Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN schedule upheaval March 30th  (Read 46500 times)

Don Howard

GSN schedule upheaval March 30th
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'208531\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 09:46 PM\']
The original What's My Lines have been on the schedule somewhere pretty much as long as the network has been around.  Considering they were decades-old reruns to begin with, I think we've had ample time to have our fill of them.
[/quote]
This is true. And at least they got to the Clifton Fadiman episodes before dropping the series.
As for the G-T B&Ws, I was more of a Beat The Clock fan anyway.

golden-road

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:59 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'208534\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 11:28 PM\']
According to Wikipedia, The Davidson version and the Marshall version are both currently owned by MGM Television. The Bergeron version is co-owned by Sony Pictures Television & CBS Television Distribution. CBS holds the full format rights, as well as the rest of the Merrill Heatter/Bob Quigley library.
[/quote]

I knew that; I was wondering what "legal limbo" the Davidson HS is in?

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:28:36 AM »
Wow... I am simply stunned about the loss of classic PYL. I know I'll still have Whammy, but without its parent around, just having the kid there just isn't the same.

So... 7 years and 7 months... about as good a run as the original PYL deserved to have all along.

And if having $25K back results in only that last year being looped over and over like last time, then all bets are off, especially with anyone that complains about PYL's loop.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

tvmitch

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'208544\' date=\'Feb 21 2009, 01:28 AM\']
And if having $25K back results in only that last year being looped over and over like last time, then all bets are off, especially with anyone that complains about PYL's loop.
[/quote]
I agree here...great to see the Pyramids back on the schedule, but man, if they run those gods-be-darned last-13-weeks, I will be very disappointed.

All we ask, as a community, is to start in 1985 or 1986 with $25K. Right?

And the $100K eps should start in season 2, maybe.
You should follow me on Twitter

The Pyramids

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »
Just scanned the Buzzer article but I believe it will be the first time in six years that Blockbusters is not on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:56:24 AM by PaulD »

tyshaun1

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'208544\' date=\'Feb 21 2009, 01:28 AM\']
Wow... I am simply stunned about the loss of classic PYL. I know I'll still have Whammy, but without its parent around, just having the kid there just isn't the same.

So... 7 years and 7 months... about as good a run as the original PYL deserved to have all along.

[/quote]
Truth be told though, it was on consecutively about as long as its USA run, with about 2/3 as many episodes aired in order, as opposed to jumping around its run. My guess is that TPTB decided it was time to give the show a break, since going by the ratings I saw at PIFeedback, it was still holding its own, especially on weekends.

I'm actually more surprised that they're yanking all episodes of Card Sharks from the lineup.....

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:38:26 AM by tyshaun1 »

Pyramid80

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
I am excited that the 25k and 100k Pyramid is coming back to GSN.  I personally hope that on the 25k that they start at the beginning.  The last few times it has been on the schedule, the started with late 87.  I don't think that the 82-83 episodes have been in regular rotation since around 2000 or 2001.

Jay Temple

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
As disappointed as I am in some of the shows we're losing, getting 25KP, 100KP and prime-time Password definitely makes up for it, especially if I get a second chance to tape Kelly Grogan's shows.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Pyramid80

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'208605\' date=\'Feb 21 2009, 10:57 PM\']
getting 25KP, 100KP and prime-time Password definitely makes up for it, especially if I get a second chance to tape Kelly Grogan's shows.
[/quote]
Kelly was a great player, and a very nice woman!

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'208558\' date=\'Feb 21 2009, 08:41 AM\']
All we ask, as a community, is to start in 1985 or 1986 with $25K. Right?
[/quote]
Honestly, I'd love to see some blue-box Winner's Circle episodes, but I'll gladly take the middle part of the run, c. 1984.

/Don't really care on the year
//80s Pyramid should be one of the prime examples shown in a game show production class
///Completely flawless IMO
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Pyramids

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'208511\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 05:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'208509\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 04:18 PM\']
Press Your Luck is being dropped across the board?!
Would this be the first time since it made its GSN debut in September 2001 that it's off the schedule?
Great news about 1980s Pyramid coming back.
I also noticed that What's My Line? is getting the heavy-ho along with Bud TTTT.
[/quote]

Several people have noted that it appears much of the G/T stable is gone, short of the various incarnations of MG, FF, and Password.  New smaller contract with Fremantle, perhaps?
[/quote]

I saw (taped) 'WML' last night and saw 'Blockbusters' this am. Both times I thought how there is a possibility that soon they are going to be gone for good this spring.

If so I wonder if the recent pulling of 'Trivia Trap','Now You See it' et al from late nights was done to gradually remove the G/T stables from the schedule.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'208625\' date=\'Feb 22 2009, 05:53 PM\']
I saw (taped) 'WML' last night and saw 'Blockbusters' this am. Both times I thought how there is a possibility that soon they are going to be gone for good this spring.

If so I wonder if the recent pulling of 'Trivia Trap','Now You See it' et al from late nights was done to gradually remove the G/T stables from the schedule.
[/quote]
A trip back to the Dark Period of '97 again for sure. But then according to that train of thought, why is PYL going with it? Fremantle, yes, but G/T, no. Matter of fact, almost makes you wonder if PYL should be considered the most successful "independent" game show ever made. But that's for another time.

Also on that same train, wouldn't said Dark Period also call for a place for things like Treasure Hunt  and (especially) Tic Tac & Joker? Man... I miss 80s Joker...

At least put classic Newlywed Game on again to tie in with the new version. Or would that send the wrong signals? (Hey, the PYL/Whammy! combo always worked, even if it's in reverse order now.)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
A trip back to the Dark Period of '97 again for sure

I never thought this so-called "dark period" was really that dark.  At least for a few months it gave us a chance to see some of the lesser-known shows GSN had the rights to.  I could never figure out why, when the GT shows came back, they couldn't have kept a few of those lesser-known shows on the weekend schedule :(
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'208656\' date=\'Feb 23 2009, 12:20 PM\']
A trip back to the Dark Period of '97 again for sure
I never thought this so-called "dark period" was really that dark.  At least for a few months it gave us a chance to see some of the lesser-known shows GSN had the rights to.  I could never figure out why, when the GT shows came back, they couldn't have kept a few of those lesser-known shows on the weekend schedule :([/quote]
Agreed, and who knows?  If the all-inclusive deal with Fremantle is really over, they might need to go back to that oddball well to fill in holes.  Surely at some point they'll realize they're not doing themselves any favors running Family Feud seven times a day.

Still, this is hardly a "dark period".  Maybe light grey.  They're keeping their most popular G-T shows (including the myraid versions of Password).  For fans, it may be hard at first to get used to a GSN where all the G-T shows aren't just up on a shelf ready to get plopped in whenever they want, but that sure appears to be the case.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'208524\' date=\'Feb 20 2009, 08:01 PM\']
You can jump down my throat all you want, but I feel that WML deserves a rest. However, I give it about three months before it comes back. (That was about the same amount of time it was off in 2002.....)
[/quote]
And here's hoping that's right.  The one show I watch on a regular basis and they're yanking it for *more* Feud?  

Oh well, at least I won't have to watch the annoying new "hey look at us polishing our logo" bug any more...that thing gets real annoying real fast.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.