Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cat Deeley to guest host Millionaire next week  (Read 10549 times)

TroubadourNando

Cat Deeley to guest host Millionaire next week
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'208100\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 12:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208095\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 08:51 AM\']
Not that I appreciate getting jumped on for not totally condemning Cat Deeley's prospects >_>[/quote]
If you think that's why you were jumped on, then you really didn't comprehend anything that was said above.
[/quote]

Oh, I know the majority of it was because of my constant whine. I probably (scratch that, certainly) had that much coming. I only really felt like the snark at my comment about giving Deeley a chance was uncalled for, honestly.

But yeah, I've learned my lesson. No more whining about Meredith. That's the last time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208123\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 03:21 PM\']
But yeah, I've learned my lesson. No more whining about Meredith. That's the last time.[/quote]
You can whine all you like. I just think some people here would like you to cite more evidence than a single incident that happened many years ago.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TroubadourNando

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'208125\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 06:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208123\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 03:21 PM\']
But yeah, I've learned my lesson. No more whining about Meredith. That's the last time.[/quote]
You can whine all you like. I just think some people here would like you to cite more evidence than a single incident that happened many years ago.
[/quote]

She just bores me. I don't feel that she brings the right energy to the show.

She probably would be pretty good on a panel show though. That environment might be more suited to her.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208132\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 07:22 PM\']She just bores me. I don't feel that she brings the right energy to the show. [/quote]First, if that's what you think, why didn't you just say that in the beginning, as opposed to garbage like "she can't host big wins?" That's at least specific, even though I still disagree.

Second, what energy do you think should be brought to the show? I offered up turned-to-eleven mania, but I think that would be highly inappropriate for the $300 question.

She probably would be pretty good on a panel show though. That environment might be more suited to her.
She won a best host Emmy, right? Clearly someone thinks she's doing just fine.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Julius\' post=\'208017\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 11:14 AM\']
So You think You Can Dance? host Cat Deeley will be filling in for Meredith all next week on Millionaire. According to Buzzer Blog,  ABC was impressed so much by Cat guest hosting the show that she was offered the hosting gig of the long running game show entering its tenth year in America in August 2009.[/quote]
Fortunately for her, since it's multiple choice, she won't have to ask the
(audience all shouts) JUDGES!!!
for any rulings.

(If you're not familiar with SYTYCD, Cat always introduces the judges by saying, "Here are your," and then the audience finishes the sentence.  "The version I heard was," every time she tried to say the word in the first season, it came out more like "jidges".)

-- Don

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'208134\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 10:48 PM\']
[/quote]

Or the Emmy voters screwed up. That's where I lean.

I'm not as...well, militant (it was the best I could think of)...in my dislike of Meredith as he is, but my problem with her is that she doesn't raise her excitement level accordingly.

She's not Regis, not by a long shot. She's got a different style. And yeah, she has her good points and she doesn't make herself the center of attention.

But where she fails- and this, as far as I'm concerned is what does her in- is in being a little too even keeled and aloof as the game goes on. I understand that's her style to be laid back and not stereotypical game show host, but I expect a little more out of a host when a contestant gets deeper into a game (especially when the top prize is $1,000,000 and a contestant reaches the level of the game where that becomes a possibility). Maybe it's tying into her being so laid back, maybe it's because she's just not that good at showing excitement. But if you've been host of a show for seven years and you're still doing the same things, IMO the latter is the case.

Everybody jumps on Drew Carey for his failings and he's only been on TPIR for a year and a half now. Why are so many people looking to give Meredith a free pass when she's been doing it for seven seasons?

And while I don't agree with the sentiment entirely that was made concerning Meredith's lack of big win hosting ability (namely the overly harsh criticism behind it), if you look at the basis of his point it kinda makes sense. I rewatched Meredith's two million dollar wins, and although she improved slightly I felt it really wasn't as played up as it probably needed to be from her side.

My opinion.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »
Exhibit A in Meredith's ability to be properly excited: (Kevin Smith's win)
Exhibit B, a stronger example: (Nancy Christy's win)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:31:57 AM by chad1m »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:32 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'208137\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 11:50 PM\']
And while I don't agree with the sentiment entirely that was made concerning Meredith's lack of big win hosting ability (namely the overly harsh criticism behind it), if you look at the basis of his point it kinda makes sense. I rewatched Meredith's two million dollar wins, and although she improved slightly I felt it really wasn't as played up as it probably needed to be from her side.
[/quote]

I rewatched the clips a bit ago of Meredith's two millionaires.  She's laughing hysterically, screaming in excitement, and nearly in tears.  I rewatched some of Regis's millionaires.  He shouts that someone's won the million, gives them a check and a handshake, and moves.  Don't exactly know what you're talking about.

