Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Live Going on Nationwide Mall Tour  (Read 14786 times)

goongas

GSN Live Going on Nationwide Mall Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
They were done by 2:30 in Philadelphia.  I got there late so I don't know when they started, but earlier the better.  I saw on one Web site 10:00?

chad1m

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:28:25 PM »
I just noticed that there is a website where pretty much all of the information you need to know is posted: http://tour.gsn.com/

All events are from 11:30 - 4:00 local time. However, pre-screening for hosting auditions start at 10.

The "MC" of the tour is Danny Seckel, who some of you may remember from the short-lived PlayMania competitor on TBS, Midnight Money Madness.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:29:45 PM by chad1m »

pds319

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »
I was at the Philly event today as well. I'd recommend getting there about the time they open but no later than an hour afterward. They need from the looks of it 9 people to fill in the spots and once they do, those interviewed before become alternates and everybody after is out of luck.

If you make it up on stage to host, you're given about 20 questions to ask. You have to introduce yourself, the contestants and the game. Three contestants play the game and you have about seven minutes to yourself on stage. They want a nice split between being personable with the contestants and getting the questions asked (at least that's what the woman coordinating said).

Make sure to have a good deal of energy and dress well, but don't overdo it. My friend said that Adam reminded him of the hosts they have on the phone-in shows like Playmania. Have that energy since that looks to be what they're looking for, not so much a relatively traditional host. Keep that in mind.

I was surprised by the choices they made for the finalists (nothing against the two), but I think they were definitely casting for a specific type of person. Adam did a great job and he looked/acted exactly like the guy hosting the event (If anyone knows the name of the host, not Alfonso, could someone tell me; I need to name him for a photo). Put them in a room together and you'd think they were brothers. IMO I thought the first guy (Matt from MA) did a good job from the few minutes I saw and my friend said Cory did a good job as well.

So that's pretty much it. Congrats to Adam and good luck to those of you looking to audition. I can answer questions if you have them. And if anyone can give me the name of the host, I'd be very appreciative.

The "MC" of the tour is Danny Seckel, who some of you may remember from the short-lived PlayMania competitor on TBS, Midnight Money Madness.
Thanks Chad.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:51:48 PM by pds319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'209844\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM\'] I thought the first guy (Matt from MA) did a good job from the few minutes I saw [/quote]
Um...did somebody call in sick after all?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

goongas

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
I would say that the hosts need to have energy, but not come off as a used car salesman.  I think some of the auditioners, not Cory though, were either not at ease, or came off as phony.  Adam seemed very natural and at ease to me.  Also, I thought he best interacted with the contestants.  (I was Adam's second contestant in the middle podium with the blue shirt).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:17:03 PM by goongas »

chad1m

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'209844\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM\']I can answer questions if you have them. [/quote]If one gets booted for being too much of a sucktastic host, is he free to enter to play a game?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:38:34 PM by chad1m »

beatlefreak84

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »
Out of curiosity, did anyone travel a really long distance (say, more than 4 hours) to audition?  I'm really considering going to the one in St. Louis, but it's about a 6.5 hour drive from Lincoln, and that just seems like too much hassle and too much expense.

Is anyone else here going to the St. Louis one this Sunday?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209845\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'209844\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM\'] I thought the first guy (Matt from MA) did a good job from the few minutes I saw [/quote]
Um...did somebody call in sick after all?
[/quote]
coughcoughcough - huh? :)

everything said above by pds was right - they want a certain look, and i'm pretty sure 'traditional' wasn't it. Adam did a fine job and fit the look - so i wasn't surprised he was the chosen one... That said, when you personally have more hosting/television exp than Alfonso Ribero himself, it's 'kinda' disheartening.

MY OPINION : Don't travel far for this - i really think they want people to win from the cities they have chosen for this.

