Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game 85  (Read 38126 times)

Don Howard

Match Game 85
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'208717\' date=\'Feb 24 2009, 01:14 PM\']
I wonder if the 1985 year had anything to do with the book "Total Television" listing 1985 as a year that MG was on...
[/quote]
Given their propensity for accuracy, I suspect that is exactly how 1985 came to be considered the target year.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game 85
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »
Someone told that story once during a radio interview, but attributed it to the 1990 revival of MG. Said that old Gene was signed, sealed and delivered, until the producers realized Gene was that old. Tell you the truth, I had no idea he was as old as he was when I was enjoying him on the 7x series.

Oh, and the person in that radio interview? Hardly an Internet hacker. Guy's name was Charles Nelson Reilly.
What I've heard from people inside the company is that Bert Convy was their first choice for '90, until he became unavailable for obvious reasons. Gene was not considered for that version. Goodson knew how old Gene was, so I dispute Charles' account of it.

BillCullen1

Match Game 85
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
IIRC, Gene appeared on a talk show in the 90s (might have been Geraldo, not sure). He said Mark Goodson pitched the MG '90 pilot to ABC with him as the host. When ET revealed his age, ABC told Goodson "We want a younger guy." I think Art Fleming was on the same show and CNR called in to talk to Gene.

Goodson didn't have a problem with age, the networks did. Rayburn, Cullen, Ludden and Barker all worked for Goodson when they were over 60.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:19:15 PM by BillCullen1 »

Matt Ottinger

Match Game 85
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'208829\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 03:18 PM\'] When ET revealed his age, ABC told Goodson "We want a younger guy." [/quote]
I know this is the story, but I also know this is the story as told by Gene who might have a slightly biased view of the whole thing, you think?   It makes for an interesting story, which is what entertainers like Gene and CNR know how to do to elicit sympathy, but to my knowledge no one's ever corroborated it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Match Game 85
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'208828\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 03:06 PM\']
Someone told that story once during a radio interview, but attributed it to the 1990 revival of MG. Said that old Gene was signed, sealed and delivered, until the producers realized Gene was that old. Tell you the truth, I had no idea he was as old as he was when I was enjoying him on the 7x series.

Oh, and the person in that radio interview? Hardly an Internet hacker. Guy's name was Charles Nelson Reilly.
What I've heard from people inside the company is that Bert Convy was their first choice for '90, until he became unavailable for obvious reasons. Gene was not considered for that version. Goodson knew how old Gene was, so I dispute Charles' account of it.
[/quote]

I raise the following, though, just because I think it kinda sounds plausible...

Even though Goodson had the final say (for obvious reasons), do you think that if enough of his staff raised a stink over Rayburn's age, would it have been enough to sway him to go somewhere else if indeed he was the first choice?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game 85
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »
By 1990 Rayburn had already been let go from Break the Bank, so perhaps some combination of Goodson and ABC agreed that Rayburn's best days were behind him. My memory is dim -- was Mike Brockman at ABC at the time?

Toward the end of the Brett and Charles version, Goodson was unhappy with the show in general and Gene in particular (I read the memo).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:37:29 PM by chris319 »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Match Game 85
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 10:45:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'208856\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 10:36 PM\']
Toward the end of the Brett and Charles version, Goodson was unhappy with the show in general and Gene in particular (I read the memo).
[/quote]
That's interesting. Why?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TimK2003

Match Game 85
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'208859\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 11:45 PM\']
[/quote]
That's interesting. Why?
[/quote]

I don't have any credible reasoning as to why Mr. Goodson was unhappy about the show in its final years, but I didn't like the show's final years either.

My reason is that the shows were edited so much (they trimmed down the think music/contestant banter to 2 or 3 seconds).  There were many times in which before I could think of a good answer they were already repeating the contestant's response.