Meredith's schtick is being calm, cool, and collected.  Regis's schtick was being a smartass and yelling a lot randomly.  I've always just preferred the cool-until-necessary delivery of Meredith more than the overexcited Regis.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:38:58 AM by itiparanoid13 »

chad1m

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208141\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 12:38 AM\']Meredith's schtick is being calm, cool, and collected.[/quote]I think that's pretty necessary at a game where so much money is at stake so often. I don't want someone cracking jokes with me while I'm trying to remember something I may or may not have learned years ago.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 12:45:16 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'208142\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 12:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208141\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 12:38 AM\']Meredith's schtick is being calm, cool, and collected.[/quote]I think that's pretty necessary at a game where so much money is at stake so often. I don't want someone cracking jokes with me while I'm trying to remember something I may or may not have learned years ago.
[/quote]

Especially with the strict time limits, so strict that Meredith's legally not allowed to ask for a final answer anymore, I don't want her to be very jokey.  

I think there's a place for having more comical fun in the lower six or seven questions, and she does that well.  When it's time to get to business, she does.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 12:53:11 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'208142\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 12:40 AM\']
[/quote]

As long as it doesn't break my concentration I'm okay. Just don't do it to me in the upper levels when I really need the concentration time.

And yeah, I agree with you Chad. To a point. I don't believe that the shtick as it is should remain the same level throughout the game, which is what I see.

Exhibit A in Meredith's ability to be properly excited: (Kevin Smith's win)
Exhibit B, a stronger example: (Nancy Christy's win)

Well, I hate to drag out something that seems snarky (because it really isn't my intent here), but I present to the court Defense Exhibit A.

[quote name=\'moi\' date=\' from before\']
I rewatched Meredith's two million dollar wins, and although she improved slightly I felt it really wasn't as played up as it probably needed to be from her side.
[/quote]

If there's a proper level of excitement there, I really don't see it.

The presentation of the prize moment is done well, but the reactions to the big wins are...well, a tad underwhelming in my book. And that cancels out whatever benefit you have from the second half.

And I reiterate my point that it seems unfair that Drew Carey can be criticized for his failings (and rightfully so) yet when someone tries to do the same thing to Meredith Vieira it's treated as, well, something taboo.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

inturnaround

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 02:59:17 AM »
Meredith has been a good host, in my opinion. She's personable, she clearly roots for the contestant and feels bad when they lose and she doesn't get in the way of the game.

It's a game show and they're meant to be experienced, not studied. You could gio over the same episode with a fine tooth comb 5 times and find places where it could have been "plussed". In the end, though, I'd imagine most people who watched the Christy or Smith wins would have said they were excited when it happened...and not have even noticed what Meredith did. So even if I ceded the point that her reactions were underwhelming, I'd still say "So what?". WWTBAM is more contestant-centric than host-centric.

And really, the difference between TPiR and WWTBAM is great. Who won a Showcase isn't immediately evident. When someone becomes a Millionaire...it's self-evident...so the reveal isn't as important on Millionaire from the host.

But I think Meredith, while not being the greatest host possible, has been a very competent host. I don't have a problem with her.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:02:53 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TroubadourNando

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'208134\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 10:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208132\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 07:22 PM\']She just bores me. I don't feel that she brings the right energy to the show. [/quote]First, if that's what you think, why didn't you just say that in the beginning, as opposed to garbage like "she can't host big wins?" That's at least specific, even though I still disagree.

Second, what energy do you think should be brought to the show? I offered up turned-to-eleven mania, but I think that would be highly inappropriate for the $300 question.

[/quote]

PYLdude pretty much summed it up perfectly. When I'm watching Meredith it feels (to me) that the energy level stays the same throughout the show. The weak contestant pool of late combined with the (again imo) overly harsh time limits instated this season don't really help. Regis wasn't perfect either, but watching him I felt more excited about the game.

mxc0427

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »
Regis just screamed and tried cracking jokes on contestants as they ponder questions from $64,000 and up. Geez, let the player think and concentrate! Besides, when someone did win $1,000,000 with Regis, he just screamed "HE JUST WON A MILLION DOLLARS!", hands the check, drifts away from the player and walks back to the center stage entrance (like itiparanoid13 stated).

