Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monty Hall says...  (Read 11437 times)

Robair

Monty Hall says...
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
"...we're gonna bring ("Let's Make a Deal") back. I don't wanna say what network yet, because we haven't signed the deal yet."

Monty Hall told Mark Simone on the 3/7 WABC Radio Saturday Night Oldies show that "Let's Make a Deal" would be coming back to television very shortly. As for hosting, dream on, kids...Hall won't host now at his age (he officially will be listed as a consultant), but he is looking for a host, "a young Monty Hall", he specified. And apparently, the "Deal" hinges on finding a good host.

Looks like an opportunity for all those folks who didn't get the TPIR gig to show their stuff again.
--Robair

calliaume

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'209793\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 11:18 AM\']
"...we're gonna bring ("Let's Make a Deal") back. I don't wanna say what network yet, because we haven't signed the deal yet."

Monty Hall told Mark Simone on the 3/7 WABC Radio Saturday Night Oldies show that "Let's Make a Deal" would be coming back to television very shortly. As for hosting, dream on, kids...Hall won't host now at his age (he officially will be listed as a consultant), but he is looking for a host, "a young Monty Hall", he specified. And apparently, the "Deal" hinges on finding a good host.

Looks like an opportunity for all those folks who didn't get the TPIR gig to show their stuff again.
[/quote]
I believe Monty when he says he's got to get a good host.  The last three revivals have been flops primarily because of host issues (I don't think anything could have saved Big Deal).

The problem is, LMaD is a very tough show to host, and finding someone to do it as well as Monty -- who people still remember and watch -- is going to be a real challenge.

bandit_bobby

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
If LMAD comes back to primetime, I hope they'll bring back the Super Deal for $1,000,000.

BrandonFG

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »
What made Monty so great as a host was that he was charming and genuinely cared about the contestants. At the same time, he threw in a fair amount of sneaky car dealer personality, which made sense for a show called "Let's Make a Deal". The only host I've seen in recent years pull that off is Howie Mandel, and of course, he's got his own "Deal" show...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

geno57

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
The toughest part, of course, is that the host will have to memorize a different flow-chart for every show.  He'll need to remember, in an instant, what to do based on contestants' decisions.

Or perhaps not.  The new host could be outfitted with an IFB device, similar to what most news anchors wear these days.  A producer could tell the host, moment-by-moment, what to do next ... or even exactly what to say at any given moment.

Don Howard

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'209796\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 01:20 PM\']
If LMAD comes back to primetime, I hope they'll bring back the Super Deal for $1,000,000.
[/quote]
And a money ladder.
And celebrities!
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'209794\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 01:15 PM\']
The last three revivals have been flops primarily because of host issues
[/quote]
I really didn't find Bob Hilton to be terrible.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:22:13 PM by Don Howard »

chad1m

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
"You can take the $25,000 you've already won, or you can take what's behind the lovely curtain [random half-naked blonde bimbo] is behind. It'll either be $50,000 which, if you find that, you can't leave with less than or it will be an oversized rocking chair. What do you want to do? *dramatic heartbeat cue*"

Seriously, though, I hope it turns out well and I hope to see this soon.

BrandonFG

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209802\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 02:24 PM\']
"You can take the $25,000 you've already won, or you can take what's behind the lovely curtain [random half-naked blonde bimbo] is behind. It'll either be $50,000 which, if you find that, you can't leave with less than or it will be an oversized rocking chair. What do you want to do? *dramatic heartbeat cue*"
[/quote]
You forgot the "We'll see what's behind your curtain...right after this!" :-P

The one thing a new LMaD has going for it is that the last time Monty Hall hosted the show was 18 years ago. The two subsequent revivals were highly forgettable (I never saw Billy Bush's version except for a two-minute Youtube clip...he was decent). Therefore the prime demographic might not be able to say the new host is "No Monty Hall", the way folks compare Drew to Bob. I doubt the GSN reruns get enough ratings for teens/young adults to gauge a comparison.

Of course, the generations who watched in the 60s and 70s might have a say so...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

alfonzos

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »
One of the great things about LMaD was that Monty was the producer. It was as if Donald Trump came down to deal Blackjack himself.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Neumms

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
I just hope they put the merchandise behind huge billboards for Sue Bee honey and Rath canned hams.

I didn't think Billy Bush's was so bad--even "spot the transvestite" seems like a decent (or indecent) way to get them past pricing the groceries on the tray. But the successful 21st Century update of LMAD already happened and it's "Deal or No Deal." Monty's trying to bring back "$64,000 Question" after WWTBAM came out.

Sodboy13

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:19:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'209808\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 02:23 PM\']
But the successful 21st Century update of LMAD already happened and it's Australian "Deal or No Deal."
[/quote]

Just my opinion on this one.  American Deal comes across as if someone had watched LMAD and said, "Well, this has potential, but there's way too much fun in it.  We'll have to do something about that."

/2 eps up on Diwana this past week, folks
//and 2 eps of Blankety Blanks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:21:40 AM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Craig Karlberg

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:47:02 AM »
The key ingredient that made LMaD a sucess was the format.  It's all about snap decisions.  You either take this(or cash) or go for the unknown behind the box/curtain/videowall(did I just reference LMaD'90 there?). That was the core element.  What he did with it made it look like there was something different each time even when he trew in mini-games.  It all comes to a dramatic Big Deal of the Day.  This new host MUST keep the core element intact.  What to do with it is up to them, just don't ruin it & make it look like LMaD '03 all over again.  I know there's a generational divide here, but if we can see through that & get a compatant host, then we'll see what happens.

Monty, make sure you give the new host some sound advice on how to run the show.  Our faith lies in your hands.

Don Howard

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'209860\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 04:47 AM\']
Monty, make sure you give the new host some sound advice on how to run the show.  Our faith lies in your hands.
[/quote]
He'll never see this. You're on his blocked list.

calliaume

Monty Hall says...
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'209801\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 01:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'209794\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 01:15 PM\']
The last three revivals have been flops primarily because of host issues
[/quote]
I really didn't find Bob Hilton to be terrible.
[/quote]
I didn't either.  But it had only been four years since the last LMaD revival, and that was in an era where audiences seemed to have a hard time accepting anyone but the original host doing the show.  (It was also a bad era for game shows.)  Big Deal was an odd amalgam of LMaD and Truth or Consequences that Stone-Stanley threw together in about two weeks to fill space on Fox because the show that was supposed to be in that slot wasn't ready; Monty had no involvement and resolved to make sure that didn't happen again.  I didn't see the Billy Bush edition.

Here's my controversial theory:  while most games are (or can be) evergreens, it's possible three shows -- Let's Make a Deal, Match Game, and The Gong Show -- may be a lot tougher to bring back because they were evocative of a certain era, and any revival just won't feel the same to audiences (or else those who weren't exposed to the originals will wonder what all the fuss was about).  LMad belongs less in this category than the other two, but they've taken five cracks at it since the original went off the air, and none has exactly shot to the top of the charts.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Monty Hall says...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
The thing is, this is what happens when a strong personality succeeds with a weak format. LMaD *is* Monty Hall.

The people who have tried to revive this show are thinking that it revolves around people dressing up as turnips, but that isn't enough.

I do think that it's *possible* to do a proper, modern revival of Match Game (as in, I don't think either Gene Rayburn *or* the panel made the show), but I don't think today's TV producers are capable of doing it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:29:47 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe