Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would an hour long weekly version be better?  (Read 4030 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Would an hour long weekly version be better?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 02:44:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'211011\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 01:54 AM\']
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'210997\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 09:06 PM\']And there is no way that toilet itself was six grand.[/quote]
I can confirm that yes, it was.[/quote]
Having not seen the episode in question, I can only assume that for $6,000, the toilet wipes your butt for you.

/And is most likely this toilet
//This neither increases nor reduces my desire to visit Japan.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:45:21 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'211012\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 02:44 AM\']
Having not seen the episode in question, I can only assume that for $6,000, the toilet wipes your butt for you.

//This neither increases nor reduces my desire to visit Japan.
[/quote]
To me, it looked more like one of those old Computer Space machines...little bit shorter, dark blue IIRC, with an auto-open lid.

/Is this what game shows have come to?
//Are we discussing the fine details of a toilet?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

davewalls

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'211007\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 12:14 AM\']
Personally, I wouldn't mind having a $6,000 toilet.  Where can I order one??
[/quote]

Ed McMahon might have one available...
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

TheLastResort

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'211012\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 01:44 AM\']

//This neither increases nor reduces my desire to visit Japan. [/quote]

Nice!!  I didn't watch the video, but I sure hope the water is warm...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'211004\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 10:50 PM\']
Well, they're in a bind. They obviously want to offer the designer prizes to attract young females, but there's no way they're going to get the designer companies to pay for placement on a show that play at a time when their customers are[/quote]

I agree with you about what to do after they've made the decision to go designer - i.e. NOT mentioning the name is silly. But your post contains a lot of good reasons not to do it in the first place. I'm willing to bet at least some of those designers might pay for a spot.

I'll try to keep this short, but as an example, my girlfriend has made me aware of a certain swath of young girls on the internet who are interested in designer makeup. I have since bought her some MAC brand makeup for her birthday. I see it later turn up on the Price is Right. I've never heard of it before, but it apparently has that designer cache if they're using it on the show. I wonder if the company would've been interested in a show placement to get their name out there to the college crowd that undoubtedly watches Price every day. There's a portion of the audience interested, and it's a new avenue for them.

But since the show has already given literally dozens of plugs for free, what's the incentive for a Jimmy Choo to now pay? Thanks to the show, I know who Jimmy Choo is, but they made no money on the deal. If they would've waited to shoot their load, and GO to the companies first, they may not be in this bind. And I'm forgetting too, this season we're hearing a lot of brand names of things just because of some perceived "cool." Why do I care it's a certain brand of wakeboard (like on today's show, 3/23)? Obviously Drew, or somebody at the show, thinks some portion of the audience is going to care. Various video game products have gotten a similar treatment. Somebody at the show is letting the idea of sponsorship go out the window. Thankfully, grocery items have had an upturn I can't recall seeing in years.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
There's also the notion that they include the designer because that's integral information to have when estimating the price of the prize, which is the point of the game. You really think Vera Wang is hot to get her stuff on TPIR?

Back in the NBC days, "Wheel of Fortune" offered the Giorgio gift certificates--those weren't fee plugs, right? They did it to seem glamorous. And somehow, they still were successful.

A little glamour on "The Price Is Right" is hardly a bad thing. If only they'd update the set.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'211033\' date=\'Mar 23 2009, 12:04 PM\']
There's also the notion that they include the designer because that's integral information to have when estimating the price of the prize, which is the point of the game. You really think Vera Wang is hot to get her stuff on TPIR?[/quote]

Oh, that's absolutely why it's there. But, as has been topic of complaint here before, often times vital information about a prize isn't relayed. A lot of those $10,000+ showcase trips have hopelessly vague descriptions (especially when unsponsored) that never really get to the heart of why they cost so much. And I know back when Roger was steering the ship, Apple computers would show up without mention of brand. I wonder how much of the vital info on a computer goes unmentioned? It's a lot like pricing a car - two computers can look the same, but if they fail to mention it has feature X, Y and Z, you're off by a lot.

I honestly find the designer stuff neat, but they went real overboard with it, and possibly missed some opportunities at sponsorship. That's all.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck