Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR question  (Read 1777 times)

TenPoundHammer

TPIR question
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
I don't think this has been asked before, and I have tried to find the answer but to no avail. Let's say that on The Price Is Right, both contestants provide a DSW-worthy bid... but they're both the same distance apart from the price (for instance, both contestants were only $200 off). What would happen then? Would it be a double-double showcase win, where they just make two of each showcase, and give both to both contestants?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:11:44 PM by TenPoundHammer »

Matt Ottinger

TPIR question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »
There may very well be a specific rule that covers such a preposterously unlikely event in their "bible", but short of that, I can't imagine what else they could do but award both players both showcases.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TPIR question
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'209432\' date=\'Mar 3 2009, 04:33 PM\']
Would it be a double-double showcase win, where they just make two of each showcase, and give both to both contestants?
[/quote]

Per the G-R.net FAQ, yes.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SteveR

TPIR question
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
Here's another one, strictly by the letter of the rules:

In Pass the Buck: if a contestant picks the car and has picks remaining, wouldn't it be within the rules if he were to ask to continue? He'd be certifiable but wouldn't they have to let him pick again -- putting the car at risk?

Jeremy Nelson

TPIR question
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »
He can pick again, I believe. It's just a given that the contestant wants to stop- almost like when a contestant spins 90 and wins the Showcase Showdown, they never ask if they want to spin again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:32:29 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Craig Karlberg

TPIR question
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:02:23 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'209445\' date=\'Mar 3 2009, 05:32 PM\']
He can pick again, I believe. It's just a given that the contestant wants to stop- almost like when a contestant spins 90 and wins the Showcase Showdown, they never ask if they want to spin again.
[/quote]

And if I was Stan Blits, I'd be careful about playing the main theme too early in cases like that.  Who knows what kind of a mess it would be if a player suddenly changes his/her mind at the last possible second.  If say, a player then decides to go on & find the Lose Everything card, then all hell would break loose & it's up to the people in charge what the best course of action would be.  However, most likely a player wil stop the proceedings right then & there based on the assumption that they won "the big prize" or a spot in the Showcases.  So, it's better to err on the safe side & walk away than not take any chances of creating chaos.

WilliamPorygon

TPIR question
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'209466\' date=\'Mar 4 2009, 04:02 AM\']
If say, a player then decides to go on & find the Lose Everything card, then all hell would break loose & it's up to the people in charge what the best course of action would be.
[/quote]

Uh, what?  The "best course of action" — and certainly the only one S&P would allow — is to say, "Sorry, you lost, see you at the wheel you greedy bum."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:32:09 AM by WilliamPorygon »

Don Howard

TPIR question
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:27 AM »
"You both won both showcases. First time it's happened since '72. Don't forget to give your pets a vasectomy. Goodbye".
Alleged experts in the studio audience will then be scorned for daring to shout out prices as they are encouraged to do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:03:39 AM by Don Howard »