Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN schedule upheaval March 30th  (Read 46496 times)

TroubadourNando

GSN schedule upheaval March 30th
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'208662\' date=\'Feb 23 2009, 12:47 PM\']
Oh well, at least I won't have to watch the annoying new "hey look at us polishing our logo" bug any more...that thing gets real annoying real fast.
[/quote]

QFT.

They could afford to tone down the Feud and throw out some surprises, maybe some of the lesser-known Stewart catalogue like Go and Pass the Buck in the late-night slots where Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Double Dare '76 and Beat The Clock '79 were.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
They could afford to tone down the Feud and throw out some surprises, maybe some of the lesser-known Stewart catalogue like Go and Pass the Buck in the late-night slots where Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Double Dare '76 and Beat The Clock '79 were.

Those are good choices.  I'd actually like to see something from the rarely used Barry-Enright library too - Break the Bank and CBS Joker's Wild would be nice additions!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
I'd like to see two very late-night half-hours a night where short-run series could be aired in their entirety and then put back into mothballs.  You could get six to eight shows run in a year.  Maybe call it "For Fans Only" to entice the non-fans :)  Failing that, maybe have a GSN On Demand service that would be recordable.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvmitch

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'208813\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 01:02 PM\']
Failing that, maybe have a GSN On Demand service that would be recordable.
[/quote]
Holy crap, if there was a GSN OD and it was semi-decent, I'd never get anything done.
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208776\' date=\'Feb 24 2009, 11:10 PM\']They could afford to tone down the Feud and throw out some surprises, maybe some of the lesser-known Stewart catalogue like Go and Pass the Buck in the late-night slots where Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Double Dare '76 and Beat The Clock '79 were.[/quote]
I realize when you say "they could afford..." you're not strictly talking in a financial sense, but there are a couple people on GSN's board who are making proclamations about what GSN ought to be able to "afford" to do based on no knowledge whatsoever about their finances.  Yes, for fans, it would be swell to see forgotten gems from the Stewart library, but let's not lose sight of the fact that any show they get costs them money, and buying something only to show it in the wee hours does not make a lot of sense.

If the rumors and suppositions are true, we are at the end of the era where the entire kit and non-TPIR kaboodle of G-T stuff was all covered under one big agreement.  And convential wisdom has been that since Sony's now only a partner in GSN with Liberty, even the Sony product isn't as free for the taking as it once was.  I think the practical upshoot of all of that is the end (for now, maybe) of less mainstream-popular older shows popping up on the network.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'208831\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 05:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208776\' date=\'Feb 24 2009, 11:10 PM\']They could afford to tone down the Feud and throw out some surprises, maybe some of the lesser-known Stewart catalogue like Go and Pass the Buck in the late-night slots where Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Double Dare '76 and Beat The Clock '79 were.[/quote]
I realize when you say "they could afford..." you're not strictly talking in a financial sense, but there are a couple people on GSN's board who are making proclamations about what GSN ought to be able to "afford" to do based on no knowledge whatsoever about their finances.  Yes, for fans, it would be swell to see forgotten gems from the Stewart library, but let's not lose sight of the fact that any show they get costs them money, and buying something only to show it in the wee hours does not make a lot of sense.

If the rumors and suppositions are true, we are at the end of the era where the entire kit and non-TPIR kaboodle of G-T stuff was all covered under one big agreement.  And convential wisdom has been that since Sony's now only a partner in GSN with Liberty, even the Sony product isn't as free for the taking as it once was.  I think the practical upshoot of all of that is the end (for now, maybe) of less mainstream-popular older shows popping up on the network.
[/quote]

Good points. You're right that I was just using "they could afford" in a figure-of-speech sense, though you aren't going to see me go on some GSN-esque rant about how they could show Joker and the entire Stewart library 26 times a day (there is a reason I haven't visited GSN's forums in about six months after all)

