Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Cancels Guiding Light  (Read 40360 times)

Casey Buck

CBS Cancels Guiding Light
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
CBS may soon decide to pull the plug on “Guiding Light,” the longest-running daytime drama in television history.

While no final decision has been made, the network’s deal for the Procter & Gamble-produced drama—the least watched of the eight daytime serials currently on the air—ends in September. But if CBS does drop “Guiding Light,” it likely would lock in a decision within the next month, people familiar with the matter said. That would give writers a chance to tie up storylines.

CBS also would need to finalize new programming for the daytime hour that “Guiding Light” would be vacating.

In the most significant indication that the network is seriously pondering life without “Guiding Light,” CBS has been talking to outside studios about potential replacement programming for the show, sources said.

Possibilities under discussion include both game shows and talk shows. CBS could easily cut its programming costs for the hour in half by switching away from a scripted drama.
Complete article at: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/cbs_sho...ght_replace.php

It would be awesome to have new network daytime game shows for the first time in 15 years, but would the affiliates still carry GL's replacement? I wouldn't be surprised if CBS simply gives the slot back to the affiliates.

MissesHolly

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'211478\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 09:50 AM\']
CBS may soon decide to pull the plug on “Guiding Light,” the longest-running daytime drama in television history.

While no final decision has been made, the network’s deal for the Procter & Gamble-produced drama—the least watched of the eight daytime serials currently on the air—ends in September. But if CBS does drop “Guiding Light,” it likely would lock in a decision within the next month, people familiar with the matter said. That would give writers a chance to tie up storylines.

CBS also would need to finalize new programming for the daytime hour that “Guiding Light” would be vacating.

In the most significant indication that the network is seriously pondering life without “Guiding Light,” CBS has been talking to outside studios about potential replacement programming for the show, sources said.

Possibilities under discussion include both game shows and talk shows. CBS could easily cut its programming costs for the hour in half by switching away from a scripted drama.
Complete article at: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/cbs_sho...ght_replace.php

It would be awesome to have new network daytime game shows for the first time in 15 years, but would the affiliates still carry GL's replacement? I wouldn't be surprised if CBS simply gives the slot back to the affiliates.
[/quote]

Now, does that mean that CBS will have a 2hour Price Is Right?

Gus

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'211478\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 08:50 AM\']
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS simply gives the slot back to the affiliates.
[/quote]
I would be surprised if they didn't. NBC for instance, between 11:00 and 6:30/5:30c, has exactly 1 hour of afternoon programming. Giving time back to the affiliates seems to be the trend.

Speaking of which, does it seem that there's a higher number of first-run syndicated strips overall now than in years past? Or at least, more that are getting daytime screen time?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:15:19 AM by Gus »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »
Some affiliates already air GL at 10, so maybe CBS could give 3pm back and reclaim 10am.  I'd sked "The Winner's Circle," which would be a Pyramid revival without the negative baggage of the Osmond version. I'd also slot a revival of "Match Game," this time using nine stars to take care of the straddling problem.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:47:05 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
If CBS does cancel "Guiding Light", I think they should try Rosie O' Donnell's rumored talk show there.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
Kind of a radical idea/thought, but CW did do this with Tyra Banks' talk show (taking a show from syndication and putting it on the network). Could CBS possibly try and yank Feud from syndication to join CBS' daytime lineup? Has it been renewed for sure for the new season?

itiparanoid13

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Barring some major freakish incident, Feud will be coming back next season, yes.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »
Oh, and talking about what the original post asked about CBS carrying GL's replacement, that answer would be a pretty much yes. If I'm not mistaken, only two CBS affilates don't air GL at all (WNEM in Saginaw, MI, though they do air it on their My5 subchannel and KOVR in Sacramento, ironically a CBS O&O!). Besides, with the way things are, I think affiliates want to save as much money as they can.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »
Just a thought......How about a second hour of Price? Older episodes with Barker...Since they wouldn't be seen anywhere else anyway....

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
While I'd be thrilled to see a game show back on a network, it would be sad to see Guiding Light go. It's been on the air in some way shape or form for 71 years! But it's been in the basement for a long time, so it's probably time.

SteveR

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
Affiliates will take any/every hour that's offered to them.

I'm sure most affiliates will see the 3:00 hour as a prime chance for either a) another hour of local news or b) a chance to pair up whatever combo they have of Oprah / Phil / The Drs. and the upcoming Dr. Oz shows.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:33:59 AM by SteveR »

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'211486\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 11:04 AM\']
Just a thought......How about a second hour of Price? Older episodes with Barker...Since they wouldn't be seen anywhere else anyway....  [/quote]

That would allow for comparisons between Drew and Bob. Plus it would be embarrassing if Barker's reruns got higher ratings. I think most network suits would want to avoid that.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'211488\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 10:24 AM\']

I'm sure most affiliates will see the 3:00 hour as a prime chance for either a) another hour of local news or b) a chance to pair up whatever combo they have of Oprah / Phil / The Drs. and the upcoming Dr. Oz shows.
[/quote]

Agreed, which is why I think CBS should open up the 3 pm hour for such a combo. Thus, 10 am would be perfect for a game show, to pair up with Price is Right. As said before, GL airs at 10 am in most markets anyways.

Plinko85

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »
I'd love to see PYL and CS revived, if Fremantle doesn't screw them up...

TroubadourNando

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'211488\' date=\'Mar 30 2009, 11:24 AM\']

[/quote]

The Dr.s, oddly enough, is carried at 9am here in NY. The afternoon is soaps up to Dr. Phil at 3, then an hour of Judge Judy and two hours of news.