Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rules flaws, etc...  (Read 30062 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'210603\' date=\'Mar 17 2009, 06:13 PM\']How is that a flaw? Three jokers = automatic win with correct answer. Considering how often that happened...[/quote]It isn't. It violates the thing where I like games to be balanced, because the other person has no last licks, but it isn't a flaw.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
At one time, the champion spun first, which meant that conceivably a challenger could go away having never spun. (I assume this did happen at some point.) I would call that a flaw, but I agree that with the challenger spinning first, it's merely annoying.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

beatlefreak84

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2009, 02:34:51 AM »
The red categories, too many for me, ruined the flow of the game. I liked if a player missed, that gave the other player a slight advantage at times, not picking a red box to get 3 in a row in one turn essentially.

Again, I see this more as an "annoyance" rather than a flaw.  Sure; I wasn't a big fan when they brought in more red boxes so that the two players would be forced to face-off for a box, but it did make for a more exciting game (for a viewer, IMO) and cut down on ties.  And, for the "Bonus Category" that's alluded to in the second point, on the RARE instance the champion got 3 in a row on his/her first turn, the challenger was allowed to play again the very next game (they did the same thing on Bullseye if a champ simply won the game without ever giving up control).  That took care of the only flaw I saw with that category.

Lucky Seven had a flaw, back when zeros (or is it zeroes?) were used in the car price.

Uh; correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this still possible?  (Now that you mention it, I haven't really seen any cars ending in 0 lately in that game...)  And I really don't see the flaw in this; after all, "Lucky Seven" is a game that requires you to know at least a little something about the price of a car.  And, wouldn't the same "flaw" exist with 9's in the price?

\A real flaw:  Chris Wylde being allowed to host a game show...

Anthony
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:36:17 AM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Loogaroo

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'210629\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 01:34 AM\']A real flaw:  Chris Wylde being allowed to host a game show...[/quote]

That's not a flaw, that's a crime against humanity.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Robair

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2009, 04:55:29 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'210629\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 02:34 AM\']
And I really don't see the flaw in this; after all, "Lucky Seven" is a game that requires you to know at least a little something about the price of a car.  And, wouldn't the same "flaw" exist with 9's in the price?
[/quote]
L7 is eminently winnable. But not easy and not always automatic. All you have to do is don't take a major dump on the second number, and zig when the price of the car zigs, and zag when the price of the car zags. The way it's usually set up, there's a predominace of extreme numbers (1, 2, 9 and 8) in those middle two slots. Recipe for disaster.
--Robair

Ian Wallis

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
At one time, the champion spun first, which meant that conceivably a challenger could go away having never spun. (I assume this did happen at some point.) I would call that a flaw, but I agree that with the challenger spinning first, it's merely annoying.

It did happen occasionally (I think GSN even ran an episode or two when it did), but Jack would always mention that challenger would get to play another game.  Nobody ever left without having at least one spin.

As for the three jokers rule, it kind of bugged me too.  If the player who got the three jokers had one additional turn, I would have liked to have seen the other player also get a chance so that they had the same number of turns.  However, the odds of three jokers coming up two spins in a row was pretty remote.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'210629\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 01:34 AM\']
Again, I see this more as an "annoyance" rather than a flaw.  Sure; I wasn't a big fan when they brought in more red boxes so that the two players would be forced to face-off for a box, but it did make for a more exciting game (for a viewer, IMO) and cut down on ties.  

A real flaw:  Chris Wylde being allowed to host a game show...
[/quote]

To me, ties causing good, long matches and large pots are what made Tic Tac Dough sort of interesting. Otherwise, the game was just the same thing over and over. Witty, interesting writing may have helped, of course.

And I hadn't thought of "Taboo-ooooooo" in ages. Damn them! It coulda been something!

Neumms

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
A "Split Second" question, from someone who only watched it for the cars: How often did the leader going into the Countdown Round, who only needed 3 answers to win, get all 3 on the first question?

It seems like that would happen a lot, or were the questions so hard a player could seldom all 3?

Matt Ottinger

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210645\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 11:25 AM\']It seems like that would happen a lot, or were the questions so hard a player could seldom all 3?[/quote]
It happened occasionally, but it was made clear on the air that that was the advantage you earned by winning the main game.  That's compleetly different than someone being handed an advantage arbitrarily.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'210651\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 11:57 AM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210645\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 11:25 AM\']It seems like that would happen a lot, or were the questions so hard a player could seldom all 3?[/quote]
It happened occasionally, but it was made clear on the air that that was the advantage you earned by winning the main game.  That's compleetly different than someone being handed an advantage arbitrarily.
[/quote]

Definitely. I just wonder if it would be less anti-climactic if it took 4 correct answers to win (raising the other two accordingly).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210653\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 10:08 AM\']
Definitely. I just wonder if it would be less anti-climactic if it took 4 correct answers to win (raising the other two accordingly).[/quote]
Well, that's how the Monty Hall version did it, wasn't it? 5, 6, and 7, I think?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210653\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 12:08 PM\']
Definitely. I just wonder if it would be less anti-climactic if it took 4 correct answers to win (raising the other two accordingly).
[/quote]

They went 4-5-6 in the '80s revival, which is about the only thing from that version I prefer.  Unfortunately, they mixed up the order of the format, turning the game into a "buzz first, think later" affair.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'210655\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 10:12 AM\']
They went 4-5-6 in the '80s revival, which is about the only thing from that version I prefer.[/quote]
That's right. My mistake.
Unfortunately, they mixed up the order of the format, turning the game into a "buzz first, think later" affair.
I'm not sure what you mean here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'210644\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 11:22 AM\']
And I hadn't thought of "Taboo-ooooooo" in ages. Damn them! It coulda been something!
[/quote]

I think Chris Wylde was the least of "Taboo"'s problems...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

Rules flaws, etc...
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'210657\' date=\'Mar 18 2009, 01:24 PM\']
Unfortunately, they mixed up the order of the format, turning the game into a "buzz first, think later" affair.
I'm not sure what you mean here.[/quote]
I think I know what he's talking about, thought I don't remember enough about the Monty version to describe exactly what its problem was.

On the original series, one of the things that made the game interesting from a strategy perspective was that you didn't have to wait for Kennedy to finish the question.  The first person to buzz in would interrupt the question and could answer based on what he thought the question was going to be.  Regardless of whether the first player was right or wrong, Kennedy would then finish the question for the other two players.  That is a tricky thing to do right in a high-speed game, which is one of the reasons he was so justly praised for his work on that show.

Monty's version was different.  He finished the question before he took any answers.  I can't remember whether players had to wait for the entire question to be finished before they could signal or if, even worse, they could buzz in early and still get to hear the entire question.  If it was the latter, that would certainly be a "buzz first, think later" scenario.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.