/This era of Match Game would make Jeopardy look like Primetime Deal or No Deal in terms of speed.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Match Game 85
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'208869\' date=\'Feb 26 2009, 09:03 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'208859\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 11:45 PM\']
[/quote]
That's interesting. Why?
[/quote]
I don't have any credible reasoning as to why Mr. Goodson was unhappy about the show in its final years, but I didn't like the show's final years either.
[/quote]
I agree, the editing of the celebrity banter took a lot of entertainment value out of the show. Also, a lot of the "crazy antics" during those episodes seemed forced...Gene running around the studio as part of his entrance, switching positions with Betty, McLean, Charles, etc.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

Match Game 85
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'208876\' date=\'Feb 26 2009, 12:04 PM\']
I agree, the editing of the celebrity banter took a lot of entertainment value out of the show. Also, a lot of the "crazy antics" during those episodes seemed forced...Gene running around the studio as part of his entrance, switching positions with Betty, McLean, Charles, etc.
[/quote]
I couldn't think of the right way to explain why I'm not a fan of the latter episodes, but this about sums it up, so thank you. :-)

I think the editing and the loss of Richard both hurt the show. Richard had great chemistry with the cast, and it was sorely missed when he left. McLean was okay, and so was Bill Daily, but the chemistry just wasn't there like with Richard.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

Match Game 85
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
Around the time MG90 premiered, I remember reading a Gene Rayburn interview from (I think) AP where he claimed he openly lobbied to host the show (not sure if this was before or after Convy pulled out), but was turned down for being "too old," then claimed "Entertainment Tonight" revealing his age to the world ruined his career.  He also criticized Ross Shafer's hosting of the show.

It's odd that Rayburn would openly complain about his age being revealed to the world when, for years, his age was revealed at least once a year in the AP's "This Day in History/Happy Birthday" release, and was published in numerous newspapers and broadcast on numerous radio and TV stations.  It certainly could not be a secret in Hollywood.

While age may have been a factor in Rayburn not getting the chance to host revivals in 1987 and 1990, I have to wonder if he brought himself down for becoming cantankerous and difficult in his later years.  Perhaps he had a reputation in the 60s and 70s, but little has been revealed.  What's known about his "negative reputation" seem to focus on the 80s and 90s.  (MG/HS battles over Jon Bauman and show quality, leaving BtB85, interviews over the "ET incident" and MG90, openly criticizing his successors, etc.)

Neumms

Match Game 85
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'208859\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 10:45 PM\']
[/quote]
That's interesting. Why?
[/quote]

While awaiting Chris's response, I wonder if it's how the drinks hit them. In earlier years, they would be tipsy and delightful. In the syndicated years, they looked tired. Gene seemed to go through the motions, letting the game slide. He did seem to get a huge kick out of McLean. I do, too, but McLean never really shifted into game mode like other panelists did.

calliaume

Match Game 85
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
Remember Goodson wasn't (allegedly) particularly happy with the show's humor to begin with.

The last couple of years were pretty bad, but mostly because there weren't any "new" additions to the panel that people liked.  I mean, I know people here liked McLean, but by 1981, he pretty much carried the stench of failure with him, deserved or not.  And the show needed a little influx of youth -- when the show started, irregulars like Elaine Joyce, Fannie Flagg, and Patti Deutsch were still in their late 20s, but by the end, who was really young?  Debralee Scott?

I can see how people missed Gene's age -- anyone who had been in the business for awhile should have been able to piece together he was at least in his 60s, but I don't think they thought he was 70 in 1987.  There were no 70-year-old hosts at that point.

TimK2003

Match Game 85
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'208891\' date=\'Feb 26 2009, 03:32 PM\']
Around the time MG90 premiered, I remember reading a Gene Rayburn interview from (I think) AP where he claimed he openly lobbied to host the show (not sure if this was before or after Convy pulled out), but was turned down for being "too old," then claimed "Entertainment Tonight" revealing his age to the world ruined his career.  He also criticized Ross Shafer's hosting of the show.
[/quote]

IMHO, if anything hurt Gene's career. or brought his chances down on hosting another MG revival, it would have been his performance on the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.   Granted, the quality of the show wasn't as good, and they had a lot more stiffs on MGHSH  than the on 7x run...

Jimmy Owen

Match Game 85
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
MGHS had nothing to do with that.  Trade magazine ads for a new version with Gene as host ran during a subsequent NATPE.  A good portion of this forum is surmising now it must have been for fall 87.  That makes sense because Goodson had TPIR in strip syndication for 85-86 and Card Sharks for 86-87.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:19:05 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.