Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrating moments as a game show fan.  (Read 12074 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Frustrating moments as a game show fan.
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'211999\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 12:17 PM\']
Well, from his vantage point on MG, maybe Allen thought Charles might be looking down on Betty.
[/quote]
Somehow, I doubt that. ;)
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'212003\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 11:39 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'211999\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 12:17 PM\']
Well, from his vantage point on MG, maybe Allen thought Charles might be looking down on Betty.
[/quote]
Somehow, I doubt that. ;)
[/quote]

He said LOOKING. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
I tend to get very frustrated when outsiders of the genre (or casual viewers) see postings, discussions and ideas by certain individuals and think their mental capacities, behaviors and concepts are representative of most fans of the programs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:25:13 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212014\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 11:20 AM\']
He said LOOKING. :)[/quote]
At any moment, someone in the game will stand up and say...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyrfan

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'211968\' date=\'Apr 3 2009, 02:08 AM\']
I once left the P+ office on a Friday afternoon with CNR and Karen Morrow booked as celebs. When I arrived at the studio Saturday morning, CNR's booking had been abruptly cancelled and someone else (I forget who) booked in his place. During rehearsal, on mic and in front of everyone assembled, there was hostility in Allen's voice as he referred to Charles as a "creep".

When I asked why Charles' booking had been cancelled I basically got "homina homina homina".
[/quote]
Also, Charles was listed in TV Guide as Mary Tyler Moore's opponent in March 1979, and Allen announced him as a guest for "next week" along with Mary on a Friday show, but Bill Cullen was there all week and not Charles.

FYI: Karen Morrow's opponents on the show were Martin Milner, Robert Walden, and Bill Cullen.

Allen did do the syndie MG (along with a PM) one more time late in his life. I wonder if this was before or after this cancellation.

Brendan

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Getting back on topic: Game show frustrations I've had.

1. The Feud-themed Old Navy ads. They used a psuedo-Combs set with way too much white. And had the host say "survey SAYS" (not "Said"), and during the "main game". Actually, any Feud parody that misuses the tagline like that grates on me.

2. I once did a crossword with the clue "The Joker's Wild host" and the answer was "Wink Martindale". That was hardly the only erronenous clue in it, even.

3. One of my local affiliates manages to show the wrong episodes of J! and Wheel at least twice a week.
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'212151\' date=\'Apr 4 2009, 03:16 PM\']
2. I once did a crossword with the clue "The Joker's Wild host" and the answer was "Wink Martindale". That was hardly the only erronenous clue in it, even.[/quote]
In their defense, Wink *did* host the version of Joker's Wild done for the CD-I in I-think-it-was-and-Wiki-backs-me-1993.

(Sun shining on a dog's ass and all that.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »
Charles was listed in TV Guide as Mary Tyler Moore's opponent in March 1979, and Allen announced him as a guest for "next week" along with Mary on a Friday show, but Bill Cullen was there all week and not Charles.
That makes sense. As I said, Bill was someone you would go to in a pinch if you needed a celeb. Perhaps MTM scotched the CNR booking? Homina homina homina.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:21:22 AM by chris319 »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'212187\' date=\'Apr 5 2009, 07:20 AM\']Homina homina homina.[/quote]

A hoppa bing-a manja, bigelow goj a-goocha maw, UH!

Oh wait, that's something else entirely.
Bobby Peacock

whewfan

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
As far as I can tell, CNR was NEVER on any of the Ludden Passwords, right?

It's possible Allen disliked CNR, but I wonder if CNR might've cancelled the booking himself for one reason or another. He was already a regular on MG, so what did he really need PW+ for? If Allen had any say over whether CNR was on the show or not, then why would he announce on the show that he would be appearing next week?

He was on Super Password for only ONE week, and as I recall, he wasn't one of the better players.

pyrfan

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2009, 01:02:28 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'212219\' date=\'Apr 5 2009, 03:42 PM\']
As far as I can tell, CNR was NEVER on any of the Ludden Passwords, right?

It's possible Allen disliked CNR, but I wonder if CNR might've cancelled the booking himself for one reason or another. He was already a regular on MG, so what did he really need PW+ for? If Allen had any say over whether CNR was on the show or not, then why would he announce on the show that he would be appearing next week?

He was on Super Password for only ONE week, and as I recall, he wasn't one of the better players.
[/quote]
Charles did do the ABC version of "Password" twice in 1974, but they were all-star weeks. As far as I can tell, he never played the game with studio contestants when Allen was the host.

From what I can tell as a viewer, while Charles loved to play games, he didn't care for the pressure of the big money. In one of the early "MG PM" episodes, he's called on for the Head-To-Head Match for $10,000 and says, "I hate this part." He did give away a $25,000 end game during his week on "Super Password," but at the end of the week, he sarcastically said, "It's such a relaxing game." He did well on "Pyramid," too, giving away $10,000 at least once, but to the best of my knowledge, he only made one appearance. Going into a commercial on "Body Language," you can hear him tell Lucille Ball that "Pyramid" was a hard game to play.

Brendan

Stevek83

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:27 AM »
I was in the waiting room at my school waiting to get advised for classes and the advisor yells, "next, come on down!" and the lady next to me walks towards the advisor and says, "haha, you sound like Bob Barker!". I didn't even bother...LOL