Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cat Deeley to guest host Millionaire next week  (Read 10578 times)

inturnaround

Cat Deeley to guest host Millionaire next week
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
To clarify my "experienced, not studied" line, what I mean is that unlike a drama which should stand up to a lot of scrutiny, a game show is often only experienced once and that the only things that really matter when making one are those that or noticed or felt in the first go-around. If you drill down too deep on a lot of these things, I'm sure you can find fault with a lot, but it's only the feeling you get from watching it the first time that really matters because that is usually the number of times the vast majority of the audience will see it.

I hope that's clear...but I'm too much in my own brain right now to step out of it and see if it is.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'208165\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 12:59 PM\']
To clarify my "experienced, not studied" line, what I mean is that unlike a drama which should stand up to a lot of scrutiny, a game show is often only experienced once and that the only things that really matter when making one are those that or noticed or felt in the first go-around. If you drill down too deep on a lot of these things, I'm sure you can find fault with a lot, but it's only the feeling you get from watching it the first time that really matters because that is usually the number of times the vast majority of the audience will see it.

I hope that's clear...but I'm too much in my own brain right now to step out of it and see if it is.
[/quote]It's certainly clear now. I was only half kidding, but the other half was serious: we make it our business to criticize wagers, choosing of consonants and deploying lifelines. But you're also right. There's a limit to everything.

Thank you for the clarification.
Travis L. Eberle

TroubadourNando

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Considering I have a pretty decent number of guns pointed at me already, I might as well give them a reason to be fired.

I enjoyed the show tremendously more during the week Billy Bush hosted. He fit what I look for.

There, I said it.

chad1m

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 07:37:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208174\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 07:26 PM\']I enjoyed the show tremendously more during the week Billy Bush hosted.[/quote]Here, let me flush your credibility for you.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'208175\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 07:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208174\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 07:26 PM\']I enjoyed the show tremendously more during the week Billy Bush hosted.[/quote]Here, let me flush your credibility for you.
[/quote]

See? This is why I was reluctant to answer the question. Because of spiteful snark like this.

chad1m

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208176\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 07:56 PM\']See? This is why I was reluctant to answer the question. Because of spiteful snark like this.[/quote]I'm only joking. Don't take it personally. =)

TroubadourNando

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'208178\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 08:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208176\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 07:56 PM\']See? This is why I was reluctant to answer the question. Because of spiteful snark like this.[/quote]I'm only joking. Don't take it personally. =)
[/quote]

Yeah, I see it now. Sorry about that.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208174\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 04:26 PM\']Considering I have a pretty decent number of guns pointed at me already, I might as well give them a reason to be fired.[/quote] Hold it. You have no "guns pointed at you already." I have been asking someone to respond to the question. Which you did...

I enjoyed the show tremendously more during the week Billy Bush hosted. He fit what I look for.
Among the guest hosts they had, I'd put him in the second tier. Below Bergeron, square with Tim Vincent. Slightly above Leeza Gibbons, and way above Roker and Price.

Thank you for answering. It does answer the question, and I don't think your idea is all that crackpot-ish.
Travis L. Eberle

TroubadourNando

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'208183\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 09:17 PM\']
Among the guest hosts they had, I'd put him in the second tier. Below Bergeron, square with Tim Vincent. Slightly above Leeza Gibbons, and way above Roker and Price.

Thank you for answering. It does answer the question, and I don't think your idea is all that crackpot-ish.
[/quote]

Interesting. I thought Bergeron was good, but not as good as he was on Squares, while Price wasn't as bad as the wide majority thought he was.

Honestly, though, I'm probably biased in favor of Billy Bush. I was in the audience for the taping of 3 of his shows and enjoyed it thoroughly, whereas I could imagine myself easily becoming bored if it was a regular taping session.