Meredith hugs, cries, cheers, shows excitement on her face, etc...Hell, Meredith showed more enthusiasm on players winning $100,000 and up (especially with Lyn Payne's $500,000 win). Even with Payne walking with the $500,000, Meredith still shows the same emotion as in a $1,000,000 win. Yes, it's fun to joke around here and there on the first two tiers, but once you reach that second milestone question and up, no more play. It's serious. People complain about the time limits because of the lack of interaction between host and player. First off, this interaction is done at the player's introduction, sometimes in-between questions, and from commercial breaks. There is still time to tell stories and get to know the player before playing for money. When it comes to actual game play, let the contestant think the question through, answer it and move on with the game.

Contestant Kevin Maroney (I think season Season 4 or Season 5) said it best: "We're here. We are here...in this seat...to answer questions under the lights." And that is what Millionaire is. Answering question after question to win money. Sure, it's fun to poke around here and there. It's not a biography of the contestant. Better yet, the core of the show is listening to the contestant speak thoughts out loud on what they believe the question is, what lifeline to use, the struggle between two answers, etc...

One more thing. I have to defend the clock hardcore. The time limit is there to prevent contestants from making guesses out of the blue that could cost them lots of money. What the clock does best is that it speeds up your thought process on the question so you could arrive at your BEST answer. I don't know about you, but with 10 seconds left on the clock, seeing the contestant do the "should I go with it/should I not" gestures is quite intense at the clock dwindles down. Being in the studio during questions where players were going for $100,000, $250,000 and $500,000...it is VERY intense and exciting. I have sat during games (pre-timed limit) where players took 5-10 minutes to answer Tier 2 questions. I almost fell asleep!

The new evolution of Millionaire is great, and Meredith is fantastic. If you don't like the show for whatever reason, don't watch it. Simple as that. The show still has a dedicated fan base.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'208137\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 08:50 PM\']Or the Emmy voters screwed up. That's where I lean.[/quote] I brought it up because there are some people who do think she's doing a fine job. On the other hand, Bob Barker has a wheelbarrow-full of the things, and one was on his way out, and I think Ben Bailey should have won that one.

I'm not as...well, militant (it was the best I could think of)...in my dislike of Meredith as he is, but my problem with her is that she doesn't raise her excitement level accordingly.
To what level, though? I realize that we're going to disagree about this, and we're as likely to agree as people on opposite sides of Republican/Democrat and Designated Hitter/The Correct Way, but no one has answered my question:

What do you want? And I don't mean "More excitement!" I mean to fill in the blank, "I think Meredith Vieira should be similar to the hosting style of..." whoever you like.

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'208144\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 09:53 PM\']I rewatched Meredith's two million dollar wins, and although she improved slightly I felt it really wasn't as played up as it probably needed to be from her side.[/quote]To what level do you think it should be, though? This is the

And I reiterate my point that it seems unfair that Drew Carey can be criticized for his failings (and rightfully so) yet when someone tries to do the same thing to Meredith Vieira it's treated as, well, something taboo.
Well, hang on a minute here. As much as I like Drew Carey (and a whole bunch of that liking is due to the fact that he's Not Bob) I'm right there in line to give Drew whatfor when he screws up. Like not knowing the rules to his pricing games, or No-Selling DSWs, and so on.

It's not taboo, you're just on the uphill road. It doesn't make you wrong.

[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'208147\' date=\'Feb 13 2009, 11:59 PM\']It's a game show and they're meant to be experienced, not studied. [/quote] I wish you had told me this before...

At least to me, it's interesting to go back and look over the episode. To notice things that are different. Or better or worse than the way they've been done before. If we just "experience" the show, and then don't discuss them later...there's not really a reason to have this board at all.

[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'208156\' date=\'Feb 14 2009, 08:23 AM\']When I'm watching Meredith it feels (to me) that the energy level stays the same throughout the show. [/quote] From my own experience, my "excitement", as much as it can be when it's not me and not someone I know, does increase as a contestant wins more money. I don't understand why it's a plateau from you. And I don't understand what you want from Meredith.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:10:01 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle