Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WoF trivia page  (Read 2483 times)

alfonzos

WoF trivia page
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
Recently, I remember seeing a WoF trivia page that featured, among other factoids, the weight of The Wheel. Can anybody provide a link to said page?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

jmangin

WoF trivia page
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:05:08 PM »
There's plenty of trivia on the Wikipedia page.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:05:26 PM by jmangin »

WhammyPower

WoF trivia page
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
Is it this one?

TenPoundHammer

WoF trivia page
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'209299\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 09:05 PM\']
[/quote]

Most of which needs to be removed. I tried, but I'm pretty much the only person willing to even make a serious attempt at article cleanup/improvement/etc. within my fields of expertise (game shows, country music, retail).* I've been thinking of moving the gameplay elements to their own subarticle, since the gameplay is generally the same for all versions, and it would eliminate repeating a great deal of information in the daytime and nighttime articles.

*Only one game show related article on Wikipedia is even Good Article class out of several hundred. I think that's easily among the lowest of ANY WikiProject.

rjaguar3

WoF trivia page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209303\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 08:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'209299\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 09:05 PM\']
[/quote]

Most of which needs to be removed. I tried, but I'm pretty much the only person willing to even make a serious attempt at article cleanup/improvement/etc. within my fields of expertise (game shows, country music, retail).* I've been thinking of moving the gameplay elements to their own subarticle, since the gameplay is generally the same for all versions, and it would eliminate repeating a great deal of information in the daytime and nighttime articles.

*Only one game show related article on Wikipedia is even Good Article class out of several hundred. I think that's easily among the lowest of ANY WikiProject.
[/quote]

I try.  I seriously do.

One of the serious problems is that there are few sources for information on game shows that pass Wikipedia's reliability standards.  I know that I've scoured old newspaper articles to verify the information in the article on Legends of the Hidden Temple, and most of the page can still only be sourced from fansites (which appear reliable to me).

I do feel that I've done a lot of work.  Just two years ago, there was a page-long list of trivia for that article.  That got removed before I started editing Wikipedia.  Just three months ago, a comprehensive, unsourced, listing of temple layouts was deleted.  It's quite a bit of work, but I'm still trying to make the game show articles on Wikipedia better, one article at a time.

TenPoundHammer

WoF trivia page
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:12 AM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'209311\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 11:12 PM\']I try.  I seriously do.

One of the serious problems is that there are few sources for information on game shows that pass Wikipedia's reliability standards.  I know that I've scoured old newspaper articles to verify the information in the article on Legends of the Hidden Temple, and most of the page can still only be sourced from fansites (which appear reliable to me).

I do feel that I've done a lot of work.  Just two years ago, there was a page-long list of trivia for that article.  That got removed before I started editing Wikipedia.  Just three months ago, a comprehensive, unsourced, listing of temple layouts was deleted.  It's quite a bit of work, but I'm still trying to make the game show articles on Wikipedia better, one article at a time.
[/quote]

Good to know that someone's helping. You're right, game show articles are pretty hard to source (as are country music articles!). At least Jeopardy! has that big yellow and blue book that makes an excellent primary source.

From what I understand, we can't use fansites at all: "Links to blogs, personal web pages and most fansites, except those written by a recognized authority (this exception is meant to be very limited; as a minimum standard, recognized authorities always meet Wikipedia's notability criteria for biographies.)"

jmangin

WoF trivia page
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »
Trust me, I've tried too.  It's really a futile attempt since people add minutia like "Lime green wedges with black text" when talking about prizes on the wheel and the click sounds made by the pointers.

The level of microscopic detail found in that article still astounds me. Honestly, WTFC?

rjaguar3

WoF trivia page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'209326\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 08:21 AM\']
Trust me, I've tried too.  It's really a futile attempt since people add minutia like "Lime green wedges with black text" when talking about prizes on the wheel and the click sounds made by the pointers.

The level of microscopic detail found in that article still astounds me. Honestly, WTFC?
[/quote]

May I point you to this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...2nd_nomination)

The article is still inexplicably intact, so you can see all the...erm...detail the authors made sure to include.

I still love the comment by one user that there should be a WP:FINDANEWHOBBY policy.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
WoF trivia page
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'209329\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 10:53 AM\']
May I point you to this?

The article is still inexplicably intact, so you can see all the...erm...detail the authors made sure to include.
[/quote]

But if this article is deleted, where will I go to cite proof the next time I get in an argument with my friends over whether "the carpet on the set floor was slightly more refined" in season 2 or season 3?  WHERE, DAMMIT, WHERE!?!?!?
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

TenPoundHammer

WoF trivia page
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'209326\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 08:21 AM\']The level of microscopic detail found in that article still astounds me. Honestly, WTFC?
[/quote]

Okay, I know WTF, but WTF is WTFC?

[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'209329\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 10:53 AM\']
May I point you to this?

I still love the comment by one user that there should be a WP:FINDANEWHOBBY policy.
[/quote]

Technically it's still intact. It was just redirected to the Jeopardy! article, which I think is a bit stupid. It should've been deleted outright.

chad1m

WoF trivia page
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209363\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 05:50 PM\']WTF is WTFC?[/quote]Who TF Cares?

alfonzos

WoF trivia page
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
Is it this one?
Yes, that's it. Thank you. Continue with the threadjacking.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Steve Gavazzi

WoF trivia page
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209368\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 06:39 PM\'][quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209363\' date=\'Mar 2 2009, 05:50 PM\']WTF is WTFC?[/quote]Who TF Cares?[/quote]
TenPoundHammer does.  Now answer him, dammit!