/Oddly, though, I thought I saw Meredith outside the studio a few hours before the tapings began.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 01:11:08 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'208163\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 03:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'208137\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 08:50 PM\']Or the Emmy voters screwed up. That's where I lean.[/quote] I brought it up because there are some people who do think she's doing a fine job. On the other hand, Bob Barker has a wheelbarrow-full of the things, and one was on his way out, and I think Ben Bailey should have won that one.
[/quote]

Ben Bailey's a damn good host, for a cab driver. :)

Actually. I like his style. My only concern would be would it work on another show.

I'm not as...well, militant (it was the best I could think of)...in my dislike of Meredith as he is, but my problem with her is that she doesn't raise her excitement level accordingly.
To what level, though? I realize that we're going to disagree about this, and we're as likely to agree as people on opposite sides of Republican/Democrat and Designated Hitter/The Correct Way, but no one has answered my question:

What do you want? And I don't mean "More excitement!" I mean to fill in the blank, "I think Meredith Vieira should be similar to the hosting style of..." whoever you like.

Okay, I fill the blank in with Alex Trebek. Why? He's better at playing up drama then Meredith is and does about the same with big wins as she does.

And I reiterate my point that it seems unfair that Drew Carey can be criticized for his failings (and rightfully so) yet when someone tries to do the same thing to Meredith Vieira it's treated as, well, something taboo.
Well, hang on a minute here. As much as I like Drew Carey (and a whole bunch of that liking is due to the fact that he's Not Bob) I'm right there in line to give Drew whatfor when he screws up. Like not knowing the rules to his pricing games, or No-Selling DSWs, and so on.

It's not taboo, you're just on the uphill road. It doesn't make you wrong.

I agree with you on the Drew points. And he's done quite a bit to earn himself criticism and rightfully so.

So has Meredith, IMO, and I should be able to share my criticisms. That doesn't always happen.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tomobrien

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 11:36:27 PM »
[quote name=\'mxc0427\' post=\'208157\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 11:29 AM\'] Regis just screamed and tried cracking jokes on contestants as they ponder questions from $64,000 and up. [/quote]  Funny, I never noticed it at those levels.

[quote name=\'mxc0427\' post=\'208157\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 11:29 AM\']The new evolution of Millionaire is great, and Meredith is fantastic.  [/quote] That's your opinion, to which you are of course entitled.  But perhaps you should state it as such.

Plinko85

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 01:00:13 PM »
I just saw Cat's first episode. I think she did a great job, but I think she went a bit too slowly through the first 5 questions. She can build drama well, IMO.

Julius

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Plinko85\' post=\'208278\' date=\'Feb 16 2009, 02:00 PM\']
 but I think she went a bit too slowly through the first 5 questions. She can build drama well, IMO.
[/quote]
Personally, I think that's ok as long as she don't go too slow on the first level in terms of reading the answers.
Julius May, Philadelphia PA

dale_grass

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »
Do you want drama?  Do you want excitement?  Do you want a host that pumps the room full of electricity, way past the recommended capacity?  Move over, Meredith.  Sayonara, Sajak.  What we need is the thriller, the killer, the game show pillar, Michael Tiller! (His reaction to the "contestant" "landing" on 90 cents at 1:23 is just what Millionaire needs.)

\And this is exactly why I don't post pictures of myself on the internet.  Who knows where they'll crop up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:39:35 PM by dale_grass »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 03:19:51 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'208315\' date=\'Feb 16 2009, 09:36 PM\']
Do you want drama?  Do you want excitement?  Do you want a host that pumps the room full of electricity, way past the recommended capacity?  Move over, Meredith.  Sayonara, Sajak.  What we need is the thriller, the killer, the game show pillar, Michael Tiller! (His reaction to the "contestant" "landing" on 90 cents at 1:23 is just what Millionaire needs.)

\And this is exactly why I don't post pictures of myself on the internet.  Who knows where they'll crop up.
[/quote]

The part at 1:42, though, is what makes the vid.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022