Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...  (Read 14983 times)

calliaume

And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'207563\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 05:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'207526\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 12:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'207525\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 12:31 PM\']
Joey Fatone -- believe *NSYNC had at least one #1 single in the U.S.[/quote]
JUST one, best as I can tell, which surprised me.  I thought for sure that was going to be another multiple-winner Curt forgot, and I was wrong.[/quote]What about Vicki Lawrence?
[/quote]
I think "The Night The Lights Went Out" was Vicki's only Top 40 single.  (EDIT:  Her other two songs, "He Did With Me" and "The Other Woman," peaked at #75 and #81, respectively.)

Everybody's right here, Donny did make it to #1 alone ("Go Away Little Girl") and with the other guys ("One Bad Apple").  I should have specified pop charts, though.

And I complete forgot about Al Roker.  I don't watch enough of the Playboy channel to have seen Daphne Duplaix.

Side tangent:  which models/hostesses have posed for Playboy?  I've got the following, and I'm sure this isn't complete:

Janice Pennington
Dian Parkinson
Heather Kozar
Elaine Stewart
Anne Pennington
Vanna White
K.C. Winkler
Teri Harrison
Cindy Margolis
Gena Lee Nolin
Nikki Ziering
Julie Lynn Cialini
Vicky McCarty (Iovine)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:44:59 PM by calliaume »

davemackey

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 07:29:35 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207569\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 04:35 PM\']
Side tangent:  which models/hostesses have posed for Playboy?  I've got the following, and I'm sure this isn't complete:

Janice Pennington
Dian Parkinson
Heather Kozar
Elaine Stewart
Anne Pennington
Vanna White
K.C. Winkler
Teri Harrison
Cindy Margolis
Gena Lee Nolin
Nikki Ziering
Julie Lynn Cialini
Vicky McCarty (Iovine)
[/quote]
What about Jenny McCarthy? Wasn't she a hostess on "Singled Out"?

xavier45

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'207586\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 07:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207569\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 04:35 PM\']

Janice Pennington
Dian Parkinson
Heather Kozar
Elaine Stewart
Anne Pennington
Vanna White
K.C. Winkler
Teri Harrison
Cindy Margolis
Gena Lee Nolin
Nikki Ziering
Julie Lynn Cialini
Vicky McCarty (Iovine)
[/quote]
What about Jenny McCarthy? Wasn't she a hostess on "Singled Out"?
[/quote]
Yes she was. We can also put Carmen Electra in this list, as she was the hostess of "Singled Out" after Jenny left.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:26:53 PM by xavier45 »

rialtus

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207569\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 01:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'207563\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 05:11 PM\']What about Vicki Lawrence?
[/quote]I think "The Night The Lights Went Out" was Vicki's only Top 40 single.  (EDIT:  Her other two songs, "He Did With Me" and "The Other Woman," peaked at #75 and #81, respectively.)[/quote]When I saw "Vicki Lawrence and Momma: A One-Woman Show" a few years back, she did a medley of her hit. Her words, not mine.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 03:59:40 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how Carnie Wilson does on The Newlywed Game for GSN.  I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the show now has a premiere date.  It's April 6.  The only other question is where will they slot this.  I hope it's not that cotton pickin' 6:30 PM ET slot now occupied by Bingo America.  That conflicts with the national news on the major networks.  As long as she doesn't look anything like that photo in the Yahoo! link, I'm fine with that.  If Davies doesn't "force" her to the cue cards, she'll be just fine.

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'207623\' date=\'Feb 5 2009, 03:59 AM\']
It'll be interesting to see how Carnie Wilson does on The Newlywed Game for GSN.  I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the show now has a premiere date.  It's April 6.
[/quote]

Maybe because the article already did?

The new edition of "The Newlywed Game" premieres April 6.

The only other question is where will they slot this.  I hope it's not that cotton pickin' 6:30 PM ET slot now occupied by Bingo America.  That conflicts with the national news on the major networks.  As long as she doesn't look anything like that photo in the Yahoo! link, I'm fine with that.
1. It's only a conflict for you. I usually don't watch the national news on the major networks, and I don't think it would have any worse effect than the other shows that air at 6:30 PM on the other 539 channels out there.