They're interviewing for a max of 12 hosts to go up there...so get there early is right - but I don't really think they had more than 15 people prescreen with them for what became 8 spots yesterday.

it's a fun time - not a lot of people so a reasonable chance that if you get there early, you'll win a prize or two, maybe even some cash.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:20 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'209852\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 12:57 AM\']
Is anyone else here going to the St. Louis one this Sunday?
[/quote]

I was considering it, but I believe I'll heed Matt S's advice.
@lambertman

pds319

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209850\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 11:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'209844\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM\']I can answer questions if you have them. [/quote]If one gets booted for being too much of a sucktastic host, is he free to enter to play a game?
[/quote]
You can enter to play the games at anytime, whether or not you host. In fact Matt (Sorry I thought it was MA) did host and spun the prize wheel before he hosted. You just fill out a card, it's put in a cage and blindly drawn. There seem to be no restrictions, so anyone can play.

SamPrainito

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
I'll be attending the St. Louis one this weekend, and I'll post the details on Sunday night.

After reading the comments about the Philly event, I'm feeling a bit insecure though.  

I'm definitely a more "traditional" emcee, and it might be a mistake for me to try to be something I'm not.  But, they MUST pick a winner from STL, and if no one in attendance fits the Alfonzo/"Playmania" mold, I might stand a chance!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:05:46 AM by SamPrainito »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'209859\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 03:41 AM\']That said, when you personally have more hosting/television exp than Alfonso Ribero himself, it's 'kinda' disheartening.[/quote]
I think this is why I will not be making even the 90-minute trip to Livonia, except perhaps to root Chad on.  For one thing, I'm certain I'm not the "look" they're looking for, and yeah, the last thing my ego needs is to have twentysomething PAs tell me I'm not good enough.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

goongas

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
Just a point of order, Adam lives about three hours away from Philadelphia, so he was not a local.  But yes, I agree with the comments posted.  They are not looking for traditional, and they are going for a certain look.  The judges were young as Matt O. imagined they would be.

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209876\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 11:44 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'209859\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 03:41 AM\']That said, when you personally have more hosting/television exp than Alfonso Ribero himself, it's 'kinda' disheartening.[/quote]
I think this is why I will not be making even the 90-minute trip to Livonia, except perhaps to root Chad on.  For one thing, I'm certain I'm not the "look" they're looking for, and yeah, the last thing my ego needs is to have twentysomething PAs tell me I'm not good enough.
[/quote]
The two judges other than Alfonso (make your own jokes there) were producers from GSN Live, the headguy was Gary Green, who upon further review, was one of the producers for the GSN remake of "Ive Got a Secret"...he seemed like a decent guy.

[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'209885\' date=\'Mar 9 2009, 12:59 PM\']
Just a point of order, Adam lives about three hours away from Philadelphia, so he was not a local.  But yes, I agree with the comments posted.  They are not looking for traditional, and they are going for a certain look.  The judges were young as Matt O. imagined they would be.
[/quote]

Anyone who thinks that the key to success here is wearing a suit and emulating Gene Rayburn, Bob Barker, or anyone from the old reruns, is kidding themself. That's not what they're looking for. For pete sake, half of the host contenders were wearing suits, which was more than [Alfonso was wearing.

Of the 8 contestants (including myself), all were capable at reading questions, identifying who rang in, dispersing points, and working the crowd. Some had a better voice than others, some had more excitement than others, and some fit 'the look' better than others. Again,  Adam did a fine job, and I know he'll do very well on the air in LA. He was certainly deserving of the win. Was he the best who fit the mold the producers wanted? Most definitely. But...without sounding like it's sour grapes, was he the best? Up for discussion.

That's fine that he traveled just as far as I did, but saying you live in Pennsylvania and was found at the Philly search sounds a heckuva lot more promotable than "He traveled all the way from CT just to audition", which, sounds every bit as dorky as it was, just to drive down there for this....But I certainly don't regret it , and I certainly had a good time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:37:00 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

tvwxman

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
[quote name=\'pds319\' post=\'209844\' date=\'Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM\']
IMO I thought the first guy (Matt from MA) did a good job from the few minutes I saw and my friend said Cory did a good job as well.
[/quote]
Thank you. That's nice of you to say.
-------------

Matt