Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PW Lightning Round  (Read 3218 times)

opimus

PW Lightning Round
« on: October 26, 2003, 11:23:32 AM »
How did they raise and lower the passwords?

rugrats1

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 12:20:02 PM »
I figure that they have a stagehand underneath to manipulate the passwords. I don't know how else they would pull it off.

Anyone agree or disagree? If the latter, then how?

Kevin Prather

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 12:23:26 PM »
I don't think it was motorized, seing as the Pyramid was done by hand, and that was 20-or-so years later. I'd say the stagehand is most likely.

Dan Sadro

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 12:58:49 PM »
I'm not sure, but I always thought it was motorized.  It's just a theory, partially based in the rule that if you passed a word, you couldn't come back to it, suggesting some sort of camshaft system attached to a motor.

If it was a stagehand, I'd sure hate to be him/her.

TV Favorites

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 02:27:43 PM »
But didn't they go back at times and reveal previous words after time expired so the contestant could see what they missed?

geno57

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 06:44:29 PM »
I remember Allen mentioning, at least once or twice, that they were operated by a pneumatic system.

Tim L

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 10:47:45 PM »
One thing that always bothered me about the lightning round.  They never let the contestant go back and get skipped words if there was time left.  Lots of potential winnings lost, In my opinion..

Tim Lones

Brandon Brooks

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 11:34:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:47 PM\'] Lots of potential winnings lost, In my opinion..
 [/quote]
 Well... not really.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 11:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 12:34 AM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:47 PM\'] Lots of potential winnings lost, In my opinion..
 [/quote]
Well... not really.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Hey, Brandon, think about it.  Fifty bucks here, fifty bucks there.  Soon you're talking about....hundreds of dollars.

OK, maybe you're right.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 09:20:51 AM »
I figure that they have a stagehand underneath to manipulate the passwords. I don't know how else they would pull it off.

I don't think it was a stage hand.  There just doesn't seem to be enough room underneath, what with two people sitting there.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

calliaume

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 12:42:50 PM »

I don't think it was a stage hand. There just doesn't seem to be enough room underneath, what with two people sitting there.

Also way too tempting for a stagehand to get distracted if there's a contestant or celebrity with a well-turned ankle playing the game.

uncamark

PW Lightning Round
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 05:08:46 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 12:42 PM\']

I don't think it was a stage hand. There just doesn't seem to be enough room underneath, what with two people sitting there.

Also way too tempting for a stagehand to get distracted if there's a contestant or celebrity with a well-turned ankle playing the game.[/quote]
Meaning that, if there was a stagehand underneath, you could just see the smiles on the CBS stage crew's faces whenever Barbara Eden did "Password"...  :)