Call, where the contestant must answer questions... you guessed it... immediately after waking up.
   - And lastly, The GSN Host Search Tour was originally going to pick twelve candidates, all of whom would participate in an elimination/house reality show to find one final winner to host a new GSN show.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:12:39 AM by chad1m »

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'212271\' date=\'Apr 6 2009, 05:51 AM\']
   - And lastly, The GSN Host Search Tour was originally going to pick twelve candidates, all of whom would participate in an elimination/house reality show to find one final winner to host a new GSN show.
[/quote]
Ha! I thought that that one had something to do with the tour....and then they realized 'very' quickly that this was a bad idea.

(Not having a host search...having a host search contestant cattle call at a mall)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

catnap1972

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
Hm.. Doing some late night Googling, I found this neat site, apparently used for their up-front presentations. Have a look yourself, but here's a summary of some things I picked up:

The absolute biggest news is that, according to this site, GSN has acquired Deal or No Deal and 1 vs. 100.[/b]
[/quote]

Hopefully they picked up the first seasons of both (while the former was sans gimmicks and the latter didn't turn into suck)

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
I've actually thought Bunco is a good idea for a GS format (If Catch 21 is a variation of Gambit, Bunco could be a variation of High Rollers)- ...Brainteaser sounds like something that would air in the afternoons (maybe as a part of GSN Live, since it's interactive as well)...we shall see what sticks I guess..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:45:06 AM by weaklink75 »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
I like the core idea of Bunco--"how many x can you roll, how many y," but I don't know how you'd translate it into a game show that would have any sort of playalong.  In the mid-70s, B&E or H-Q would have had a shot at it--answer a question for control of the dice, etc.--but I don't see that happening today.
czambo@mac.com

tvmitch

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
I welcome the addition of 1 vs 100. However, I am a bit afraid that DoND will get run into the ground. I remember a point where GSN was running hourlong Weakest Links in daytime/early fringe, and that was just bad news. Primetime, it's fine, I guess. Just in moderation.

But it looks like they're developing enough originals and special nights that it might not be a concern.
You should follow me on Twitter

itiparanoid13

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
A few quick notes before I get the inevitable email to take it down.

Bunco was pitched, as far as I was told, straight as televised Bunco.  It apparently had the idea that if men have poker night, women can have Bunco night which is a bit sexist to begin with and really doesn't excuse the fact that watching televised Bunco is going to be brutal.  I'm quite frankly stunned they picked this one up for a pilot.  I laughed it off initially.  I'll be stunned if it gets any further.  Which means it probably will.

I've been told basically everyone important dropped off of 20Q; no Ken Jennings and no executive producer.  They're casting now and 10 episodes are taping in May.  I believe this was originally for NBC and the top prize was $500,000.  Apparently the top prize is taking quite a tumble.

Love Roulette interesting has absolutely nothing to do with roulette or randomness of any sort.  It's just a rotating set showing off different dating situations.  It's a 2waytraffic format.  Honey, Please is an Embassy Row format.

The only things I had no idea about were DoND and 1 VS 100's pickups.  So there's some good there.  Other than that, yeah, I just don't know.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:27:14 AM by itiparanoid13 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
   - Instant Recall, a program where a person is put into an everyday situation but then must remember minute details.
   - Wake Up Call, where the contestant must answer questions... you guessed it... immediately after waking up.
[/quote]
These two sound interesting, except the latter sounds like the reverse of Cram. Honestly sounds like the bonus round from that show. Instant Recall sounds a little like Hit Man, just a bit more..."interactive".

I know a few years ago (c. 2000-01), GSN came up with a very weird slate of shows (one called "Aliens Ate My Game Show" or something, and some other cockamamie concept that revolved around exercising)...good to see they've become a little more conventional...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bwood

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »
On the "upfront" site they have some clips from "The Money List". It seems to give away a lot of money per GSN standards. It looks like it will be pretty good!