Honestly, it had slipped my mind about the Sony/Liberty partnership. I wonder, though, if indeed the Fremantle library is going to fracture up into many mini-contracts instead of one for Price and Feud '94 and another for everything else, what will end up filling the voids. I'd imagine we will begin seeing more Stewart (March 30th's schedule already begins this) and probably some of the more well-known Barris programs like Newlywed and Dating, with more of their typical low-budget originals filling the rest. I'd not be surprised to see them resort to expanding poker again as a short-term fix.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208846\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 07:43 PM\'] I'd not be surprised to see them resort to expanding poker again as a short-term fix.[/quote]
Me either, frankly.  Best as I can tell, poker is the only thing they've got that moves the needle when it comes to anything resembling a young demographic.  A new season of High Stakes Poker is starting up soon, and I'm sure they'll be promoting the beejeebers out of that for the next little while.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'208849\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 07:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208846\' date=\'Feb 25 2009, 07:43 PM\'] I'd not be surprised to see them resort to expanding poker again as a short-term fix.[/quote]
Me either, frankly.  Best as I can tell, poker is the only thing they've got that moves the needle when it comes to anything resembling a young demographic.  A new season of High Stakes Poker is starting up soon, and I'm sure they'll be promoting the beejeebers out of that for the next little while.
[/quote]

Believe it or not, considering that the new HSP is starting quite soon (2 weeks, I think?) I've barely seen any promotion for it. I can't help but wonder about how much faith they actually have in it... I also have a feeling World Series of Blackjack or a similar other gambling show may end up on the air. I just can't imagine that the small handful of GSN-original World Poker Tour shows will last much longer.

/but then again, Dylan Lane Chain Reaction has survived brutal rerun abuse...

Waiter_On_The_Run

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:45 AM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'208662\' date=\'Feb 23 2009, 09:47 AM\']
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'208524\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 08:01 PM\']
You can jump down my throat all you want, but I feel that WML deserves a rest. However, I give it about three months before it comes back. (That was about the same amount of time it was off in 2002.....)
[/quote]
And here's hoping that's right.  The one show I watch on a regular basis
[/quote]

Same here. I just started watching it last year starting with the 1955 episodes. (I believe they're up to 1959 now.)

It was mentioned in this thread that GSN has been airing WML for several years. Has the entire Daly run of 1950-1967 been shown?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »
It was mentioned in this thread that GSN has been airing WML for several years. Has the entire Daly run of 1950-1967 been shown?

Yes - at least all the episodes they have access to anyway.  There are a handful from the earlier years which seemingly don’t exist anymore.

Here’s a listing of everything GSN has aired:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/St...n/2357/gsn.html

Even though I haven’t actually had GSN in a few years I’ve tried to keep up with this list!  If anyone notices anything missing please advise.  I try to do updates every couple of months or so :)
NEW LOCATION!!!

tpirfan28

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »
I wonder if Clark Pyramid starts to move the needle a little, we could see '70s Pyramid.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
i roo am goign to miss CS, if anyone cares to do trades with me who has CS episodes, you can
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

aaron sica

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'208880\' date=\'Feb 26 2009, 12:36 PM\']
I wonder if Clark Pyramid starts to move the needle a little, we could see '70s Pyramid.
[/quote]

That would be wonderful. $20,000 is my favorite out of all the versions. I know it makes the game come to a quicker conclusion, but I love the '70s tiebreaker method.  You'd never get a 43-42 score after 1st generation Pyramid.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
There was one *big* thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about the 70s versions of Pyramid. If you, by luck of the draw, got saddled with a dud of a celebrity - and it did happen - you had two strikes against you out of the gate which forced a player to work twice as hard for half the score.

43-42 ties were something to behold, surely, but at least on the post-70s episodes the better player usually won, barring a winner's circle blowout.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
There was one *big* thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about the 70s versions of Pyramid. If you, by luck of the draw, got saddled with a dud of a celebrity - and it did happen - you had two strikes against you out of the gate which forced a player to work twice as hard for half the score.

Looking back on it now, they really should have had both contestants on for the entire show, just like they did for the '80s version and '70s nighttime version.  At least that way if a contestant (or celebrity) blew a round, they'd still have another chance.  One round and out was too much pressure.  There were a few special weeks here and there where they used this format.
NEW LOCATION!!!