2. Her photo? Wow.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
I'm embargoed until tomorrow so I can't give massive details, but I was cleared for a bit.  The original host was supposed to be Kathy Najimi but she dropped out at the last minute.  Carnie had one day to prep and had a really bad cold, and she knocked it out of the park from the start.  I was a bit skeptical when I heard her name Tuesday, but she stunned me, fantastic choice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:12:03 AM by itiparanoid13 »

Jay Temple

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
Regarding Danny Bonaduce: I'd have to say probably not. The entry for the Partridge Family in Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles says, "recordings by David Cassidy and his stepmother Shirley Jones," with no mention of any other cast members.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
According to a thread on the GSN boards, The New NG will air at 6 pm EST, which means the early airing of Donnymid moves to another time or goes bye-bye. We'll find out soon enough.

Don Howard

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'207635\' date=\'Feb 5 2009, 11:50 AM\']
According to a thread on the GSN boards, The New NG will air at 6 pm EST
[/quote]
Which still has it in the line of fire of the quad of M*A*S*H episodes on The Hallmark Channel.
I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind about this (helping matters is the fact that I've been a Carnie Wilson fan for many years and found her early 1990s talk show very entertaining) and hope the show is successful. But the old school can't let go of the past within me still wishes that Bob Eubanks had gotten the nod. I wonder if his name was even mentioned in preliminary conversations other than to say, "Eubanks is too old so he's out".
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'207512\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 09:50 AM\']
I know we're going to hear the hue and cry of the oldliners who will be invariably pissed off that Bob Eubanks isn't going to do it.
[/quote]
And, no, I'm neither hueing, crying nor pissed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:36:23 PM by Don Howard »

calliaume

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'207640\' date=\'Feb 5 2009, 01:35 PM\']
I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind about this (helping matters is the fact that I've been a Carnie Wilson fan for many years and found her early 1990s talk show very entertaining) and hope the show is successful. But the old school can't let go of the past within me still wishes that Bob Eubanks had gotten the nod. I wonder if his name was even mentioned in preliminary conversations other than to say, "Eubanks is too old so he's out".
[/quote]
Eh.  I don't think it's so much about Eubanks himself, as about his ability to host the show; we all know Jim Lange couldn't make the show work when he had the chance.  I'm not saying Eubanks' ability to make the contestants say silly or outrageous things is particularly unique, but it's a necessary talent toward making the show work.

I also don't think GSN particularly wants a 71-year-old Eubanks, who hasn't been seen on TV regularly in 10 years, taking over.  (Of course, I think of Carnie Wilson as being "young," and she's now 40.  Well, she's younger than me, and probably thinner, too.)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »
Many said a few months back when that Paul Rodriguez ep was posted to YouTube that a few said only Bob Eubanks can host the show right.  I'm willing to give Carnie a chance to prove that wrong before passing any judgement.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

dale_grass

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'207623\' date=\'Feb 5 2009, 04:59 AM\']
The only other question is where will they slot this.  I hope it's not that cotton pickin' 6:30 PM ET slot now occupied by Bingo America.
[/quote]
Y'know, I love Bugs Bunny as much as the next guy.  But one day in my late teens I stopped and thought about what the phrase "cotton pickin'" meant.  I probably wouldn't use it in everyday conversation, if at all.

\Unless, of course, a cable channel is thinking about putting the newest revival of The Newlywed Game in a poor timeslot and moving Bingo America.

Don Howard

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 02:31:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'207673\' date=\'Feb 5 2009, 09:13 PM\']
Many said a few months back when that Paul Rodriguez ep was posted to YouTube that a few said only Bob Eubanks can host the show right.  I'm willing to give Carnie a chance to prove that wrong before passing any judgement.
[/quote]
Is it safe to consider that Carnie will do better than Paul Rodriguez?
Gary Kroeger was certainly better than Paul Rodriguez.
Upon reflection, Gary was not a bad host. And I think he's sensational as an announcer.

BrandonFG

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'207716\' date=\'Feb 6 2009, 02:31 PM\']
Gary Kroeger was certainly better than Paul Rodriguez.
Upon reflection, Gary was not a bad host. And I think he's sensational as an announcer.
[/quote]
I agree with both. The problem with NG96 (just like its sister show) was that it strayed too far from the original format, trying to be different for a 90s audience (which was apparently the trend in the mid-90s). Ironically, I remember reading an interview at the time with Brian Grazer, who produced DG's first season. He said that they changed the format because what was done in the 60s and 70s wouldn't work nowadays.

You see how that turned out...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!