Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrating moments as a game show fan.  (Read 12176 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Frustrating moments as a game show fan.
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
Has anyone ever attempted to make a game show reference around you that ended up being so wrong, you just didn't know where to start correcting them or just didn't bother doing so?

This one happened to me recently: I was in the school computer lab, searching through Youtube, when I started playing a video of the Price is Right theme. A friend of mine comes up, hears it for a second, and in his best game show voice, says "Welcome to 'Jeopardy!'".

It made my head hurt.

Others?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »
I tend to realize that my friends aren't 1/1000th as game-show geeky as I am, and therefore appreciate it when my friends tolerate my little obsession instead of getting annoyed by them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'211442\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 01:25 PM\']
I tend to realize that my friends aren't 1/1000th as game-show geeky as I am, and therefore appreciate it when my friends tolerate my little obsession instead of getting annoyed by them.
[/quote]
This.

Not to say that when a situation like the aforementioned does happen, I don't chuckle a little on the inside though.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
I don't like that Wikipedia now categorizes hosts of US shows as "presenters."  I would only use that terminology for GB shows, not American.  I think of a "presenter" as being either the executive producer ("Sandy Frank Presents") or the sponsor ("Lever Brothers Presents..")

Also don't like how announcers are now called "narrators."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:39:24 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »
A friend of mine comes up, hears it for a second, and in his best game show voice, says "Welcome to 'Jeopardy!'".
"What is wrong?"

And what Mr. Lemon said.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:34:14 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
I wrote a skit to promote a play I was putting on at church.  It was your standard Jeopardy!-with-stupid-contestant skit, my fallback when I can't think of any more clever way to convey a bunch of dry information (date, time, etc., of play) in a short period of time.  Anyway, at the very end, my dumb contestant, having frustrated the host (me), asks, "When do I get to play Plinko?"  It got a fair amount of laughter, though not as much as I was expecting, and I was surprised at how many people afterward asked me what Plinko is.  I figured if there's one TPIR game that's universally known, Plinko is it.  Usually they recognized it once I gave them a brief description, but it was still surprising to me how many didn't recognize the name.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
Yeah, I probably should have clarified: I find it more funny than annoying.

There's nothing obnoxious about someone not knowing something that you do, much less someone not being a downright nerd about something you happen to be a nerd about.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
Routinely, I find myself NOT correcting people who say that Kitty Carlisle was on What's My Line, or Arlene Francis was on I've Got A Secret.  They want to show me they know a little about game shows, and they're oh-so-close, I figure I'd rather let them be pleased with themselves.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
The one that always sticks out in my mind is, when I tell my friends/acquaintances that I usually watch Price is Right in the morning before I go to school, I usually get one of two questions:

1.  That show's still on?
2.  Is that old guy still hosting it?

So far, only one of my friends actually knew Drew Carey hosts the show now without having heard it from me first...naturally, she's one of my best friends...;)

/also gets question #1 about Wheel of Fortune quite often...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211455\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 07:07 PM\']
Routinely, I find myself NOT correcting people who say that Kitty Carlisle was on What's My Line, or Arlene Francis was on I've Got A Secret.  They want to show me they know a little about game shows, and they're oh-so-close, I figure I'd rather let them be pleased with themselves.
[/quote]
Kitty once told me she has been approached by countless fans over the years who call her "Arlene" thinking she is Ms. Francis. She laughed about it, saying she never corrected them.

At least I THINK that was Kitty who told me that - it might have been Arlene   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'211458\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 10:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211455\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 07:07 PM\']Routinely, I find myself NOT correcting people who say that Kitty Carlisle was on What's My Line, or Arlene Francis was on I've Got A Secret.  They want to show me they know a little about game shows, and they're oh-so-close, I figure I'd rather let them be pleased with themselves.
[/quote]Kitty once told me she has been approached by countless fans over the years who call her "Arlene" thinking she is Ms. Francis. She laughed about it, saying she never corrected them.[/quote]
Wow, does this mean I'm as classy as Kitty Carlisle?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'211443\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 03:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'211442\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 01:25 PM\']
[/quote]
This.

[/quote]
This indeed.

It's a miracle of sorts that my wife puts up with my obsession.  Usually people change the subject when I'm in mid-sentence.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

CarShark

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »
I probably have this happen to me more when talking cars. With over 300 nameplates sold over a couple dozen brands, people get mixed up.

When something like that happens, I just put myself in that person's position. A long while ago, way waaaay back in the mid-90s, my dad was watching a rerun of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Now I didn't know much about the show at that point, so I told my dad that Captain Kirk hadn't aged well. He looked at me funny (probably wanted to make sure I wasn't yanking his chain), then smiled and corrected me. I'd like to not wallow in my own ignorance, but I don't want to feel like somehow I'm less of a human being for not knowing something already.

Not correcting someone sounds like something Kitty Carlisle would do. Why let a little thing like the truth ruin a pleasant conversation?

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211459\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 10:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'211458\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 10:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211455\' date=\'Mar 29 2009, 07:07 PM\']Routinely, I find myself NOT correcting people who say that Kitty Carlisle was on What's My Line, or Arlene Francis was on I've Got A Secret.  They want to show me they know a little about game shows, and they're oh-so-close, I figure I'd rather let them be pleased with themselves.
[/quote]Kitty once told me she has been approached by countless fans over the years who call her "Arlene" thinking she is Ms. Francis. She laughed about it, saying she never corrected them.[/quote]
Wow, does this mean I'm as classy as Kitty Carlisle?
[/quote]
I don't know.  How do you look in those ridiculous pearls?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 07:37:17 AM »
A couple I work with received a shipment of a new extra-large breadbox in the office the other day. They didn't understand why I noted it was bigger than itself.

My game show geekiness is much lower now than it was in college, but back then whenever it came out that I had a website about them, the answer was usually (from the guys: "Hey I liked the one with the Whammies!") (from the girls: backing away slowly).
@lambertman